“Bravo!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Phoenix
“Bravo!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was there to run the Portland marathon and was highly impressed with this Courtyard. The hotel was sold-out and I never felt like there was a stampede of people at any time.

Getting to the hotel was easy as I took MAX light rail, you can either take the red line and walk west three blocks or take the red line and change at the Rose center to the green line which drops on you on the corner of the hotel. It is $2.50 one way, the rail is clean and safe.

The front lobby had a hip feel with some great music plyaing. My checkin was very fast, helpful with information and professional. I was on the 12th floor with a great view. The room was the standard Courtyard room, spacious, clean nicely decorated and comfortable. There was a minifrig in the room which came in handy. The water pressure was great and there was an extra set of towels in the bathroom.

I did not use the gym as I was there for the marathon. I did use the diner attached to the hotel, the breakfast was excellent. The rest of the menu for lunch and dinner looked impressive. The hotel location is ideal. It is minutes walk from the Pearl district, the waterfront, old town and the rest of downtown area. You are only a 15 minute light rail ride to the Lloyd district. The rest of Portland is extemely accesible by mass transit. I would only recommend a car for a tight schedule, if you are mass transit phobic or you need to get way outside of the city.

The Valet and bell men were always on the spot with assitance and helpful information.

Portland is a great city to spend a quick trip. My one negative of the city is the city farther's need to do something to control the excessive amount of homeless on almost every corner, which is no relfection on the Courtyard.

I would recommend this hotel as rates are great typically

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you on the 5 Star rating... we appreciate it! Congratulations on running the marathon. That is a big accomplishment. I was pleased to read your review and find that you had a great stay with us and how much you enjoy Portland. We hope to see you again soon!

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
vancouver
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel had proven to be a very good choice, considering the number of hotels in Portland.
Very good location, easy to walk to many attractions. Unfortunately, we were short of time and only stayed 1 night. The room on the 7th floor was compact, but very practical.It has everything one needs in a hotel room.The bed was very comfortable.Ample room to hang your clothes.Huge bathroom .Very quiet - considering the lack of ability to open a window.The restaurant - The Original attached to the hotel - is most accomodating with good food.We'll stay there again when we explore Porland at a more leisurly pace.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am please that you will be back to enjoy Portland again for a leisurely stay.

Everett, Washington
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel was centrally located in downtown portland. I thought the price was ok for the area. Although checkin was a wait. They have three stands and there was not rhyme or reason on the line. We ended up waiting because someone got infront of us, then there was a few front desk clerks standing around talking to one another. The room was not to quiet. However i found someone elses clothing tags on the floor of the room (missed by vaccuum?) so that made me wonder about the rest of the cleanliness of the room. The bed was ok but everytime you moved the bed bounced. The fan was always on in the bathroom so the only way to quiet that was keep the door closed. The parking fee was terrible though very expensive. and would have parked in another lot, but since this was the first time in Portland we did not know if it was safe so we paid the $30.00 that they charged us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. After reading your review, I shared this with the staff as a training tool to improve on our guest experience. I can assure you, what you experienced is not the norm for us. We hope the next time you are in town, you give us another try.

Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Checks into to room 1208, with 1 very small window looking down an alley. Requested another room at front of hotel. Still a small window. Both rooms had no closets (not sure if that is situation in all rooms) Had about 1 foot of space to hang clothes.
Hotel is 3 years old and was nicely decorated and clean. Everything still looked new. Will stay in Marriott on the river next time as there are shops, etc and its a nicer walk.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms ending in 08
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. I am glad that you though our hotel was nicely decorated and clean. We do have a few rooms with small windows and closets, but many with large windows and larger closets. I hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in Portland.

Washington
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Extremely clean with a helpful staff. The room was nice, uninspired bathroom for a new hotel. A super large blurry photograph of a dresser with knicknacks was just plain ugly. The desk area was overly dark and held two abstract pieces of art and a white vase that didn't help the decor. ThE beds were very comfy. The nearby neighborhood was a little scruffy, but a few blocks away is Powell's bookstore and a large Whole Foods supermarket. Starbuck's is across the street.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank artist81
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you found the room to be clean and that the staff was very helpful. I know we all have different taste in art. We have over 800 pieces of original art by local artists in our hotel. We appreciate your thoughts. Hope to see you back again soon.

Colorado
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I'll start with my only negative - their computer showed a higher rate than my confirmation promised, and I had to prove mine both on paper and by showing my confirmation email on my iPad. So glad I had this with me! After that, the desk clerk made the adjustment and no further problem.

The room was one of the best I've ever stayed in with regard to amenities, cleanliness and arrangement - plenty of room to put away all my stuff, good arrangement of seating, lighting, desk, etc. The bathroom was good size and well arranged and the shower was large. (No tub, which would bother some people but not me).

Front desk staff were friendly and helpful with questions on transportation, etc.

The restaurant next door was accessible from the hotel lobby and had a fun menu. And they had no problem with me buying a glass of wine to take up to my room.

Location was great for walking to most downtown attractions and the trolley was close by for going farther.

The rates were very good compared to other downtown properties I looked into. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for the nice review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Come back soon!

Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed September 27, 2012

courtyard by Marriot is always a good coice - you basically know what you are up to when booking.
The Courtyard Marriot in Portland is a little bit special:The hotel is very trendy - welcoming lounge music in the lobby, ultra modern bar enclosed and the room are very modern, fresh and have a great furnishing.
The hotel is located directly in the city center so you can walk easily everywhere you might think of - well - the parking lots are not included in the room rate and you have to add that definately (20 Dollars average per night) but that accounts to most of the hotels in Portland.
There is not a lot to moan about that hotel - a very nice hotel with a good value for great rooms, great location and very nice statt members.
More 'Courtyards' should be like that!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple