“A Must for Book Lovers”

and up
Private and Personal Tour of Portland
Ranked #1 of 128 Shopping in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: The world's largest book store.
Vancouver, Canada
209 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“A Must for Book Lovers”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Amazing experience for a book store. There are more books there than you could possibly explore in many many hours. There are a variety of rooms split into genres. We explored a couple of our favourite sections and bought a couple books. The books are quite reasonable and the used books are in excellent shape. They also have a nice coffee shop area, it is very popular though so you may have trouble finding a seat. If you are going with someone there and exploring separately make sure that you have a plan or your phones because it is easy to get lost in there. A must do for the Portland experience.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Any trip to Portland must include a visit to powell's. It is a huge place so make sure to plan on spending a few hours exploring. They have an amazing selection of both new and used books which was great! My husband and I loved it!

Ventura, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Book Lovers Rejoice!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Powell's Books, SO great. Encompasses several buildings in the same area. Funky, great selection, new and used. Coffee and snacks available for purchase because you just stay way longer than you think you will.

Visited August 2012
Rochester, NY
204 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 298 helpful votes
“I have died and gone to heaven”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! For someone who reads so much, my words escape me. My husband dropped me off here after lunch while he went on a hike with the kids. When I looked up, it was pitch dark and it was 10:30PM!!! The place is huge--takes up an entire city block, most subjects have an entire room devoted to them. Sure, they have the best-seller racks you see in all the other conventional book stores. But they also have end caps where the staff note their reviews and recommendations. But wait, there's more. There are little reviews and recommendations randomly spaced on the shelves themselves! There are used books filed proudly right alongside the new books.
The staff at Powell's LOVE books as much as I do. A local told me some of them work here for low wages so they can get the Powell's discount. One of the staff helped me find a book I was looking for based on my description that the book was about birds and the author's name sounded like "Coconut" by doing a reverse literature search on a documentary I had seen at the Eastman House in Rochester New York. We BOTH squealed with excitement when she was able to find out the name of the book ("Hope is a thing with feathers" by Christopher Cokinos) AND then I found it on the used shelf for $6!!! Next time I'm in Portland, will budget two days here. I'm not kidding. I don't think this is a place any serious reader can just "drop by".

Visited August 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Must see gem in Portland for hours of entertainment”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had to check it out just to see if it really was cool. And yes,
it was a very interesting place to visit on a rainy afternoon. Towers and floors of any and every book ever made that you could possibly want! It felt like the library on Harry Potter! It's great because many books will have little tidbits of info displayed underneath them. There is a coffee shop and a rare section with
secure doors. It was fun! You can spend hours there if you want.
What's awesome is you can take your old books and recycle them for other readers to enjoy. This place was very resourceful and green!