WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Nice hotel in a great location for a weekend getaway. Friendly staff.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Portland City Center

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #22 of 137 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Santa Cruz, California
“Nice hotel in a great location for a weekend getaway. Friendly staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend getaway in the summer on our first trip exploring Portland.

We wanted to use our Marriott Rewards points and we were so glad we chose this location! It is very clean and nicely decorated--it must have been renovated fairly recently because I didn't even notice a scratch on the furniture, scuffs on the walls, or cracked grout in the bathroom. We had a beautiful, large-ish, corner room with a peak of the river on the 14th floor! The room was mostly quite, tho' we did occasionally hear our heavy-footed neighbor above us.

The staff were very friendly & we appreciated the free wi-fi, in-room refrigerator, in-room recycle bins, and complimentary morning Stumptown coffee in the lobby.

The location was perfect for us. We didn't need a car, at all. We took MAX from the airport, rented bikes for a few hours (Waterfront Cycles), took MAX to the Zoo & walked everywhere else (Food trucks, Saturday Market, VooDoo dounts, Powell's Bookstore, Pioneer Square...).

Didn't try the fitness center or restaurant , but they seemed nice.

Would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone wanting to be in this part of downtown Portland.

Room Tip: 1405 was a nice room with a peak of the river.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for the 5 Star review. I am please you had such a nice experience with us and that you enjoyed our hotel and location. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Portland.

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
San Rafael, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend in September for a weekend. It was very nice, clean, with friendly staff. It was conveniently located walking distance to EVERYTHING. Everything else was a MAX ride away. The Original downstairs had good food and even better cocktails. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the nice review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you will absolutely stay here again. See you soon!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for business during a week when rooms in downtown Portland were not to be had. Although I had to leave after two nights because of the hotel being completely booked prior to my reservation, I returned one night later, and was assigned an upgraded room.
WOW! Corner room, with floor to ceiling windows, and even a window in the bathroom.
Beautiful furnishings, roomy and not cluttered, and comfortable beyond belief.
Great value for downtown Portland, short walk to many restaurants, including the famous block of food wagons, warm and welcoming staff.
Loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for a NW corner room if it is available.
Green Features: Recycle bins in the bathroom, card to encourage towel re-use.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the 5 Star review. I love that you had a great experience with us. I am happy that you were able to stay in one of our corner king rooms, they do rock and you can't beat the views.

Hope you come stay with us again!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed 4 nights for business the 2 with points and certificates. Outstanding location, walkable distance to several food cart pods, the Pearl District, etc. parked a car using the valet service for the business portion, and the service was fantastic - prompt and very friendly. They suggested several places to eat, but the Original on site was great. We ate there for breakfast Sunday morning. Room was spacious with fridge and large bathroom.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We love 5 Star reviews, thank you! I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel, the restaurant, the staff and the location. We are glad that you stayed with us and hope that you return soon!

Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am going to start by stating my one and only complaint, then I'll get to the positives. This place is massively over-priced! The only thing about this hotel that could even come close to warranting their pricing of $300/night is the location. Other than that, it is the same as many Courtyard's I have strayed at for around $150. Maybe I am ignorant and perhaps $300/night is simply the "going rate" around here, but it felt way too high to me for this hotel. Yes, it has a prime location near all the best Downtown Portland attractions, but other than that, it was just a regular Courtyard hotel(not that that's a bad thing). The rooms are modern and clean, the lobby is pleasing to the eye and relaxing, and the staff is friendly. We enjoyed our room and our view from it. The bottom line, however, is this place simply is fancy enough and over-the-top enough to charge what they do. I think the plan next time will be to stay a little bit further away for half the price or if I do spend $300/night, I will look for a fancier place further away, so that I get more "bang" for my buck.

Room Tip: Higher floor = better view.
Green Features: Felt like a very "green" hotel, at least from my observations.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and the location. The summer months here in Portland are our high demand periods and yes, you will find that rates are higher in the city. Typically, we are still priced equal to or lower than most hotels in the downtown market. I hope that you come see us again!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Very good location in downtown - easily walkable to the Saturday market, Pearl District and across to the river. Seconds away from north and southbound stops on the Trimet MAX yellow line if you want to use public transport.
Hotel very clean. Bedroom and bathroom a good size and all newly fitted - although a bit boring decor, very brown and beige. My only real grumble is there's no mirror in the bedroom area only in the bathroom which is a bit of a pain if you want to do your hair/makeup whilst the other person is in the bathroom!! - surely it wouldn't cost that much to put another mirror over the desk area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you had a nice stay. Thank you for your suggestion regarding having an extra mirror. Hope to see you again the next time you are in Portland.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were traveling on business and we were not in charge of deciding on the hotels we stayed at on this trip. We spent two nights at this hotel, then stayed at a hotel on Mt. Hood, then came back to the Courtyard for the last night of the trip. The first room we stayed in was average at best. It was oddly shapen and did not appear to be a good use of space. This room had a queen size bed and the bathroom only had a shower stall that was not in arm's reach of any towel bar. The room was nicely decorated, but the bathroom was rather plain and the hair dryer looked (and worked) as if it was from the early 90's. The second room we stayed in was much bigger and utilized the space better. It had a king size bed, so I'm guessing that it probably cost more. This bathroom had a tub, but the same disappointing hair dryer. The best part of this hotel is the bar/restaraunt that is attached, "The Original." Fantastic food, creative drinks, and great happy hour prices. They also have delicious cupcakes. Any place that serves martinis next to cupcakes is a winner by me!

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. Sounds like you really enjoyed our restaurant and bar. I am happy that you were able to stay in one of our larger rooms on your second night back. We do have a few smaller rooms. I am sorry that it did not work out for you. Thank you for the feedback on the hair dryers. We take all of our guest feedback as a way to improve on the guest experience.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in Portland.