“Art Museum”

and up
Portland Segway Tour
Ranked #14 of 447 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the oldest art museums on the west coast with an impressive collection of Native American and Asian art, plus a large modern and contemporary wing. Rotating special exhibitions bring the best of the art world to Portland.
Portland, Oregon
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Art Museum”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

huge building across from the concert hall. great place to go on a rainy day, really beautiful.

Visited October 2011

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Hillsboro, Oregon
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Mixed Review”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I am not really sure how to review this fairly. I grew up with an Italian father and a German mother going to many European museums and lived near the Philadelphia museum of art which is pretty amazing. This one is good for a smaller city museum. What fell flat for me was the customer service which was my very first impression. I work helping people day in and day out and hope to all things I never give the impression I got today. I have waited for several years to go to this museum though I live here for the above mentioned reasons. I was very tempted to go and see the Titian - La Bella that arrived on Friday and then, I see an offer for the usual membership that is $85 for $65- so you can give it as a gift for the holidays. I'm not a holiday gal but though, hey, there's a gift for myself I can use all year, haven't been but I'll jump in with both feet. The girl at the counter who looked very up to date with her clothers and tatoos made me smile because I love Portland and how it embraces everyone, everywhere. I pull out the add for the special and she asks me who it's for- I told her it's for me, I am buying a gift for myself. She kind of half snorted and said I can't do that. I said "I can't get a gift for myself?" She said- we really can't do that. I agagin asked- so I can't get a gift for myself? Why? My husband was next to me checking coats and umbrellas and I was going to ask him to get me the gift- for crying out loud when she sighed and said they would "go ahead and do it." Ok.....THEN she turns from me to him and says- "hang onto the yellow form because this is 100% tax deductible- so you will need this when you fill out your taxes." HELLO, I let it pass because I wanted, needed a nice day. I asked my husband in the car after the day if it was weird and he said- "if that had been a man it would have been horrible and I would have assumed he had something against woman, it was very weird." So- GO- for the art. Go for the Titian. La Bella indeed!

1 Thank Claudia C
St. Augustine, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“very nice”
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Lots of good exhibits , many native american pieces of history. Nice layout and variety.

1 Thank Artificious
Portland, OR
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Portland's Amazing Treasure”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I have been to art museums all over the world, and the Portland Art Museum will hold up with the best of them (except maybe the Louvre). For a relatively small city compared to New York, Chicago or Paris, one would not expect the quality of exhibits that PAM brings to our fair city. We are very lucky to have this treasure at our doorstep.

San Diego, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Contemporary Art Collection”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I was impressed with their contemporary collection, the design of hte museum itself is also very lovely on PSU. A bit pricey on the entrance fee for a smaller museum, but worth the price.

Visited November 2011

Been to Portland Art Museum? Share your experiences!