“Cannot Guarantee Room Location”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #54 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Bellevue, Washington
“Cannot Guarantee Room Location”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

After reading the reviews, I thought it would be worth paying the extra price for a premium view room. I specifically requested that the room please not face the freeway because I read it was noisy. (This hotel backs right up to the freeway bridge and the floor rumbles when the rigs go by.) The reservationist assured me that she would add that note.
The room we are in, room 345,is the closest one to the freeway bridge! The bridge is closer to us than the hotel lobby and the small balcony faces directly into it. All the rooms were booked when we checked in. While they'll offer to move you if a room opens up, you must be on site at the time. Please note: They can only guarantee a room type, not the location!
The end rooms facing the bridge should be in a separate category than the premium view rooms.

Room Tip: You can request a room in a specific location. But there's no point. They assign them by when t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Seattle, Wa
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed at this property for two nights with my wife and two kids (7 and 10). Got a great rate through the redlion web site and used the 15% off member rate... We booked a fireplace suite instead of the family suite, as the only difference in two as I understand is the view. Fireplace suite faces the river, while the family suite faces the outsides of the hotel.
Check in was adequate but not over the top. Was recognized as a rewards member and offered a bottle of water...I had to ask for three more for the rest of my family who were standing away from the front desk to not clog the area up....Was told where my room was, but I had to ask if there was a better place to park or enter..Glad I did as it would have been a hike...Thinking this younger front desk staff needs some lessons on customer service.
Room was fantastic.Two rooms, both with views of the river and pool and two outdoor patios with chairs... Very large with tons of room. One room with two queens and the other basically like a living room (couch, chair, coffee table)...This room also had a nice Murphy bed, maybe close to a queen in size but a bit smaller? HVAC is old, but it worked and AC and heat worked just fine. Bathroom was large with a gigantic walk in shower (no tub in this room).....entry area had large closet another sink/wet bar area and mini fridge, with coffee for AM. All in all pretty impressed with the room, except for the sagging queen bed by the window...time for a new mattress in that room.
The pool was a hit with my kids and the temperature was very reasonable. No complaints on this area.
The location of the hotel is kind of on its own....there are other places near by, but not necessarily the best area to be strolling around. We ate dinner at Stanfords B and G around the corner and it was great.
As I said I loved the view, and the room. The part that really wasn't great was the exterior noise. Not a huge surprise as other TA reviews said the same thing...We had a room at the far east end of the property away from the I-5 bridge, but we still heard trucks and cars all night long. Heard a train horn throughout the evening and oh for the love of god..the PDX flight path is right over the hotel. Now i Have stayed at airport hotels, and while this one has a free airport shuttle, its not super close to PDX...15-20 minutes away I would guess....Perhaps because the River acts like an amplifier the sounds of the planes is pretty bad..If they are taking off to the west you will hear them....Nothing the hotel can do about that, except invest in new windows during the next major renovation....we personally enjoyed the F-18's doing their training flights at 8:45 AM each morning....
All in all, this property is as advertised. I give it four stars because it has all those things you would expect from a red lion and besides the one queen bed and the windows it was great....not an average 3 star place, but doesn't get the perfecto rating from me. Would consider staying here again in the summer for the pool....Better than some Red Lions, but not better than all.

Green Features: This hotel does its best to do the green thing...good effort here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Donald D
puyallup
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have visited the hotel many times. The service, friendliness, and cleanliness are always the same - perfection. The river location is special any time of the year. When someone asks me where I am going for overnight or a few days, it is always this hotel. When I arrive, I do not even want to leave for a retaaurant - everything is right there. Wonderful experience!

Room Tip: get a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had a family reunion with family from Canada to San Diego converging on Portland for a week of hugs and fun. It was the consensus that we all wanted to be 'on the water' with affordable housing which Red Lion Janzen Beach provided in spades. Everyone commented on how reasonable the restaurant prices were and the food tasty. It was also very convenient to choosing which freeway would best get us to our spread-out events. Note: always take the WA Hwy 14 Camas Freeway if you need to cross to the I-205 from the I-5.

Erin Stein, the hotel staff member responsible for setting up our block of rooms, did a FABULOUS job keeping us all straight, answering questions and finding a way to give us exceptional service as if we were her only clients. Thank YOU, Erin!

We will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My Sister took me up to Portland to go shopping and have fun. We stayed at the Red Lion, because she had been there many times beforehand. We had room #488, which had the perfect view of the river and bridge, even though there was a couple rather large trees in the way.
The room was nice and big, two queens with nice bedding and very comfy beds! The bathroom had a nice BIG walk in shower.
I was a little nervous to sit on the balcony, but I had a nice chair inside to look out to the river. The hotel had very nice people working there, from the maids to the front desk. Everyone was very helpful and polite.
We had a nice drink and appetizers at the bar. I have to say I am not a huge calamari fan, but the calamari at the bar was AMAZING!!! Not only did it have the calamari, but it also had pieces of onion and something else too was in there. So you had a little variety, which to me made it taste better. We enjoyed a nice beer and afterwards went for a very long walk along the water to work off all those calories. hahaha...
In the morning, it was a little overcast, but still could see the river and bridge. I walked down to the little café to grab some breakfast for us. The only breakfast food item they had were danishes, so I grabbed an apple and berry with some coffees for us and headed back upstairs. They were pretty good. Glad we had a micro in our room so I could heat them up a little bit.
Very nice hotel, glad I got to experience that. I will be back again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Boxerdawgz
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
It is rewarding when a guest enjoys their stay -- and doubly so when they share their experience with others. On behalf of our entire team at Red Lion Hotel on the River, thank you for taking time from your day to share your insight on our property with others.

We look forward to being of service to you when your travels bring you back to our area.

Kindest regards,
Rod Russell
Director of Operations
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I enjoyed it here. It was clean and comfortable. Not too much around it but everything you need was a short drive. The service in the attached restaurant was awful but the food was ok. My biggest complaint was that when I was given directions to the room, I wasn't told I could move my car and enter through another door very near my room. Instead I hauled my luggage a very long way. My plane was out of Portland at 4:00 PM on checkout day but I was refused a late check out. That was a first for me, most hotels are very accomodating in that regard. All in all, the hotel was all right but I felt the service was a little lacking.

• Stayed March 2013
Polson, Montana
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel was nice, considering we had just made last minute reservations on our mini vacation. Portland Hotels were booked, but stayed at this hotel as it was on the river and within driving distance.

Hotel was easy enough to find if you have a Navigation tool within your vehicle. Friendly staff in the lobby, however witnessed one customer nearby who wasn't pleased. Apparently she was on a waiting list and the front staff was unable to serve her. She was very displeased and made it quite known for all of us in lobby could hear her rant! Not quite the friendly introduction when arriving to a new place. Despite the unhappy customer, the staff made sure our stay was more than pleasant.

We ate dinner at the hotel with my niece and her boyfriend and enjoyed every moment. The only problem with this, we ate near the time the dance club was beginning, and the music was extremely loud in the restaurant. But we made this also work to our advantage and followed our dinner drinks to the club. We had a great time, because the music was just to our taste. where we live we don't have these sort of clubs that cater to our age group, so this was a nice surprise. We loved it and got our dance on!!! (think fun 70's and 80's and 90's music).

Our room was exceptional and roomy. Nice balcony and two sinks (His and hers haha). Big Showers to fit two people if needed ;-)

We utilized the pool and hot tub the following morning which were clean and big, and had a great time meeting new people . Would be a great venture for children as well.

We will visit here again soon if not to stay, at least to dance :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us and I am happy that you enjoyed the Jantzen Beach night club, We look forward to seeing you again soon

Rod Russell
Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Courtyard Portland North Harbour
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North Harbour
Residence Inn Portland North Harbour
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Best Western Inn At The Meadows

Been to Red Lion Hotel on the River? Share your experiences!