“Nice Hotel in the middle of downtown”

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #22 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We are 2 adults traveling on mainly business. I will do a brief overview. Hotel in good easy location. Light rail runs right past it and takes you to Union station and about town.
We flew in and took train into city (40 easy minutes) and were a 4 block walk to hotel.

Staff was superb in this hotel, i would say some of the best, and we travel A LOT to all kinds of Marriotts. Lobby clean and nice but small if looking to meet people or hang out. There is a huge diner type restaurant attached, so a bit different than standard courtyards. We were upgraded to floor 16.
Room. Normal. King bed, good work area, fast internet and good work area. Everything was clean. Had the mini fridge and coffee maker. Large marble bath with standing shower and large vanity. I prefer a tub but didnt ask ahead. Nice touch was the coffee station on the 16th floor but that is not normal for other floors BUT they do have coffee down in the lobby.

Bed was very comfortable and the only comment i can make is it seems like they could vacume a bit better.

I am a walker so keep that in mind...i walked to the most yummy place MOTHERS cafe, 4 blocks away. It is mind blowingly great. I walked to the stores, boutiques and business with ease. I felt fairly safe, this isn't a comment on the hotel but on Portland as a whole, kinda weird vibe with interesting characters, so keep alert. Hotel was secure with using room key for the 3 elevators and gym etc. My husband used the gym and was pleased.

We have used this Marriott quite a few times so that says it all. Does the job for a decent price.

1  Thank dawn5851
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for the review. I cannot agree more that our staff are some of the best in the city. We look forward to having you back the next time you are in Portland.

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This Portland City Center Courtyard hotel puts many full service Marriotts to shame. The stylish modern lobby, the exceptionally friendly staff, the johnny-on-the-spot service...all at great Courtyard prices? Awesome! Stayed in a bright corner room on the second floor. (We had our two small pups with us, so all the families with four-legged youngsters are put on this floor. It makes getting to the ground floor for potty breaks a snap. I think the occasional barks are forgiven too, when you stay next to another dog owner...) Our room had floor to ceiling windows, a huge bathroom and nice local artist pieces throughout. The room exceeded our expectations. Special shout-outs go to the late night front desk folks and the valet who had our car ready at a moments notice and the bellman who appeared instantly at our door to take all our luggage downstairs and out to the waiting car. Bonus: great proximity to Pearl District for dining/ shopping, and fast access to the freeway to get out of town.

• Stayed: November 2013
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

What a fantastic 5 star review! Thank you so much for taking the time to let everyone know what an exceptional trip you had while staying with our property. We love our staff that we have here. We look forward to seeing you the next time you make it to Portland.

Best,

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This hotel is in a perfect location for downtown. Walking distance to food trucks, restaurants, and shopping. I don't write reviews often but was so happy with the customer service at this hotel, I had to share my story. We had a couple hiccups when staying here for 1 night before an early flight in the morning. Our room didn't have cold water so taking a shower without getting scalding hot water was impossible. I immediately called the front desk to let them know. They quickly sent up someone to check the problem, then quickly informed me they would move us to a different room. This didn't work for us because I was traveling with my grandpa who was already settled and in bed. The staff then told us to give them a call in the morning and they would provide a room for us to shower in. Later on in the middle of the night we were awoken by construction outside our window so I called to ask when this construction would stop . The staff apologized and said they would talk to the workers outside. A little annoyed at this point so why the 5 stars ?? In the morning I received a hand written card by Kevin, the night supervisor, sincerely apologizing for our concerns, and what HE personally did to ensure that we wouldn't have problems like we did at the hotel in the future. To personally take the time to turn a negative situation into a positive one says a lot about the core values this Marriott's employees have. These are behaviors you can't just train so great work in choosing this staff. They take the highest level of care when it comes to their customers and even when situations arise that may be out of their control , they will personally make it their responsibility to fix the situation as best they can. Thank you to Kevin and all the staff at this location. I will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for the wonderful 5 star review! We truly hate when hiccups happen but glad that Kevin was able to make this a positive situation. We are very thankful for the wonderful staff members we have. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland.

Sincerly,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel at the start and end of our vacation in Oregon. The first thing you should know is that it can be difficult driving to the hotel because right turns are not allowed in the 5th and 6th street blocks of downtown because the light rail, buses, etc have those lanes so you may need to go left before you can go right. Most intersections have a sign no turn but when you are going right and the sign is on the left, you may miss it.
We checked in to the hotel around 1pm and our room on the 14th floor was not available yet so they said we could get essentially the same room on the 5th floor - only difference they said is a smaller window. So we took the 5th floor and learned that there is construction going on on Oak Street at all hours. My husband is a sound sleeper and it woke him up in the middle of the night. So avoid a room facing Oak Street that is on one of the lower floors. When we came back at the end of the vacation, we stayed on the top floor, not facing Oak and had no street noise.
Coffee served in the hotel is Stumptown. Checkin was smooth. Valet efficient. Room standard - comfortable beds and shower.
Food trucks are across the street as well as several blocks away. Voodoo Donuts is a 5 minute walk. Mothers is a 5 minutes walk. Powell Books is .5 miles away. Portland City Grill with amazing views is in the building across the street.
When we left around 4:45 am, valet had our car ready for us at the street and no one from the hotel valet was outside. We went to load the car and a homeless person came up to ask us for money. He was persistent and when we tried to get back into the hotel to get a cup of coffee, we were locked out of the hotel and we had to bang on the windows to be able to get in to get a cup of coffee.
I may stay here again but would see if there is another lodging option close by first.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had to deal with the construction noise across the street. We have been able to work out a relationship with the construction crew to help eliminate the noise issues during the night and early morning hours. I hope you have the chance to try out our property again soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard Portland City Center for four nights last week, and the hotel exceeded my expectations. This hotel is small, but stylish and clean. I used the gym once, and it was (like previous reviewers said) nice sized, very clean, and better than most hotel gyms. I ate at their restaurant once, and my girlfriend and I decided to share an omelette, and without even asking, the waitress split the dish up for us to share. The staff in the hotel as well as restaurant were very nice & courteous, as with most places we encountered in Portland. Our room was a bit small, but it was modern & trendy, and the bathroom was big; my girlfriend was pretty excited to see that the soaps, shampoos and conditioners were Paul Mitchell.

The location was very ideal bc the Courtyard is located in between the Pearl District and downtown; you are in walking distance to everything that is in these two districts. The blocks are very short, so even if a place is ten blocks away, it is not that far of a walk. There are three different streets full of food carts within a five block radius; my favorite food cart on my trip was Nong's Kao Man Gai located on 10th and Alder btw. You have plenty places to eat & drink alcohol and coffee around this hotel. A car was not necessary on this trip bc 1)Portland's transportation system was so efficient; you have the max rail, the bus, & streetcar. You can buy a tri-met pass and use the pass for all these different forms of transportation. 2)Every restaurant/bar/lounge that we wanted to go to in downtown or the Pearl was walking distance. If you do decide to rent a car, there was a garage one block over, that I believe, stated 12 bucks per day. We did rent a car for one day though, and that was to explore the Columbia River Gorge, which is a must do in Portland; it's beautiful there. Hertz was located about two blocks away.

Tip: From the airport, don't bother catching an expensive cab, use the max rail. Buy a 2 hour pass for $2.50 (or if you want an all day pass, buy it for 5 bucks). Hop on the red line toward, Beaverton TC, City Center, and get off at Oak and 1st, and walk 4 short blocks up to Oak and 5th, where the hotel is located. -OR- hop on the the red line, and get off at Gateway/NE 99th TC, to transfer on the green line. Take the green line, heading toward PSU, and get off at Oak/Pine, and you'll be across the street from the hotel. To get back to the airport, walk to Oak and 1st, and hop on the red line toward the airport. After using Portland's transportation system for the first two days, I quickly became use to it, and found it really efficient and impressive.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Benny L

We love to see 5 star reviews! Thank you so much for everything you wrote about our wonderful city. Our transportation system is really hard to beat. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is an awesome hotel that it located in the heart of downtown Portland! Light rail is across the street but who needs that when you can literally walk everywhere you need to go in the greater downtown area.

The service was great! The rooms were clean, spacious and very comfortable. The gym is better than most hotel gyms with ample cardio equipment and a nice mix of dumbells and machines!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are well insulated and very quiet. I had a room that overlooked Oak Street which w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

What a great review! I am so glad that you had such a wonderful time in Portland and that our hotel helped to make that happen. We get many comments on how amazing our gym is. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

RECOMMENDED: Slight strange smell in hallways as others have noted which luckily doesn't get into rooms. I was assigned a 6th floor corner unit.

Property is in good location for most activities. Check-in uneventful. Free wired/wireless Internet of reasonable speed. Due to building construct rooms may vary. I felt my room was a tad dark even with all lights on. The dark closet stain not helping with the dim feeling. Windows are large and sealed with some street noise evident but not serious. The room is not huge and a odd small hallway leading in ate up some of the available space.

Bath area is modest size with shower enclosure. As others noted towel quality and amenities seemed a tad meager considering the room rate. Water temperature boiling (be careful) and water saving fixtures represent an eco friendly hotel, but similarly seem out of place. Bedding quality was adequate (more on an Asian hard level). Staff pleasant and helpful.

Late night eatery attached to hotel seemed full at most hours and quite convenient for quick meal.

Overall I would not hesitate to return to this property.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to see that you would not hesitate to stay with us again! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland.

Best,