“Kiwanis Convention”

GreenLeadersGold level
Saint Helens, Oregon, United States
“Kiwanis Convention”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

This was probably the best convention sites that we have attended in the last 10 years. We had ample parking, free WiFi, excellent food and wonderfully equipped rooms....and lots of meeting space.
Our hotel room exceeded our expectations and amenities, with two sinks (one inside and one outside the bathroom), refrigerator and high definition TV and a view of the river.. The prices that we paid were very reasonable.
The hotel staff continually tried to excel themselves in making our stay a comfortable one. I forgot to take a charger for my cell phone and the hotel staff was kind enough to lend me one to use.
I am pleased that we will be having our convention there again next year. My wife and I love this place.

Room Tip: We were very happy with our view of the river and the pool.
Green Features: Had fully stocked liquid soap and shampoo containers on the tub and sink...no soap wasted
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Tacoma, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

The facility and rooms seem to be not well-maintained. Had to connect the phone myself. Stains on the bathroom ceiling. Room was not serviced while we were gone during the day. When I checked out, was not even asked how my stay was.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MikeInTacoma
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Mike
I have followed up with my staff concerning your comment as this is not the type of stay we want our guest to have, I hope you will give us another chance to show you that we can and will do better in the future, Please accept my apology.
Granby, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

The suites were well equipped and clean. The pool and hot tub were very nice. Very convenient location. Free parking and wifi. The hotel is very large. Fitness area was also excellent. Highly recommend this hotel for families.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river.
1 Thank chinadave2001
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed one night after a riverboat cruise, and the room was wonderful. We arrived early AM, so they held our luggage and we took the hotel van to the tram station. We waited about 20 minutes for the van, which seemed too long to me. Apparently, they were waiting for another passenger.

The hotel is huge, and it was quite a trek to our rooms. I think this facility is designed to house conventions and such. I was told they have a pool and tennis courts, but never saw them. They are on the river, and we took a nice walk along the river path.

The hotel is located pretty far out from most Portland attractions. While the room and bathroom were spacious, with great WiFi, I don't think I would stay there if I wanted to sight see in Portland. We used the tram to get around, but we spent a lot of time waiting around.

Although there were a lot of noisy people in the hallways, it was quiet in our rooms, which was all that mattered to us.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I booked the Red Lion because it has a nice outdoor pool overlooking the river. I have three kids under 10 and a pool is a must for Summer travel, but very few Portland hotels have outdoor pools. The staff was remarkably friendly and accommodating, as nice as I experienced in far more expensive hotels. The hotel is 7 miles from downtown Portland, but close to the freeway. It was very convenient to Portland destinations on the weekends, but a bit trick on the weekdays. The negatives are that the hotel and rooms had a bit of a musty smell and we stayed on the side of the hotel that is close to the freeway and far from the pool. The road noise was quite loud even with the door closed and caused me to have trouble sleeping the first nigh. I would definitely request a room on the other side of the hotel. Overall a very good value.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Lowell
Thank you for share your comments regarding your recent stay with us and I am happy your family was able to enjoy the pool and you found the hotel to have a good value, I have passed along your comments concerning the musty smell of your room so they can follow up.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We experienced a problem with noise throughout our stay. The first night, there was a lot of noise from the room adjoining ours. We could hear the other room's entire conversation that they were having and it was very intrusive for us and kept us from going to sleep. In the morning, we were awoken by the repeated slamming of the door from the housekeeping supply room. It started very early and we were unable to return to sleep because it kept slamming over and over again. We tried to turn the air on and even put a white noise player on but we still could not sleep. Because of these two items, we really had a poor night's sleep and were irritated about it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Mindy
Please accept my apology for the noise you experienced from our housekeeping staff, I have addressed this issue with our staff and I can assure you this will not be an issue in the future, This is not the type of stay we want our guest to have.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

we had our annual buick club meeting at this hotel.........we had 400 people sighned up...........the hotel did not tell us there was a 13% bed tax per nite or that we would have to pay for parking on hotel property.......

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Dora W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Courtyard Portland North Harbour
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Residence Inn Portland North Harbour
Best Western Inn At The Meadows

Been to Red Lion Hotel on the River? Share your experiences!