“Great value, great location, clean beautiful rooms”

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #22 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denver, Colorado
“Great value, great location, clean beautiful rooms”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for business during a week when rooms in downtown Portland were not to be had. Although I had to leave after two nights because of the hotel being completely booked prior to my reservation, I returned one night later, and was assigned an upgraded room.
WOW! Corner room, with floor to ceiling windows, and even a window in the bathroom.
Beautiful furnishings, roomy and not cluttered, and comfortable beyond belief.
Great value for downtown Portland, short walk to many restaurants, including the famous block of food wagons, warm and welcoming staff.
Loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for a NW corner room if it is available.
Green Features: Recycle bins in the bathroom, card to encourage towel re-use.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for the 5 Star review. I love that you had a great experience with us. I am happy that you were able to stay in one of our corner king rooms, they do rock and you can't beat the views.

Hope you come stay with us again!

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed 4 nights for business the 2 with points and certificates. Outstanding location, walkable distance to several food cart pods, the Pearl District, etc. parked a car using the valet service for the business portion, and the service was fantastic - prompt and very friendly. They suggested several places to eat, but the Original on site was great. We ate there for breakfast Sunday morning. Room was spacious with fridge and large bathroom.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We love 5 Star reviews, thank you! I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel, the restaurant, the staff and the location. We are glad that you stayed with us and hope that you return soon!

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am going to start by stating my one and only complaint, then I'll get to the positives. This place is massively over-priced! The only thing about this hotel that could even come close to warranting their pricing of $300/night is the location. Other than that, it is the same as many Courtyard's I have strayed at for around $150. Maybe I am ignorant and perhaps $300/night is simply the "going rate" around here, but it felt way too high to me for this hotel. Yes, it has a prime location near all the best Downtown Portland attractions, but other than that, it was just a regular Courtyard hotel(not that that's a bad thing). The rooms are modern and clean, the lobby is pleasing to the eye and relaxing, and the staff is friendly. We enjoyed our room and our view from it. The bottom line, however, is this place simply is fancy enough and over-the-top enough to charge what they do. I think the plan next time will be to stay a little bit further away for half the price or if I do spend $300/night, I will look for a fancier place further away, so that I get more "bang" for my buck.

Room Tip: Higher floor = better view.
Green Features: Felt like a very "green" hotel, at least from my observations.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and the location. The summer months here in Portland are our high demand periods and yes, you will find that rates are higher in the city. Typically, we are still priced equal to or lower than most hotels in the downtown market. I hope that you come see us again!

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Very good location in downtown - easily walkable to the Saturday market, Pearl District and across to the river. Seconds away from north and southbound stops on the Trimet MAX yellow line if you want to use public transport.
Hotel very clean. Bedroom and bathroom a good size and all newly fitted - although a bit boring decor, very brown and beige. My only real grumble is there's no mirror in the bedroom area only in the bathroom which is a bit of a pain if you want to do your hair/makeup whilst the other person is in the bathroom!! - surely it wouldn't cost that much to put another mirror over the desk area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you had a nice stay. Thank you for your suggestion regarding having an extra mirror. Hope to see you again the next time you are in Portland.

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were traveling on business and we were not in charge of deciding on the hotels we stayed at on this trip. We spent two nights at this hotel, then stayed at a hotel on Mt. Hood, then came back to the Courtyard for the last night of the trip. The first room we stayed in was average at best. It was oddly shapen and did not appear to be a good use of space. This room had a queen size bed and the bathroom only had a shower stall that was not in arm's reach of any towel bar. The room was nicely decorated, but the bathroom was rather plain and the hair dryer looked (and worked) as if it was from the early 90's. The second room we stayed in was much bigger and utilized the space better. It had a king size bed, so I'm guessing that it probably cost more. This bathroom had a tub, but the same disappointing hair dryer. The best part of this hotel is the bar/restaraunt that is attached, "The Original." Fantastic food, creative drinks, and great happy hour prices. They also have delicious cupcakes. Any place that serves martinis next to cupcakes is a winner by me!

• Stayed July 2013
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. Sounds like you really enjoyed our restaurant and bar. I am happy that you were able to stay in one of our larger rooms on your second night back. We do have a few smaller rooms. I am sorry that it did not work out for you. Thank you for the feedback on the hair dryers. We take all of our guest feedback as a way to improve on the guest experience.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in Portland.

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I would stay here anytime that I visited Portland. Helpful staff, clean, and near everything that we wanted to do in town. If you get a chance eat at one of the street carts. We also did a walking food tour....also great.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for the 5 Star review. I am pleased to know that you had a great stay and the staff was friendly. We hope to see you again.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is our second stay at this hotel, our first experience was quite enjoyable, but I have to say this this time around was mildly disappointing.

Good
- We were checked in quickly, staff was friendly.
- Location is very convenient.
- Corner rooms tend to be a bit bigger.

Bad:
- There were sticky stains on the carpet
- The bedsheets had holes in them
- House Cleaning never came to our room for cleanup even though we put the sign on the door. We left our room at 12:00pm, returned at 4:00pm to drop off some bags, the room was not cleaned. We left the room again hoping it would be clean after we return, we came back at 6:00pm, it was still not clean. We know we could have called the front desk requesting for housekeeping, but considering this was a Marriott hotel, I was mildly dissapointed.

Overall, the hotel was average. The fact that the location is so convenient, it makes up for mild imperfections during our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that our housekeeping staff fell short of your expectations. We take this very seriously. Our Housekeeping manager has addressed your comments with the staff. I can assure that this is not a norm for us I am pleased that you like our location and the staff.

We value your business and regret causing you any inconvenience.