“Great place to stay”

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #24 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This hotel is excellent overall. It is very close to the downtown and the transportation: MAX. You can take it free since the location is in the free zone. You can either walk by 5 minutes or less, or take the MAX to downtown attractions: Pioneer Place Mall, Nordstrom, Macy's, etc.

The street view from my room is great. The furnishing in the room is great. They have everything! Big enough closet and shelf. A very cool work desk with one more desk under which you can pull out. They have lovely pillows in bed and a cute big picture on the wall. The bathroom is very clean and spacious. I like the full-length mirror on the door as well. Excellent design!

The guest service line is friendly and professional. I asked for some toothpaste and shampoo, and they just sent it up right away. My boyfriend and I also tried out the in-room breakfast. It was very delicious! One little thing I would suggest: It would be really nice if the waitress could have been just shown up right on time. She came few minutes earlier than the time we chose, which was okay. But actually we were not ready yet. I still brushed my teeth so I had to rush myself and got the door for her.

The reason why I gave four instead of five stars here is about the customer service. Yes, the guest service on the phone is nice. The front desk during the time we checked in, however, was so-so. She did not interact with us much. I felt like that I smiled more than she did. She did provide us a map of the Portland. But the way she talked with us just did not seem that she cared about us as customers. I always pay close attention to the customer service especially the front desk, as they are the first face of the hotel the minute customers walk in.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you thought that the over all hotel was excellent! We hope to see you soon!

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I extended a business trip in the Portland area and decided to ditch the car and move downtown for the weekend. This Courtyard was a great choice. The location is right between the green and yellow Trimax light rail lines and is five blocks from the red Trimax line (the one that goes to the airport). You are walking distance from Old Town, the Pearl District and tons of restaurants and venues.

My room was on a higher floor and had a great view to the west overlooking the tops of some old office buildings, the hillside and glimpses of the Columbia river. The room itself was somewhat small, but the bed was comfortable. There is both wired and wireless internet with the wireless a bit slow (in my room, at least) but the wired speed was decent (2 mbps). The TV had about 30-something channels and a few of them were in hi-def. I had breakfast in the affiliated restaurant ("Original") on two of the mornings I was there and found it to be quite good.

While the accommodations at this hotel are not lavish (this is a Courtyard, after all), the location is super if you are visiting the city, especially without a car.

Room Tip: Higher floors have some good views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Thank you for the 5 Star review. We appreciate it very much! I am pleased that you had a great experience with us. Thank you for the comment about the internet, we will look into making sure that the internet is working up to its capacity. We hope to see you again at our hotel the next time you are in Portland.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The thing that sticks out the most for me was how great this place was decorated. It didn't look like a standard Marriott. It looked more like a boutique, with great art and furnishings. My room was small, but it worked fine. The room service was very fast, and the front desk staff was helpful in getting me another room when there was an issue with my reservation. The location can't be beat. It's right in the middle of Portland, within walking distance to great bars, stores and food trucks.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the nice review. Sounds like you had a great experience. We hope to see you again the next time you come to Portland.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Staff at the hotel were very nice and helpful. Good location in Portland downtown. Very expensive valet parking. Very slow and below average breakfast. I recommend going somewhere else for breakfast. No bath tubs in most rooms, old mattresses that are few inches lower one side. Weird smell. Clean though. Room itself was below average Courtyard. I would stay for $50 less/night but I think it is over priced for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations in the restaurant or the quality of the bed. I know beds can be a personal preference, and a times we don't meet those needs. Normally , we get great comments from our guests on the beds and the good night sleep they had. There is no excuse for the restaurant not meeting your needs. I will use all your comments as a way to improve upon the quality of our product and services. I am pleased that you liked our hote location and that you found the staff to be super nice.

Thank you, again.

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in May. Hotel right downtown and close to everything. Rooms standard but clean tidy and comfortable. Very good value for downtown city. Breakfast at the restaurant was not good. Food terrible service mediocre. Other than that it was all great and we would stay again!

• Stayed: May 2013
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you had a great stay with us, other than your experience in the restaurant. I apologize for that. I shared your comments with the staff in the restaurant as a way to continually improve on our service and quality. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I used a rewards night to stay here for one night at the beginning of our trip in Portland. I think this hotel is a steal at a Category 4 for Marriott. It is located on the northern end of the main Downtown area. It is just a few short blocks away from the famous Portland Saturday Market area and car rental companies. We bought 1 - Day Train passes when we got to the airport to get downtown, but never used it again because we could walk everywhere we wanted to go from our hotel. It is just about a 4 block walk from where the Red Line train drops you off coming from the airport(45 min or so ride).

The rooms them selves were modern, up to date, clean and very quiet to outside noise (this my biggest thing with hotels). The bathrooms were big with really nice showers. TV had great channel selection and bed was very comfortable.

We did not use many of the hotel amenities because we were only there for 1 night and we were out doing things most of the time, but the hotel staff was very friendly at check in and we didn't have any complaints about anything.

I would definitely consider this hotel again if I ever returned to Portland.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing river. The higher you go, the best chance of having views of Mt hood and...
1  Thank JamaicaSun27

Thank you for the nice review. I am pleased that your over all experience was great with us. We do hope that we see you again the next time you are in Portland!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

the location is really great; Pearl district, Chinatown, Waterfront Park, etc. can be reached within 5 to 10 minutes by foot, huge variety of restaurants and bars in walking distance but ...

when I arrived they offered me a room on the 12th floor which they sold to me "more spacious than the others", but the room just had a tiny window and about 2 feet away from the window there was a large brick wall so I could not even see the sky! So I asked them to give me another room what they did. Unfortunately the "do not disturb"-sign was missing and one of the towels had a huge large spot (~10'' diameter; probably another guest has shined his shoes with it). Housekeeping fixed that pretty quickly and the staff was very friendly the whole time, but overall this is not the kind of service I am expecting when I stay at a Courtyard ...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Sorry for some of the issues you had with your stay and that we did not live up to your expectations, it is not the norm for us. I am pleased to read that you like our location and the staff was always friendly.

We value your business and regret not meeting you expectations!