“Stay-Cation!”

Chestnut Tree Inn Portland Mall 205
Ranked #87 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Yes, I live in the Portland area. I stayed at the Chestnut for a little R&R, time away from my daily routine. The desk employees were pleasant and accommodating. The hotel has had a make over inside and out. My room was quiet & relaxing. The Chestnut Tree Inn is convienently located right off the freeway. There is a shopping mall and lots of options as far as places to eat out. So, if your looking for a great place to stay for a reasonably priced motel...The Chestnut Tree Inn is the place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 6, 2012

My room was clean and quiet, comfortable new bed, carpet, bath linens, flat-screen TV. Very limited range of cable channels, wireless was OK. Maid service was excellent, but the generally unresponsive daytime manager was not very pleasant. Front desk employees on other shifts and the weekends were very nice and helpful. The continental breakfast is a farce, unless you consider white bread and plain white bagels healthy food. If you expect a continental breakfast to consist only of orange juice, an apple, coffee, and white breads you will be happy. With a more welcoming attitude, a better selection of cable channels, and a decent continental breakfast this place might actually be more than 1/4 or 1/3 occupied on most nights.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank T3515
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have stayed at the Chestnut a few times the past few years but this past weekend will be our last! About 3:00am in the room next to us the couple were fighting and breaking things, so we called the police since the lady was crying saying your hurting me. 2 hours later it all started again this time I called the front desk and they questioned me as if I didn't know what I was talking about. They finally called the police again, next the lady comes banging on our door questioning me about calling the police! I don't need this BS any place I stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Tom242
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I didn't check the reviews before I made the reservation.I was mainly was looking for the best price for the location.
The con:The TV kept giving off static, which was very annoying. And we didn't get our wake up call. We had also set the alarm on our cell phone, so we did wake up in time.We asked for 2 extra pillows, but there wasn't any. So that will be a request the next time we make a reservation in a motel.
We expected more then a jelly roll for our breakfast, but I guess that is a Continental.
The pro: Rooms were clean and comfortable bed.

Room Tip: The first floor is closest to the office.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Because this hotel was close to where my aunt's assisted living apt. is, we booked a night. I called to book two rooms, one for me and one for my elderly parents. I was told that I neededs to go on line to book. When we arrived, the desk day staff was about ready to go off shift (4 o'clock) and could I wait 5 minutes until the night man came to check in?? I politely waited until 4 and when his replacement hadn't shown up yet, the desk man began the process of checking me in. We were given rooms in the annex which is across the street. We had the ground floor which was very convenient for my parents, but they would have to walk across the street for the "continental breakfast" in the morning. The evening clerk arrived and finished the check in process. the rooms were very large and clean. I was a little nervous as the door did not have a deadbolt. the next morning, I discovered that there was no hair dryor. I later spoke to the day desk clerk (same one from the day before) and he said that he had one did I need it? By that time I had already gone on to plan "b". "breakfast" consisted of coffe and our choice of danish in celephane packages, can you say Ick? Price reflects the service and amenities.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Susie m
Reviewed July 23, 2012

After checking the reviews online, we booked a quick 4 day stay at this motel since it seemed OK and our expectations were minimal due to the reasonable price. We arrived early and asked whether it was possible to check in early - the manager/owner advised that the housekeeper was still cleaning rooms and to come back at 3pm. Although the parking lot was empty and it didn't seem fully booked, we happily went on our way. We returned at 2:50 and were rudely told that it was not yet 3:00 and that the room was not yet ready, we tried to avoid rolling our eyes and advised we would simply wait in the lobby for the next 10 minutes. At 3:00 we were checked into our "non-smoking room". We both have allergies but were assured this was not a problem. There is also a little sign that indicates that a surcharge of $150 for cleaning will be applied to anyone who smokes in a room for cleaning. We also got a password for the Wifi that we would need to get replaced every 24 hours of our stay.
The moment we opened the door, a waft of disgusting tobacco odour washed over us. It was almost difficult to breathe it smelled so strongly of smoke. We went back to the front desk and told them the room had clearly been smoked in often and recently (not sure how the housekeeper didn't notice earlier). They would not move us rooms, but rather sent the housekeeper up with a can of air freshner that she sprayed on the rug to no effect (apparently this was a $150 can of air freshner that "cleans").
The room itself was OK, nothing special but acceptable. Although the housekeeper had done a good job of cleaning most things, there were numerous cigarette burns in the bedspread, quilt and chair in our "non-smoking" room. The pillows were lumpy, ancient and encased in stained, yellowed pillowcases that actually had white and blood stains visible on them. The quilt and bedspread were also obviously dirty and in need of replacement. We stripped the bedding and used our sleeping bag and pillows instead as sleeping in strange bodily fluids is not our idea of a good time.
Long story short, we both got sick from the smoke and decided to leave early. Management was absolutely no help in moving us to another "non-smoking" room and would not issue a refund for the two remaining days (which he told us with a smug assh**** grin).
The evening clerk was as helpful as possible but could not override the manager/owner on the refund. He also somehow was able to figure out how to issue a Wifi password that worked for more than one day.

The real problem at this place is not the staff, but the management/owner who has a shoddy attitude and is openly rude to paying customers. Commendations to the night clerk and housekeepers who have to work for the guy and still do their job as best as possible.

Room Tip: Find another motel, no good rooms here in our experience!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dominique130
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed here on a brief trip through Portland in June of 2012. I checked in (with an online reservation for 1 night) on Wednesday, June 27. I then decided that I might stay around for as long as 2 more nights (checking out the city, housing, entertainment while on a vacation drive) and so I extended my stay for Thursday and Friday nights (checking out on Saturday, the 30th of June).
In the event, I ended up staying only 1 extra day and so I checked out on Friday, the 29th at 10:30am (checkout time is 11:00). During the checkout process I specifically asked for a credit (or just do not charge) for the day I wasn't using and was offered an "in store" credit for a future stay. However, I'm not likely to be back there for years and then it's likely only if I'm visiting relatives and so a hotel room will not be needed. The manager reluctantly agreed that he would ensure that my Visa card was credited for the one (unused) day's charge.
However, not seeing the credit by 7/12/12, I called the manager and was told that I would not be given a credit except for a future stay. I asked him if he was sure and why he had said my Visa would be credited when I checked out. He said he "checked with the owner" and they gave him the direction to not allow the Visa credit. Therefore, I informed him on the phone (and via subsequent email) that I would be disputing the charge through Visa.
The room was very nice, well kept and clean and the wireless internet was convenient but these folks are not to be trusted for handling customers ethically and honestly. Their website says, and I quote, "We hope that a stay with us will provide both comfort and convenience, and leave you wanting to return soon." I think if you know you're going to be there for X number of days and you actually do end up staying there for X days, all will likely be well. But I don't like to have to go to Visa to resolve disputes like this and it's very clear that they had no reason (well, except for greed, I guess) for charging me for the unused night... even if it's their policy to do so.
If you think you might stay longer, take it no more than 1 day at a time and avoid the possible hassle that I'm currently dealing with.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo