“Walls and Walls of Books! Great Collection and Selection!”

Powell's City of Books
$69.00*
Portland Brewery Bike Tour
Ranked #1 of 135 Shopping in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: The world's largest book store.
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Paid our pilgrimage to this great independent bookstore... have been here years ago and still amazed by the book collection here. Great selection of titles not typically found in a typical chain bookstore. Lovely kids corner area with tables for parents and children. Ended up buying a few books here (even though it may have been cheaper to purchase from Amazon - but wanted to do our part to support local independent bookstores!). Staff were friendly and helpful.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I have been all over this country and Powell's is one of a kind!

Reviewed August 11, 2011

If you like books, Powell's is nirvana. They are miles of aisles of every book imaginable. I bought two big bags full of titles I hadn't heard of --- my daughter remarked "Mom, we have bookstores at home too!" and I said -- "Not like this one." The staff is incredibly knowledgeable about what they have and helpful. They also have a nice corner of nonbook (bacon bandaids anyone?) and Portland-oriented items. And you can get a free digital photo of you and the folks you came with 'in front of' the store via green screen. There are actually several Powell's bookstores in Portland - something I didn't know before this trip - but the one and only entire-city-block main bookstore is the one to check out first!

Reviewed August 8, 2011

I had kind of boycotted them after the layoffs in February. But I went back, and the booksellers who are still there are still great, and have a lot of really good suggestions. I've also been to their other locations - Beaverton, Hawthorne and the Airport, and at each place I got stellar service.

Usually if you try to play the "If you like___, you'll love ___" it backfires horribly - but the staff's breadth and depth of book knowledge makes it a winners' game. I now have three new authors to get deeply involved with.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

This bookstore sells both used and new books and now takes up a complete city block and consists of several levels. Even my non-reading teenagers lost track of time browsing the shelves. Check out the rare books section--lots of interesting old items! In this age of vanishing bookstores both large and small, it's a delight to be able to visit this reader's paradise. Don't miss it!