“Not Just A Children's Museum But Child is Spoken!”

Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
Portland Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
More Info
$94.00*
and up
Portland Combo: Hop-On Hop-Off Sightseeing Trolley and Columbia River Gorge Tour
Ranked #15 of 452 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) is a nationally-renowned science center providing science learning to a range of audiences. Our programming is guided by OMSI’s long-term vision to promote a healthy, innovative, and sustainable society where everyone is prepared to participate in civic life. OMSI’s science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) programming helps visitors and program participants master 21st century skills such as critical thinking, problem solving and collaboration. We achieve this vision through exhibits, classes, camps, traveling educators, and adult programs around the state, making OMSI a trusted educational resource to all Oregonians.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a very hands on and diverse museum. We took advantage of the OMNI-MAX theater. The exhibits in the OMSI are well thought out and very hands on. Crowds were a bit thick in the late afternoon.
It was a bit difficult to find as the recommended Mapquest map showed a Main Street Sign which was very small and there are not many OMSI signs to direct out of town visitors to this great venue. I would recommend going in the morning, if possible. A few of the exhibits were getting tired by the late afternoon.
I think a visit to the submarine would be fun. I understand that overnight bookings for small groups to sleepover can be featured in this unique setting.
Staff at the desk are very helpful to give return directions to out of the area visitors.
One does need to pay to park here, so note your place number when parking. Adequate handicapped parking, although still a long walk to interior. Elevator and escalator provide good floor to floor transport in the interior.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

OMSI has some great hands on items for children, but not being a science enthusiast, I personally don't find much reason to go. They have started doing some more adult friendly activities with things such as OMSI After-dark, and Science Pubs in the area. I haven't attended any but have heard good things and want to go.

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Kids get older OMSI gets better! Our two kids love OMSI. With new streetcar stop we are doing car free weekends. Can be crowded on weekends. Submarine is very cool. New train museum next door. Looking forward to seeing that next time.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

About a decade ago, OMSI had an awesome interactive area for preschoolers that was themed on the famous children's author and illustrator, Richard Scarry. It was very well thought-out and really fun for young children of preschool age and a little older. However, the past few times I have visited, with my 4-year-old, I didn't have the same experience. It seemed many of the interactive structures were weak (in terms of not much fun) or not as well thought-out for the age group. Parts were missing or didn't work, etc. I also noticed it has become consistently extra crowded on weekday mornings but could have just been that there were some special groups there those days. Perhaps our timing was just not great. Could be better later in the day?

My 14-year-old and I especially enjoy the upper level display areas offered but I may wait a few years before taking my daughter on a regular basis because she's just not that into it.

So..overall...good for older kids and adults...but not great for younger kids...in my opinion.

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

OMSI is not just for kids. Be sure to go to the adult only nights on the last Wednesday of month. Plenty of free samples to taste or drink, often alcohol samples. Good for a date night out . You get to share and interact and talk and have fun. Rather than boring movie.