“A great place to stay in downtown Portland"”

Courtyard Portland City Center
Ranked #22 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Natick,Massachusetts
“A great place to stay in downtown Portland"”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

My family stayed here for 3 nights for a graduation weekend. This is a great place to stay in downtown Portland. If you don't plan on leaving the Portland area on your visit, you will not need a car. This is right on the Max and is also walkable to many sights. It is in a great location. You need to valet park the car anyway, and it is $29 a day.(The valets are very good and have the car up in just a few minutes)

The rooms are very big and clean and the shower is good. The hotel is very "green" and they have recycle bins in the room. The hotel is really quiet as I did not hear anything inside or out. The lobby is somewhat smallish but they have free coffee in the morning which is really welcome by people flying in from the east coast!

The restaurant, the Original, is right off the lobby and is very good. We had a great brunch there.

If you want just to get a drink and have a great view of Portland, the Portland City Grill is in a building right across the street. The views from the 30th floor is great.

The only downside I can think of is that there is no pool, but that's it. This is a great hotel and I would highly recommend it. I would stay there again on my next rip to Portland!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Thank you for your review. We love the fact you think our hotel is a great place to stay and that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. We hope that the next time you come to Portland we will see you staying with us again.

Courtyard by Marriott Portland City Center- A Boutique Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I recently traveled to Portland for business. It was not my first time in Portland so I knew in which part of the city to stay. The Courtyard was in a perfect location for MAX. There is a stop across the street, but if you need to rush to the airport, there is a Red line stop only about 4 short blocks away. No need for a car.

The room was modern, clean, well appointed, but not exceptionally large. However, compared to other hotel rooms in urban centers (including Portland), it was a good size. The only drawback, which is not an issue for me, the room only had a shower and no bathtub. For those who require a bathtub, that may be an issue.

When I arrived, the staff was very friendly and professional. I believe the person with whom I dealt was a gentleman named Jen (Alameda). His professionalism and great attitude made checking-in a positive experience.

The only reason it is not a five-star in my book is because a five-star hotel requires a level of service and amenities that are found only in the top few hotels in the world with a room rate to match.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is nice to know you really enjoyed our hotel and that the staff provide great service for you especially Jen. He is great. We have256 rooms in our hotel which half of them do have bathtubs and the half showers, so the next time you are in Portland and you have the chance to say with us, we would be delighted to put you in a room with a bathtub. Hope to see you soon!

San Luis Obispo
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights on our 3rd year in a row in Portland for fun. This would be my top location and hotel so far and I would definitely stay here again. It is close to either walking or transportation to most anywhere in Portland. All the staff was friendly and went out of their way to be so-the front desk for extra directions, etc, door men with an umbrella, and housekeeping immediately bringing up a ironing board when we found ours not functional.
We immediately headed to the Saturday market (on Sunday) after checking in and it couldn't be much closer (to the waterfront also). The MAX let us out right at Oak about 3 or so blocks away when arriving from airport. Other rails and buses were just on the corner or across the street. Hotel is located on the north end of downtown without being so busy (we stayed right in heart of downtown before and was immediately noisy on exiting door onto the street). Walking distance to Powells and the Pearl also.
Beds very comfortable like all Marriotts, room larger than some downtown locations and everything clean. Any negatives (not like they mattered) was the slow elevator which we just laughed about (and seriously, I have been in slower!). Think it is a little bit older building but not that you could tell beyond that-never heard our neighbors, tiny bit of hall noise from closing doors but really you can always expect that in a hotel. And I have always been accused of being overly and I mean overly concerned where noise is a factor! ha!
Can't wait to return to Portland-what a foodie town. Would highly recommend "Little Bird", Veritable Quandry, Pine State for biscuits, and Mother's for breakfast. Try some beer, eat lots of food, go to the Chinese Garden for a quiet tea and stroll, and of course the Japanese garden too.

Room Tip: Book ahead
  • Stayed May 2011
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you found our hotel to be tops in location and quality. We strive hard to provide the best experience. I am glad that you were able to experience that. Hope to see you on your 4th trip to Portland!
Best, Eric Paul | GENERAL MANAGER
Tennessee
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I've stayed several times at this great little hotel in downtown Portland. It's within walking distance to Pioneer Square, Powell's books, and other great restaurants and shopping, and if you want to economize, you can take the MAX light-rail to the airport and other parts of Portland. It's quiet, and the staff are exceedingly friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
It pleases me to know that you found our hotel to be " clean, safe, convenient and friendly"
Hope we see you again soon!

Washington
Reviewed June 7, 2011

This is the 2nd time we've stayed at this Courtyard. Both times, very warm welcome by desk staff, this time no different. We requested and were given a room away from the elevator, in a quiet corner. It was very clean. Used the fitness center each day; it's very well equipped with cardio machines each with their own cardio theater (so you can watch what you want to watch), headphones, weights, medicine balls, mats, water, apples, towels, all the good stuff.

This Courtyard is in a perfect downtown location in which to park your car and just walk everywhere. We went to the Portland State Saturday Farmer's Market, waterfront, Pearl District, basically all over Portland. Best part is, if you like craft beers or wines, jazz clubs, you can go all over town WALKING and imbibe not worrying about driving or getting a cab. There are tons of great bars, clubs, eateries (would suggest visiting YELP.com for ideas).

I like that they have recycling bins in the rooms, and low/high flush toilets. The room is comfortable, nicely furnished with an I-Home, chair, nice TV... the bed was a bit hard (not like the higher end Marriott's comfy beds) but the linens are great. The worst thing are the towels (thin, but they'll leave plenty for your use).

We had a couple issues: Friday night were enjoying happy hour in The Originant (restaurant attached) and I opened the ketchup bottle... just to have it explode all over me. It was fermented (yuk)... however, the staff was immediately over to assist, offer dry cleaning (which wasn't needed, just simple cotton clothing), no charge for the food and beers, overall very solicitous.
The other was on Sunday of the 3 day weekend. We'd been out from early morning to about 2 p.m. walking all over; came back for a nap, hubby to the fitness center. Woke up around 3 p.m. just laying there when I heard the key in the lock. Thinking it was hubby I got kinda snuggly looking - only to hear (in a heavily accented Asian voice) "Housekeeping!" I hollered... "uh did you knock?? I'm undressed." After about a minute of back and forth, with her not leaving the doorway (not sure she understood what I was saying - just a minute, just a minute), I finally just stood up and said it louder, JUST A MINUTE! She says..."oh, you no clothes on but you no have service yesterday, housekeeping." She finally left, I got dressed and went to the fitness center and when we got back, she'd done a nice job cleaning up. At first I was mad, then it became pretty funny. Guess my advice to Marriott would be: please teach your non-English speaking housekeepers some basics like "Just a minute" or to knock. I was already awake when she came in and didn't hear her knock.

Overall though, I would totally stay here again, especially in July for the Portland International Brewfest. It's only a few blocks away and there are so many things to do and see close by, you can't beat the location. For the price, it is a good value, clean and comfortable. (Valet parking is expensive though).

Fun Bar: "On Deck" in the Pearl District - 800 sf outdoor deck, so will be super fun in the summer. OUTSTANDING chicken strips and chicken fried chicken sandwiches. Brunch on Sunday was at Chez Joly in the Pearl - we were the only ones there so worried but the food was fabulous. Super FANTASTIC Mexican (drinks, food and hot sauce) at Santeria along Broadway between Bailey's Taproom (awesome) and Mary's Strip Club. In fact, it shares space with Mary's so you can see the strippers when you go to the restroom. It's a dive, but absolutely worth putting up with for the food. It was packed too, so expect a short wait.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dawggirl
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoy our hotel overall and that you found the staff to be warm and friendly and that you liked our greening efforts. I made note of your suggestions about housekeeping. We hope to see you again soon.

seattle
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stay in many many Marriott properties every year! My husband is platinum so we have seen one too many hotels. This one is special though! Great location, nice updated rooms, clean and comfy beds. Plus, the staff were oh so friendly!

• Stayed May 2011
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Thank for being a Platinum member and thank you for your review. It is good to know that out of all the Marriott's you stay at, that you found our hotel to be special and the staff to be oh so friendly. We hope to see you again soon.

Denver, CO
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I travel for work several times a year and this hotel was truly the best experience I ever had! Even though there is no hot tub or swimming pool, everyone and everything else made up for it.
The staff was so nice and accommodating, I thought it was a conspiracy because I hadn't been acknowledged that way at other places.
The accomodations were perfect, lovely furnishings and modern decor.
The restaurant was worthy of being enjoyed at every meal. You'd had never realized it was part of the hotel and not it's own fun, gourmet eatery. Happy hour is super fun there as well.
Not like any other Marriott Courtyard I've ever been to and made for the business traveler that wants to experience things dialed up a notch.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
CourtyardPDXGM, General Manager at Courtyard Portland City Center, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful review. It puts a smile on my face to know it was " The Best Experience Ever". We strive hard daily to improve upon our guest experience.

Hope to see you soon!