“Nearby parking- beware-”

$69.00*
Portland Brewery Bike Tour
Ranked #1 of 135 Shopping in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: The world's largest book store.
Springfield, Oregon
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Nearby parking- beware-”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I like Powells, (see my review) I went back again this month, and their (funky, small, somewhat scary) parking lot was full. So I went down a block to 11th and Davis (1111 Davis Parking structure, big 3 story honker $6.50 a day). BIG MISTAKE. Use another lot, one that's $4 an hour or drive around for street parking or whatever, but skip this place! I drive a 2005 Malibu, not a big car by any means, and I could not find a spot wide enough where we could open the doors to get out. IF you can find one, backing out is a real scare, not much room. Ramps to floors are like climbing the Alps and as wide as a skateboard. Floor 3 comes to dead end (woman told us to park against the orange wall, and there is none). So had to BACK DOWN and around to find a spot, and some are parked 1-2-3 deep so if someone parks in front of you, you're screwed on getting out. It took my brother 7 turns to get out of the spot, it took me 9 turns to get into it. It was so scary that I was sick for the rest of the day. OK for motorcycles, but if you can't turn on a time and fit in an envelope good luck. We did see a pick up in there, but how he managed I don't know, and he left the spot next to him for a Yugo or We car and nothing bigger. Seriously, its safer to pay more and not spend 30 minutes trying to park or a heart attack. Parking around Powell's is so awful, it really makes the experience lose luster.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fremont, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Amazing and should not to be missed.....”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This memorable bookstore is not to be missed if you love to read or just browse..Enjoy an experience that is hard to find in this ever changing world of e-books and computers. New books, used books, gifts, maps and much more....The store is contained in 2 building one of which is on a entire city block!!!! We were in Portland for 3 days and visited EVERYDAY.

Boston, Massachusetts
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“i could spend hours and hours here”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I didn't have enough time to fully explore but it's a reader's paradise. So many choices and options. Fun fun fun!

Delta Junction, Alaska
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“We can't wait to go back”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Powell's, how I love you! I first visited nearly 15 years ago and things have only gotten better. Helpful, numerous staff; books for every taste, easy to navigate, multiple book finding stations, cool signs, great extra things to purchase - oh, just everything one could want in a "natural" book store. I order from them online but the actual brick and mortar store is a million times better. The only improvement could be to give more direction to book location within a row because there are A LOT of books to look through on every row!

Visited June 2012
Vancouver, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Make sure you grab a map”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is an awesome place to spend a few hours if you are a book-lover. You WILL get lost inside so grab a map and free souvenir sticker. If you can't find your book at home, come here - they have it!

1 Thank WestCoastChick604