“A more personal feel than larger museums”

Portland Art Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$49.00*
and up
Portland Segway Tour
Ranked #13 of 454 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the oldest art museums on the west coast with an impressive collection of Native American and Asian art, plus a large modern and contemporary wing. Rotating special exhibitions bring the best of the art world to Portland.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Coming from Philadelphia, and used to the PMA which is one of the larger art museums in the nation, I wasn't expecting much from a smaller city. I was pleasantly surprised with this museum, and really happy I went. The exhibit I saw was a traveling one, which means the curator who produced it is not from the PAM, but it was their curatorial department who chose the exhibit, so that we pleasing. Here in Phila the PMA has a lot of blockbuster-type Cezanne, Van Gogh, etc. exhibits, which are corporate-funded and mill people through inanely. I didn't get that feeling from the PAM; it felt a lot more personal (despite the typical walkie-talkie device and earpiece). I had space (not crowded at all), time, and peace while I wandered through. Because I spent so long taking in the exhibit I didn't have time to explore the rest of the museum as long as I'd like. The permanent collection wasn't huge, but I would go back for another exciting exhibit.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Amazing art museum but, dare I say it, it was a bit too big. We wanted to spend a couple hours here & it's not somewhere you can do that; it requires 4-5 hours to fully get through it. I guess too much of a good thing can be too much. :)
But, seriously, great art museum, easy walk from downtown.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Just like any museum, it's the exhibits that are what is worth rating. With that said, the Portland Art Museum is nice. They rent it out for events, and do a great job.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Portland Art Museum is not a great museum compared to other large city museums. Sometimes the traveling exhibits are good, though not always. For a good local art fix, visit some of the local galleries.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This museum is charming and easy to navigate. Security staff were helpful and the collection has just enough of various art periods to satisfy all tastes in our family, even some whimsical works for a boy who gets bored easily. It wasn't overwhelming and I could get my art museum "fix."

Been to Portland Art Museum? Share your experiences!