“Great Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle
“Great Stay”
Reviewed April 28, 2007

Stayed a couple of nights at this property which I found on Expedia. The hotel is not right downtown however there is a public rail system which runs frequently that will take you into the city center. The tram is close to the hotel and easy to access if you don't have a car. Driving time into the city is only about 15 minutes.

The hotel was excellent. Nice lobby with friendly staff and great rooms which were large and had 2 queens in the one I stayed in. Great stay and would return in the future.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank rizatripan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Vancouver
Reviewed April 18, 2007

We arrived at 2pm just before the regular check in time at the start of the Easter Long Weekend. The front desk advised that their computers were down but that they could check me in manually. I waited only a few minutes but the staff was apologetic and helpful. I had booked my room online through the hotel's website for a 3 night stay - $69 for the first two nights and $59 for the third. The room was for two queen beds but I had requested a king bed if available. At check in, the staff advised that they had a king bed but in a room with no view so I opted for the 2 queens which offered the balcony and a view of the river.

We stayed in room 438 for the 3 nights. Unfortunately, the wing we stayed in was undergoing renovations on the first floor. Getting to our room was a trek but we were pleasantly surprised to find the hotel quite deserted and empty. We found the room spacious with a gorgeous view of the river and overlooking the tennis courts. The room offered an in-room microwave, refrigerator, safe, free wireless internet, and a 32" flat screen tv. The beds had a comfortable pillowtop mattress which we personally found too soft. Amenities included Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soaps which was a pleasant surprise. Also, Tully's Coffee was complimentary with the in-room coffee maker.

The hotel is located conveniently off the I-5 as one of the first exits entering Portland from the North. There were several fast food options located nearby along with Safeway, Target, and the Jantzen Beach SuperCenter. We took suggestions from the front desk and wandered downtown Portland and the Pearl District. The area was tourist friendly and walkable. We were also able to get directions and suggestions for our day trip over to Multnomah Falls with a quick stop at the Columbia Gorge Premium Outlet. Woodburn Company Store Outlet is also only a 45 minute drive away on the I-5.

On the first night, we found the housekeeping slightly sloppy. Our shampoo, conditioner, and coffee was not replaced but upon inquiry at the front desk, the items were quickly delivered to our room. Also, on the second night we found one of our garbage cans had not been emptied. Other than that, we found the staff very helpful and the room comfortable. There was an outdoor pool but found out that it would not be opened until the Memorial Day long weekend. The washroom had newer Kohler fixtures but we found that the pressure from the waterfall shower a bit lacking.

If you stay at this hotel, I would suggest asking for a room not facing the bridge as these rooms seemed quite noisy. Also, there are fitness facilities at this hotel but we did not get a chance to check them out during our stay. In addition, the area is called Jantzen Beach but there was no beach area -- just a road by the river.

Overall, we would definitely stay here again and felt that this hotel was a great value.

• Liked — Convenient location and spacious accommodations.
  • Disliked — Long trek from parking lot to room.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mojang
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 19, 2007

The hotel was nice enough to look at, but the rooms my son & I stayed in were very hot and facing the I-5 bridge. You couldn't have the patio door open at night because of the traffic noise, and when the staff sent the engineer to check the units, he was unable to figure out the problem.

• Liked — view of the river
  • Disliked — no air conditioning, and we were in the section that was being renovated.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Tish52
SF bay area, CA
Reviewed June 29, 2006

I just returned from a 3-day stay at the Red Lion on the River and have to say it was more than what I expected.

Pros :
- Rooms : are bigger than most I've stayed in. We mistakenly got a double room (but didn't bother to change). There were 2 queens and plenty of space for a chair, a working desk and TV. I felt that 4 other people could sleep in the room if they had sleeping bags! We had a great view of the river also. Ask for a room in the far right wing.
- Beds : wonderful!
- Bathroom : also spacious. They had Bath & Body Works amenities (lotion, shampoo & conditioner). They will also provide you with other supplies (razor, bandaid, etc) by just calling housekeeping.
- Hotel overall : no complaints. Free parking (which is nice..downtown Portland hotels charge). Easy access to the freeway (I-5). There is a mall, Safeway, Starbucks, Wells Fargo & a gas station closeby.
- Hotel Restaurant & Cafe : excellent! We had dinner at their restaurant the first night. It was actually recommended by the concierge at the Sheraton Portland airport hotel! The Jamaican Rub Ribs was ono (delicious)!! We also had breakfast at their cafe both mornings. Resonable price and pretty decent food.
- Housekeeping & Staff : very friendly and prompt. The front desk was very helpful in suggesting places to shop. The rest of the staff always greeted us with a smile and "hello".

Cons :
- Our room faced a construction site so we'd hear them hammering away in the morning but it was very faint since the rooms are pretty soundproof.
- On Friday night they had a club which played music very loud. You may want to get a room outside of the main building if you're a light sleeper.

I would definitely go back to this hotel.

Recommendations outside the hotel :
1) Jake's Famous Crawfish restaurant (downtown)
2) Woodburn Company Outlet stores (approx 45 min drive from hotel)
3) NW 23rd street (lots of restaurants/cafes and boutiques)
4) Mount St. Helens (approx 1 hr drive north into Washington state)

Hope this all helps!

Stayed June 2006
17 Thank SJhulawahine
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 23, 2006

This hotel has undergone a major renovation with all the beds being replaced with thick, comfy pillowtop mattresses. The entire room was renovated and was in very good condition. They were working on the top floor (4th floor) above me so I heard hammering at 7:10 a.m. but other than that no complaints - at least they were getting the place remodeled and it was well worth it. Good restaurant, nice bar, great parking and walking distance to the mall, Safeway, Hooters, a trendy grocery store that had superb desserts, and a great view of the river. I am very picky and although the first room they put me in hadn't been cleaned, they immediately upgraded me and put me in a nice, clean room.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Courtyard Portland North Harbour
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour
Residence Inn Portland North Harbour
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Best Western Inn At The Meadows

Been to Red Lion Hotel on the River? Share your experiences!