“Wish we'd had more time in Portland.”

Portland Art Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$49.00*
and up
Portland Segway Tour
Ranked #13 of 453 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the oldest art museums on the west coast with an impressive collection of Native American and Asian art, plus a large modern and contemporary wing. Rotating special exhibitions bring the best of the art world to Portland.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We managed to sneak into the Carrie Weems exhibit, the day before it opened and were very glad we did. However, while transiting the two adjacent buildings, we noticed a crowd leaving the basement theatre. They had a whole program of excellent foreign art films showing. We'll plan ahead next time so we can attend some of these films.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I've been meaning to get to this museum for years, and finally did it. There will be more on my list to get through the grey winter. The body beautiful featuring Greek works was featured. The place was pretty crowded, as are most indoor attractions on a rainy weekend, would be a great escape on a quiet mid week afternoon!
Once we viewed all that was to see, we wandered around and found an amazing display of Indian artifacts, the woven blankets, beading etc were so impressive. I will be back to explore the rest. Don't miss the gift shop, some terrific gift ideas and reasonable buys. Just another reason to love Portland.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We regularly visit museums and galleries as we tour.
This is a pleasant, smaller museum with quite a nice range of art on display. When we visited there were several headline exhibits. Displays are well presented in nice spaces. Would be easy enough to spend 2 or 3 hours browsing.
In the end we were sorry to have left a contribution here and 2 things contributed to this. Firstly and less importantly we were virtually hounded out of the place as closing time neared. I have never experienced such enthusiasm for chasing people out.
Most frustrating though was the conscious decision of the board to display a photograph of a young ( now deceased) Japanese girl in the full knowledge that such an action was against the wishes of her family who are the rightful copyright owners. We thought it an exceptionally thoughtless thing to do, and to make matters worse the letter justifying the decision was placed after you viewed the photo. Any well meaning person would place a warning at the beginning of the display to allow viewers to make their own choices in advance. We felt this to be morally reprehensible. I can only begin to imagine the outrage that would be felt if the situation were reversed and an American family were disrespected the same way by a gallery in Japan.
it has taken me some time to write this review, and as I do I still feel regret and disappointment. We were sorry to have contributed our entrance fee - which was by comparison not cheap.

6  Thank Anne B
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Its been ages since I've been more than to the gift shop or sculpture garden, but they always have an exhibit that sounds interesting, and I believe they have free admission if you hit the right night of the month... maybe first friday?

Reviewed January 25, 2013

It's not huge, but you can come for a day, or even a half day and have plenty of time to see most everything. They have a great Native American collection, wonderful collections of paintings and sculptures, and almost always there is a traveling exhibit worth visiting. They also have a swell little cafe and gift shop (it's great at Christmas) and a sales/rental gallery where you can rent art for your home or your office.

Been to Portland Art Museum? Share your experiences!