Red Lion Hotel on the River
$186
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Shilo Inns Portland Airport(Portland)(Great Value!)
$150
$199
$193
Hotwire.com
1,254 results
All reviewsjantzen beachtennis courtshayden islandflight pathbit datedhotel restauranteasy accessroom was largetwo queen bedsfront desk stafffree parkingportland areaconferencefreewaybalconiesshuttlemt
Reviewed June 12, 2013

It has been awhile since we have stayed here, and I was surprised by how run down it is. It is on the river in a great location, surrounded by wonderful mature trees, and it is a shame that the interior was deteriorated so much. I was torn between giving it a 2 or a 3. It wasn't horrible, so I gave it a 3. The bed was very comfortable and clean. However, not much else was very clean. I don't usually complain about the condition of the carpet or tiles, but the carpet was very worn and fraying, not only in our room, but also in the hallways. The tiles were cracked in a lot of places. It is close to the airport, and the room we stayed in had a sliding glass door, which leaked air, and was very noisy in the morning when the airplanes started taking off. I think the thing that grossed me out the most, was when I made a pot of coffee in the room, and picked up the 2 mugs to pour coffee, and both of the mugs had coffee drips running down both the outside, and remnants of coffee inside the cup. Obviously nobody had washed the mugs, but had just put them upside down on the paper coaster like they were clean. Yuck! We ate at the hotel, and I had NY Steak which was good, but the potatoes were burned, and my husband had 3 cheese ravioli which was not cooked enough and very tough and chewy and cold. Pretty gross. Needless to say, we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mimi1122
Rod R, Manager at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

On behalf of our entire team at Red Lion Hotel on the River please accept our apology for the issues you experienced with the coff cups and coffee maker. We do have some issues with chipping tile that was installed last summer and we are currently addressing the issue, We have also recently just replaced most of the sliding glass doors in our rooms and the remaining rooms should be complete by the end of this summer and we continue to improve on capital projects for the property. Thank you for connecting with us personally so we could see to rectifying this situation.

While we understand hesitancy to return, we hope you will read the myriad other reviews we have received and have confidence that your future stay will be as exceptional and comfortable as yours should have been initially.

Happy Travels,
Rod Russell, Director of Operations

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Red Lion at Jantzen Beach while participating in a weekend basketball tournament. From our organization alone we had close to 40 high school players, with a small number of adults to supervise. Having stayed at many Red Lions 20+ years ago I was skeptical - way back when the properties were mostly dated, and service was not top of mind.

How things have changed.

The Red Lion Jantzen Beach is a nice property. Public areas were comfortable and welcoming. There was ample seating in the lobby (important when you have a bunch of tired teens who are waiting for rides or friends) with TVs that were not too loud. There was a small gift shop where you could pick up a snack or beverage, and a coffee bar that served a decent cup.

The restaurant was good. I ate dinner there one night and, while the menu was small, the food was good. Plus they had a nice local beer selection.

The sleeping rooms were also comfortable. We had 4 players to a room, and none of them complained about it being cramped. Rooms were clean and had the necessities, plus a small refrigerator and a microwave.

I should also note that on this particular weekend the hotel hosted a number of basketball teams, at least one tour group, and a corporate event. But it never felt crowded and for all of that it was really quiet.

But what really impressed me (with one exception below) was the service. When our players started checking in each was given their room key and breakfast coupons - no need to go through a lengthy check in process. As one might expect, with any large group there is bound to be some mistakes and our's was no different - we had a couple players without rooms and one set of parents without rooms. The hotel's response? Let's get you set up. No "sorry we're sold out" or "well, we didn't have their info so what did you expect." The front desk staff was understanding and helpful and just fixed the problem.

The only service breakdown was our second morning with respect to breakfast. One morning one there was a simple buffet and the players' coupons covered it. On morning two there was no buffet, so the players assumed they could just order what they wanted off the menu and the coupon would cover it. Nope. While not noted anywhere on the coupon it carried a $10 limit and a free beverage. When the first players in the morning asked about breakfast they were told about the coupon's limits, which the players interpreted as "you won't get much to eat." These are teenage boy athletes who assumed the were going to go hungry. Nobody in the restaurant took the time to explain that a full breakfast is $10 - the restaurant manager failed to even tell me that until I asked her to get the hotel manager so we could work something out. And when I asked her to accelerate service since there was little time (by this point) to eat her response was "well, did they sleep too long or something because we start serving at 7 am." (I politely told her that teenage boys who played 2-3 basketball games a day needed a little extra sleep). In the end nobody went hungry, but this experience was in sharp contrast to what I saw from the front desk staff or the maintenance staff.

And speaking of the maintenance staff, my wife and I were in the elevator with a member of that group named Leif. We were talking about whether we had a second phone charger. He jumped in, said the hotel had them...and when we got to our room a couple minutes later he called us to see if we wanted him to bring one up. Oh, and he also took a minute to tell us about the hotel's private beach.

In sum I was prepared for this to be a standard tournament type hotel and hotel experience. The property was much better, and the service was top notch.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Spamstan
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I got a great rate here on Hotel Tonight.Stayed for 3 nights and was satisfied with hotel.Only negative was the size of the place.A map and a car are required to get to your room from the lobby.The weather was very good while I was here and the outdoor pool was very welcome in the evening after a hard day sightseeing.

Room Tip: If you intend to use the pool , ask for a room in that wing.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed at the Red Lion Jantzen Beach for 2 nights in June 2013.

The good:
The staff is great. I was greeted warmly checking in/out of the hotel. And the process was fast and painless.

The location is good. It's right off I-5 which made it easy to find. There's a large mall very close by, although it's under construction so there's not a lot of stores available just yet. There's a Target though, which carries pretty much everything you need while travelling.
The hotel is right by the river so an evening stroll was just lovely for my family.

Free parking, free wifi. No breakfast included though.

The bad:
The hallways and my room had this old building smell to it. It bothers some people but not others. Me, I am sensitive to smells and it was a major turn off for me. My wife thinks I'm too picky though.

The housekeeping needs some improvement. In my room (457) the lighting fixer above the sink has stains on it. It looks like somebody shook a bottle of coke really hard and opened it right underneath the fixer.
The ice bucket leaks.
I stepped on this small piece of plastic in the bathroom. It looked like a plastic piece of jewelry that fell off a doll. I have 2 boys and they don't play with dolls, so I'm pretty sure it was left behind from the guest before us.

All in all, it was an average stay. There's nothing terrible about this hotel, nor is there anything great that makes me want to come back. The room was supposedly on sale for $100/night, down from its usual $140/night. I thought $100 was ok. But I wouldn't pay $140 to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2013

right on the river. huge complex. huge lobby, tons of rooms. very nice, beds, big rooms too.
but, its over a flight path, so if you are really noise sensitive, you might want to think twice about it.
not a lot of eating places within walking distance, but a few. taxi can take ya anywhere.

great staff. spotless. nice new carpets. free Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: overlooking the water......ground floor....not too close to the elevator or ice machine .
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business