“Avoid if you want to sleep”

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #22 of 140 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Francisco, California
“Avoid if you want to sleep”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Location was great, staff was friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. Unfortunately, this hotel fails where it matters most: sleep quality. There seems to be nothing but drywall between rooms. I was awoken multiple times by guests on either side of me, through no fault of theirs. I could hear every word spoken by adjacent guests in their normal speaking voices. I head their alarm clocks and cell phones and room phones. I also heard every word and noise in the hallway due to the generous gap under the door. I got such terrible sleep here that I only stayed 2 out of a planned 5 nights before I headed back home, exhausted. Avoid if you value sleep quality or privacy.‎

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank rocket078

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Oregon
Reviewed April 8, 2010

BEWARE! Marriot Portland City Center IS NOT what it portrays.
Save yourselves a BIG headache and DO NOT book into this one.
They will bill you a deposit WITHOUT your knowledge.
We still HAVE NOT received our deposit back and it is going on TWO weeks!
I won't book through Expedia any more either. They play games with your credit card.
But IF you MUST stay as a last resort, you had better bring something with you
to hang your clothes in or on because the 12 inch wide closet is taken up by the ironing board! The room rate $99 is totally overpriced. Even at $49 or less it would be!

1 Thank oncallcellular
Santa Clarita
Reviewed April 2, 2010

While a number of my colleagues are what I would call "Courtyard snobs," preferring to stay at a full-service Marriott, I stuck by the TA #1 ranking for hotels in Portland and went with this new Courtyard - I was not disappointed.

From the check-in experience with individual kiosks as opposed to a long counter, to the friendly service throughout the stay, this is a hotel that is doing things right. Beyond the benefit of everything being new and in good condition, the restaurant was excellent and actually appeared to be a hangout for locals in addition for a place for hotel guests. The fitness center is among the largest I have used (including full-service hotels). And the "green" features of the hotel actually made me feel good staying there.

Just a few minor drawbacks that it is only fair to mention. The hotel is just a bit on the outskirts of the downtown area of Portland and the area can get a little sketchy a few blocks northeast of the hotel (I would not go beyond Voodoo's donuts). That said, I thought the valet parking fee of $29/night for a hotel outside the city center without a self-park option was a bit on the steep side.

All in all, I would absolutely stay again. It is a full-service Marriott with the name and pricing of a Courtyard.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank FightOn
Wine Country California
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Actually, the hotel itself wasn't bad. Room was clean and well appointed, and the staff was courteous and helpful. Towels were a little flimsy, but that was minor. My issue was the $300 hold they put on my bank account without telling me. I used a debit card to guarantee the room (big mistake I have since found out) but did not intend to use that for payment. When I mentioned this at check-in I was told not to worry, I could make the change when checking out. The morning of checkout, the complimentary billing statement was slipped under the door and my debit card had been used. I let it go, figuring "oh well," (second big mistake) and didn't give it a second thought. Two days later, my checking account was overdrawn, and in talking with my bank, I Iearned that the $300 hold had been placed against the account (in addition to the room charges). The bank said this never would have happened had I used a credit card to pay (which had been my intention). I wrote to the hotel manager immediately expressing the fact that I thought it was a terribly bad business to do something like this without informing the customer. I think it might even be illegal. I've heard nothing back, and as far as I'm concerned, I will never stay at a Marriott again, in Portland or anywhere else.

1 Thank carma7
Vancouver
Reviewed March 12, 2010

I went for a vacation to Portland with my family. We really enjoyed this hotel. The room was nice and clean. The staff was very friendly and the hotel restaurant was quite good. The value for the price was excellent. We were very satisfied with our decision to go to this hotel. The only tiny draw back was the carpets (which were not that much uglier than any other hotels we have been at) but that is becoming a bit picky. Overall a great budget hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Crozet, Virginia
Reviewed March 11, 2010

I'd stay here as a tourist, too, but since I'm writing this review from the workspace I've been using to finish work on a conference presentation I figure I should focus on the practicality of the accomodations. I'm not sure when they last remodeled the rooms, but as of 3/10 most everything is state-of-the-art: digital thermostats, dual-flush eco toilets, an alarm radio with iPod dock (first time I've seen this in a hotel myself), both wi-fi and cabled Ethernet in-room access to the Internet. Lots of surfaces to spread things out on, a work desk with a roll-out typing table, good lighting. If you're a high-rolling corporate type it might not be luxurious enough, but for a simple academic like myself it's all I could ask for. This is Portland, so it goes without saying the public transport is excellent, with a MAX stop down the block. As for service, that always varies with the staff on hand at any one time, but I was given a bonus perk at check-in that wasn't part of my reservation just because the clerk decided to be nice.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Creosote
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed March 8, 2010

We just stayed one night, on a Friday. The hotel was very nice. Clean rooms with very modern furnishings and decor. Rooms were big enough, bed were comfy, there was a decent desk, the bathroom was big, the shower had wonderful, strong water pressure! Rooms were quiet. The window gave us a terrible view out along a wall. Ended up at this hotel through a priceline bid, so we got it very cheap at only 50 a night plus taxes. It's definitely worth that and more. The valet parking is a total rip off. Just google Smart Park and you'll find a city-run garage for way less. Parking overnight at the 3rd and Alder garage was 10 bucks and just a 5 minute walk. Looked like there was a closer garage for a little more too but less than the 29 dollars for valet parking. Didn't deal with the staff much but they were polite and helpful and check-in and check out. Was given some nice suggestions for a breakfast place. They apparently have free wi-fi and a business center but we didn't use either.

1 Thank thirty1flvr