“It is outstanding hotel with beautiful view of Columbia River”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #55 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Easy to park at the hotel. It is huge hotel. The hotel manager was very friendly.
Good information on the bulletin for the day's events.
Near food store, gas, plaza, interstate and more.
Also near the airport.
near the softball field.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed October 25, 2010

I read some of the reviews on this property that characterized it as a dump. I disagree. This property is actually a tremendously good value for the money.

I paid $99 for my room and was given a room on the very end of the "A" wing. Two of the walls were full windows, with drapes that completely close and don't leak light. The balcony is about as close to the I-5 Bridge as you can get, but the slight rumble of the traffic is just "white noise" to me, which helps me sleep. The other window faced directly onto the Columbia River. The room was spacious and spotlessly clean. I enjoyed the updated carpet and marble floors. The doors were the older ones from the 70's, but they're solid and don't let any noise in.

Some parts of this property, chiefly the common areas, have not been updated. Who cares? When I was in the room, I'm not looking at the elevators or elevator lobbies. And yes, it's a bit of a hike to get from the room to the hotel restaurant; but, unless you have difficulty ambulating, what's the complaint? You're not walking outside in the cold rain, and walking is actually good for you. I dined at the new restaurant and really enjoyed my dinner. The menu is limited to standard American fare, but the food was hot and tasty and seasoned in a trendy manner.

There's plenty of free parking, the interet was free and very speedy, the heat was central and quiet -- not those window units that I hate -- and the bed was absolutely wonderful. Oh, and there were no bed bugs.

I ordered extra pillows and they showed up immediately. The front desk staff was helpful. They even offered to shuttle me to an area restaurant.

I've stayed at many Portland-area hotels and was inconvenienced in so many ways by expensive parking, poor internet service, valets with attitudes, and teensy rooms with thin walls and climate control that was difficult to adjust. Everything about the Red Lion at Jantzen Beach was perfect and an excellent value. I'll stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank GetWellKatelynn
Reviewed October 8, 2010

The hotel had many amenities to recommend it....complimentary van, concierge service, restaurants, business center, Internet, etc. The room was attractive, comfortable, and clean. Request a riverside room to secure the view. It is a bit more expensive than other rooms but worth every penny. We found the personnel helpful. The cocktail lounge was nice, with piano music. We had killer crab cakes and two other appetizers. Didn't need dinner. The breakfast buffet was expensive and not expecially good. I think the company which runs that restaurant is pulling out, so it would be a good idea to check before your trip to see if it has been replaced and/or what breakfast is offered.

1  Thank CelineDion88
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I had booked a room for 2 nights with river view. The booking was done online and was paid for upfront - including additional $10 a night for the view. When I reached there I was told that they no longer have any view rooms and gave me a non view room instead. This room had the view of the parking lots only, so I again requested them to search for a view room again. They then gave me room keys for a room that had the view. When I moved all my luggage to this new room, along with my wife and 4 year old boy, i was able to open the room but found someone else is already checked in there !!! Then they finally gave me another room with a partial view of the river and the tennis court.

But other than the initial glitch, the hotel was okay. The rooms were clean and cozy and the staff was friendly. The open swimming pool was also nice.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed here because a reunion we were attending was based here. After reading the negative reviews I was prepared to just enjoy the reunion and ignore the hotel, but we were very, very pleasantly surprised. The staff went out of their way to help us with ideas for dining (the hotel had asked the restaurant leasing space in their hotel to leave, and they were in two days, so with all of the negative restaurant reviews we decided not to eat there at all), provided shuttle service to and from nearby restaurants as we couldn't get everyone in the cars a few of us had, shuttles to and from the metro service just nearby, as well as the airport. We asked for extra pillows, and if we could borrow a corkscrew (can't travel with on in my carryon), both items were delivered in minutes and we were told to keep the corkscrew for the rest of our stay in case we needed it again. Rooms were attractive, spotlessly clean, and large. Used the gym twice, and laundry, both clean. We prefer to use bed and breakfasts and inns, but this was on par with a Hilton or Marriott which we use at airports, etc. when in transit. I have to say once again we were very impressed with the staff and very comfortable in the hotel.

Reviewed September 21, 2010

Stayed at this hotel because we were attending a function held there, this is not a hotel I would have picked. It is an older property and shows some wear but clearly many conventions are still held there, it was quite busy. The hotel is very large and located on the river. My wing was very close to the highway bridge with lots of road noise, others in our group were in different locations and did not complain about the noise. Convenient, even walking distance to few stores (Target, Sports Authority etc) but nearby mall has many empty stores. While most things were OK and no particular problems, given other choices, I would not stay here again. Room rate was $99. Note: There is another similar looking hotel next door to this one that is closed and circled by a chain link fence, it could give you a scare if when arriving you don't spot the open hotel first!

1  Thank goneagain2
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We were staying there on a Sunday night to see a concert in Portland. The room was made up when we arrived but when I went into the bathroom there was long black hair on counter top in front of the mirror and on the floor. I though it was not enough to ask to change rooms for one night and wiped the floor and counter with a towel. When we returned from the show and turned down the bed there was some sticky brown spots on the top sheets. It was late so we made the best of it by moving the sheet around. It was as if in making up our room after the prior guests had left all they did was make the bed and put new glasses in the bathroom. The hotel was not crowded and we had asked for a view of the river. The only way you could see it was by going out on the balcony. Also so our door was right across from the ice machine. It would cycle ice almost every hour and the noise would wake you up. We called it the Hourly Ice Drop. On Check Out I told the front desk about our experience and they said they had our contact info and someone would be getting in touch with us. It's been a month now. This was the first time I and complained about a room to the front desk. I assumed they were telling me the truth.

1  Thank MGB-Road-Trippn