“Excellent hotel, great location”

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #22 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I travel to Portland frequently and this was my first opportunity to stay at the Courtyard City Center. The experience was outstanding and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city.

Check-in: Great, nice lobby, clean and inviting.

Room: Simply outstanding. Very much in the boutique style of hotels and a quality that exceeds the "run of the mill" Courtyard. Very clean, well designed and spacious.

Room Service: Great selection and prompt service. The food was very good.

Overall just plain excellent!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

We loved your 5 Star review and that you think our hotel is excellent. THANK YOU! We hope to see you again soon.

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed October 25, 2011

Frequent traveler. Visiting Portland with family. I really liked this hotel. Very nice rooms. Quiet. Located near all the sights in the city. Service was very good. We booked two rooms and had to check back a couple of times to get the second room, but they were very polite. Only negative, as others have mentioned, was $29 + tips for valet. I found a lot around the corner for $8 total for two days. Otherwise we were quite pleased with the stay. Inexpensive for a city hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the service and found the hotel to be excellent. See you next time your are in Portland.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here. Staff was super friendly, room was very nice and valet parking super efficient - although a bit pricey at $29 per day (web site says $26). Check in was very efficient - almost too much so... I felt pressured to get everything out of the car and ready to go- must have been a slow day for the staff. Staff was super helpful and friendly and not stodgy at all.

Very close to the MAX line and walking distance to many things downtown. The one complaint about location being that most everything is closed at 9 or 10 pm in this part of town on the week days and forget about trying to find a market or a place to grab a drink any later than 10 pm unless you want to go to a really loud bar.

For me the price was a bit high for my personal preference because I love the location but don't really need all of the "amenities" you get for the extra money - but it was clean and I felt good about my security there so that is worth some piece of mind.

I will stay here again and recommend it to others.

Reviewed October 15, 2011

I was in Portland recently on a business trip with colleagues and stayed at the Courtyard Portland City Center for a week.

Pros:

* Great location - within walking distance to multiple TriMet stops, shops (Powells is only a few blocks away, and if you like chocolate or hot chocolate, try Moonstruck Cafe on Alder a few blocks away), food trucks, the jogging/biking path along the river, Starbucks across the street
* Decent gym on the 3rd floor (open 24x7), really like the towels, packaged headsets and fresh water provided - nice touches!
* Great value (I managed to get a pretty good corporate rate)
* In-room refrigerator
* Quiet rooms - while I could hear doors closing in the hallway outside, I did not hear my neighbors
* LEED-certified - good to see environmental stewardship in action
* Remodeled, sleek lobby, and very comfortable beds and rooms

Cons:

* Rather unreliable Internet access in the room - wireless kept disconnecting, wired stopped after one day (found a bad cable from the phone to my laptop). Wasted a couple of hours debugging the problems, finally got the service to work after a couple of hours
* The Original "dinant" - mediocre service at dinner one night was not helped by the heavy, sit-in-your-stomach nature of many of the menu items. I will say though that the ceasar salad was quite good.
* Towels are thin, so if you like plush towels you may be in for a surprise
* Being downtown, there are some sketchy areas a few blocks away (Burnside), but I never felt unsafe.

Room Tip: The corner rooms ending in 05 are non-adjoining and have two windows instead of the usual one window...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, the fitness center, the location and our green efforts. I am sorry to hear about the internet service, normally we don't have issue, but we take every comment seriously to correct. Also the slow service in the restaurant is not a norm for us. I apologize for your experience.The Original is local favorite as well for the hotel guest. Our food is a modern americana flair which does have the comfort... I am full when you are done. We hope that the next time you in Portland you will come stay with us again.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at many high-end, exclusive five-star hotels but this hotel has raised the bar. This is the friendliest, cleanest, most efficient (everything works!) hotel! The front desk staff, doormen, maid, audio-visual technician (Skylar), waiters and waitresses were all friendly, smiling and helpful. Our room and bathroom were clean, clean, clean. I left a note for the maid and she signed with a smiley-face. My husband needed help connecting his computer to the TV and Skylar immediately appeared and connected it. Everything is new and modern. We stayed four nights for a photography workshop and everything ran smoothly in the conference rooms. The location is great; food carts one block away, good restaurants and shopping within easy walking distance. Great hotel!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

WOW....thank you for the 5 Star review. I love that you had such a wonderful stay with. We are pleased that you find our hotel to be the friendliest and clean.... clean... clean...THANK YOU!

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

we started and ended our vacation in Portland and stayed one night each way. the light rail stop from the airport was 1/2 block from the front door of the hotel as was the light rail stop to the Amtrak station. Many good restaurants were within an easy walk. The rooms were large and quiet. One room had a tub/shower the other had a glass-enclosed shower. The clock radio in one room showed the incorrect time and we couldn't figure out how to adjust it. Neither room had much of a view. The front desk people were very courteous.We would stay here again.

Room Tip: upper floors to avoid street noise
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

We booked the hotel through "Portland Perks" so valet parking and breakfast was included. A great deal and the hotel and staff were excellent and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the 5 Star review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be excellent. Hope to see you again!