“Excellent hotel, not so good restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #23 of 138 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Busby. Scotland
“Excellent hotel, not so good restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

Well done.. My wife and I were on holiday from Scotland to Portland and stayed a week at the Marriott Courtyard City Centre.
From the minute we arrived at the front door we were greeted with civil, friendly and courteous staff. Mind you if you're getting dropped off you have to move quickly or the valet guys move you along.
Easy check-in with friendly receptionists and all the hotel facilities explained well.
Our room was on the 14th floor, spotlessly clean, comfortable bed and well furnished and maintained.
The problem we did have with a noisy fridge was sorted within 20 minutes with a friendly engineer standing at our door with a new fridge in her hands.

Breakfast and other meals that we had in the hotel restaurant, The Original, were ok - just ok. The menu was a bit staid, the quality similar and somehow we never actually got the items we ordered at breakfast with on one occassion our hot dish being returned twice as not being served hot. First time I've been in an hotel that doesn't server croissants at breakfast time. Better off heading out of the hotel, going round the block and you'll find plenty of alternative eating places.
The Original also has a bar area with a good selection of local beers and wine at not unreasonable prices. Staff however can be a bit off-hand with one waitress one evening deciding to have her break by having a drink whilst stretched across a bench seat and her feet on the table. Wonder what her manager would have said if it had been a member of the public !

Other than the restaurant/bar which let the hotel standard down considerably, the hotel service itself was excellent with an easy walk a few blocks in to the city centre shopping area and Pioneer Square and Max stations around the corner.
Would certainly return and can recommend the hotel - not so The Original restaurant

Room Tip: Go for a high level room as the public transportation system can be noisy
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Naperville, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

We have been staying at this hotel since Wednesday....it is now Saturday and I haven't had my room cleaned once even after reminding the front desk twice to do so. Upon arrival the room was clean; however, there was no lotion in the bathroom and only one regular coffee by the coffeemaker. I had to call for lotion, coffee and clean towels. I have been out of kleenex for 2 days as well. Nothing gets replenished. Another negative is there are no room safes.

The positives are location, the valet we have been dealing with (Mike) has provided oustanding service and the restaurant associated with the hotel serves good breakfasts.

The night supervisor did say he would comp breakfast for our inconvenience....the least that this hotel can do since it's 10pm and we're sitting in the lobby waiting for a change of linens and towels and the room to be restocked. In my estimation, they should do more for 2 days of inconvenience. Maybe 2 days of breakfasts comp'd instead of 1 day.

We are members of Marriott and have never received such terrible service and next time I travel with my husband to Portland, you can bet I will NOT give this hotel a second chance.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mari9
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

This hotel is pretty much in the center of Portland, Oregon. Transportation on the MAX light rail is within the "Free Zone". No charge to ride the MAX anywhere in the downtown area and there are stops to and from the AMTRAK terminnal just across the street. The airport transit on MAX is outside the free zone and costs $1.00 for seniors which are called "Honored Citizens" in Portland. That city is very civilized! A MAX train change is required to the airport but is acheived simply by walking across the tracks at one of several stops on the way. The hotel has a very friendly and helpful staff and a good dining room with excellent meals. A corner room with more space is well worth the extra charge.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and cost a little more but worth it for a longer stay or just more room to m...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you for the 5 Star rating. We love it. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our hotel, the location, the restuarant and that the staff was friendly and helpful. We hope to see you again on your next travels to Portland.

Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

I travel to Portland frequently and this was my first opportunity to stay at the Courtyard City Center. The experience was outstanding and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city.

Check-in: Great, nice lobby, clean and inviting.

Room: Simply outstanding. Very much in the boutique style of hotels and a quality that exceeds the "run of the mill" Courtyard. Very clean, well designed and spacious.

Room Service: Great selection and prompt service. The food was very good.

Overall just plain excellent!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We loved your 5 Star review and that you think our hotel is excellent. THANK YOU! We hope to see you again soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

Frequent traveler. Visiting Portland with family. I really liked this hotel. Very nice rooms. Quiet. Located near all the sights in the city. Service was very good. We booked two rooms and had to check back a couple of times to get the second room, but they were very polite. Only negative, as others have mentioned, was $29 + tips for valet. I found a lot around the corner for $8 total for two days. Otherwise we were quite pleased with the stay. Inexpensive for a city hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the service and found the hotel to be excellent. See you next time your are in Portland.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here. Staff was super friendly, room was very nice and valet parking super efficient - although a bit pricey at $29 per day (web site says $26). Check in was very efficient - almost too much so... I felt pressured to get everything out of the car and ready to go- must have been a slow day for the staff. Staff was super helpful and friendly and not stodgy at all.

Very close to the MAX line and walking distance to many things downtown. The one complaint about location being that most everything is closed at 9 or 10 pm in this part of town on the week days and forget about trying to find a market or a place to grab a drink any later than 10 pm unless you want to go to a really loud bar.

For me the price was a bit high for my personal preference because I love the location but don't really need all of the "amenities" you get for the extra money - but it was clean and I felt good about my security there so that is worth some piece of mind.

I will stay here again and recommend it to others.

Los Altos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

I was in Portland recently on a business trip with colleagues and stayed at the Courtyard Portland City Center for a week.

Pros:

* Great location - within walking distance to multiple TriMet stops, shops (Powells is only a few blocks away, and if you like chocolate or hot chocolate, try Moonstruck Cafe on Alder a few blocks away), food trucks, the jogging/biking path along the river, Starbucks across the street
* Decent gym on the 3rd floor (open 24x7), really like the towels, packaged headsets and fresh water provided - nice touches!
* Great value (I managed to get a pretty good corporate rate)
* In-room refrigerator
* Quiet rooms - while I could hear doors closing in the hallway outside, I did not hear my neighbors
* LEED-certified - good to see environmental stewardship in action
* Remodeled, sleek lobby, and very comfortable beds and rooms

Cons:

* Rather unreliable Internet access in the room - wireless kept disconnecting, wired stopped after one day (found a bad cable from the phone to my laptop). Wasted a couple of hours debugging the problems, finally got the service to work after a couple of hours
* The Original "dinant" - mediocre service at dinner one night was not helped by the heavy, sit-in-your-stomach nature of many of the menu items. I will say though that the ceasar salad was quite good.
* Towels are thin, so if you like plush towels you may be in for a surprise
* Being downtown, there are some sketchy areas a few blocks away (Burnside), but I never felt unsafe.

Room Tip: The corner rooms ending in 05 are non-adjoining and have two windows instead of the usual one window...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, the fitness center, the location and our green efforts. I am sorry to hear about the internet service, normally we don't have issue, but we take every comment seriously to correct. Also the slow service in the restaurant is not a norm for us. I apologize for your experience.The Original is local favorite as well for the hotel guest. Our food is a modern americana flair which does have the comfort... I am full when you are done. We hope that the next time you in Portland you will come stay with us again.

Best,