“Top Favorite in Portland”

Powell's City of Books
$69.00*
Portland Brewery Bike Tour
Ranked #1 of 129 Shopping in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: The world's largest book store.
Portland, Oregon
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Top Favorite in Portland”
Reviewed December 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is one of our favorite local hangouts in Portland (my 17 year old daughter and myself). It's amazing wandering the rows and rows of books selecting those special ones to bring home with. We can spend hours here; Powell's Bookstore is amazing. We also like to hangout in the coffee shop, sipping coffee and people watching ~ you may even get a sighting of Fred Armisen walking about!

Visited December 2013

Santa Clarita, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must visit”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Great time at Powell's. You can spend an entire afternoon in this shop. Be prepared to get lost and pleasurably overwhelmed. This place is a must visit for anyone visiting the Portland area.

1 Thank Terie314
Eugene, Oregon
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 213 helpful votes
“Not Just Books, but also Maps!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

OK, I'm a cartographer and someone who loves maps. This store has the best selection of maps on the west coast and possibly the country.

There local section is killer, and they have some pretty offbeat, but interesting maps also.

I also enjoy the books, and the immense selection is great to browse.

Honolulu
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“I could stay here for days!”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My first visit to Powell's was too short, so I made sure that on this trip to Portland that I was able to spend several hours there. It ended up being one of the highlights of my trip, and I felt my love for reading rekindled in a way that I hadn't experienced in a long time. I was able to explore at my own leisure and got to see all the levels including the coffee shop. And the four hours was still not enough!

There is something for everyone here, and I found some children's stories from my past that brought back many delightful memories of the time I spent as a child in my home town library on Kauai. I ended up buying one of the books for only $4, and reading it brought back the joy of reading that I had lost while attending college.

Take lots of time to just hang out and explore all the areas. I love that they sell used books here, because you can find great bargains on books that are gently used. I intend to come here each time I visit Portland in the future! :)

London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A book lover's paradise”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I love books and I planned to spend an hour at Powell's thinking: "What's so special about a bookstore?"

Do not make this mistake! I could have spent an entire day here! I managed to squeak out in just under 3 hours but that was with difficulty. Even if you aren't going to buy anything it's amazing to just look around at the sheer volume of books they have.

Make sure to walk around the entire store! They have a coffee shop that looked pretty good and they have FREE WIFI. They have used and new books intermingled so make sure to check if it's new or used! And also they actually have decent books on their sale shelves, not the crappy books no one wants to buy.

Book lover or not, it's definitely a sight to see!

Visited December 2013