“Great Location, Clean Grounds, and VERY Friendly Staff!!”

Red Lion Hotel on the River
Ranked #55 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This hotel is well located within a minute or two drive of a shopping center and small carousel mall with stuff like Target, Home Depot, Toys R Us, Old Navy, Office Depot, etc... There's several places to eat within a 2-3 minute walking distance. Safeway is a 5 minute walk. Gas station is right across the street. Hotel is probably a 10-15 minute drive, max, to Downtown Portland. They have a HUGE, FREE parking lot!!! If you have an RV, big truck, bus, heck even a helicopter, don't worry...there's room somewhere for you.

My husband and I reserved a room for 4 days in March for a conference. We got the triple AAA rate of $106 a night, tax included. We arrived at about 7 PM. You enter into a nice, elegant fancy lobby with cushy seating areas. There is a little sitting area/bar off to one corner with 2 TVs and a piano. Everything was very clean and schnazzy. I felt like I had walked into one of those fancy high dollar hotels in downtown Portland!!

Our reservations were screwed up because we were suppose to be comped one night via my husbands company, but we were still charged for four nights. The very friendly front desk supervisor (I think his name was Stephen) promptly took care of this and reassured us we would not be double charged. We weren't.

I needed a luggage trolley and the other front desk girl went and found me one. I was very appreciative!!

We received a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the parking lot, very close to where our conference was being held. This was very nice as it only took us 1 stair climb and probably 2-3 minutes tops to walk from our room to the conference area. The room itself was HUGE & VERY Clean!! Very nice desk area, flat screen TV, lounging chair, and two pillow top queen beds!! There was a cute balcony with chairs off the rooms sliding glass door, although it was a bit too cold to go sit out there. Lots of bright lights and mirrors. The beds were clean and comfortable. I especially liked the reading lights over the beds. The wireless internet was FAST and FREE!!

I do have to agree, though, with other users about the noise on this end of the hotel. When you get one of the rooms overlooking the parking lot, you also get the freeway and road noise which gets VERY loud in the early mornings and goes on all day long into the night. I wore earplugs so I could sleep at night. Also, the windows/sliding glass door out to the balcony do not keep out the cold/wind very well. During a stormy day you can feel the draft coming in from the spaces in the windows. Fortunately there's 2 sets of curtains and drapes to keep it from infiltrating the room. AND the blackout drapes work GREAT!!!

The bathroom was bigger than most house bathrooms! It was all updated with nice fixtures, a VERY cool shower head, tiled bath and floor, EXTRA BIG fluffy towels, blow dryer, iron, "green" toiletries, great counter top space on the sink vanity, and extra storage under the sink. Hot water was great! Never ran out. Tub/shower drained great!! The only problems I had were that there was no ventilation in the bathroom. There is a vent over the shower, but it isn't one of those vents you can turn on that keeps the bathroom from fogging up. Alas, the bathroom fogs up every time you shower. Also, the tile floor in the hallway and bathroom gets REALLY cold on ones feet. I recommend bringing some booties or slippers to keep the toesies warm while walking around in the bathroom & hallway.

In the little hallway is another extra sink. This worked out great for my husband and I! He got his own sink to make his own messes in. ☺ One of the light bulbs was burnt out; the repairman came promptly and replaced it.

The closet is very roomy and long, with plenty of extra hangers, blankets, pillows, ironing board & a free safe. The fridge, coffee pot, and microwave are located at the far end of the closet. I liked the fact that there was an extra light in the closet so I could see what I was doing. The closet door was stuck and would not slide; I let the front desk know and it was fixed within 10 minutes!!! Later on the front desk guy actually CALLED me to check and make sure everything was taken care of. Nice customer service!!

On our last night at the hotel, we found a lone bug on top of our bed. (See photo) I am not sure if it was a bedbug or just a little beetle that crawled in through one of the window cracks but I did let the front desk know. A guy and security came up and squished the bug and offered us a new room. I had checked every crack and crevice around the bed & floor to see if there were any other bugs but did not see any, so we didn't move to the new room.

Friday afternoon/evening at about 5:30 PM, we went down to the JBs bar and grill. We were there during happy hour and because we were going to order drinks off of the happy hour menu, the young hostess that seats people told us we could not sit along the windows that over look the river. She said only full paying patrons can sit down there, but happy hour patrons are only allowed to sit at the bar or at the little tables in the middle of the restaurant. We told her we would be staying AFTER happy hour as well and ordering full price dinners off of the menu and requested the window river seats (which there were plenty of) but that did not matter. She said, "If you are ordering ANYTHING off of the happy hour menu, then you have to sit in the happy hour spots. You get where I am going with this." I figured it was not worth arguing over and so we just followed her to the center tables. Fortunately our mature waitress was MUCH nicer and continued to give us happy hour prices even after happy hour was over.

Check out was a breeze. I checked out a bit late and they did not hassle me. Everyone I encountered at the front desk, day or night, was always very kind and friendly. Same with housekeeping. They were always very kind and eager to help, and brought me extra towels daily, and extra goodies for my coffee. I always made sure to give them a little tip as a token of thanks. The security staff was also very nice and professional. I enjoyed having a nice chat with the one gal that does the night time security for the exhibit halls. She made me feel safe enough to leave our companies supplies in the exhibit hall for the night. She was right. Nothing was ever touched or stolen.

The free shuttle service is awesome!! They will take you anywhere you want to go within their radius.

I was not offered any "Club Level" stuff or any other free breakfasts/meals, nor did I use the pool or spa, fitness center, or tennis courts so I cannot comment on these things.

I would definitely stay here again but I would look around online first to see if I could get the room any cheaper than $106 a night and I would ask to stay on the other side of the hotel where it is quieter. I want to try out that balcony when the weather is better. ☺

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side farthest away from the I-5 bridge and freeway. Otherwise, you are going t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Noodles913
There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel on the River

Reviewed March 8, 2012

A friend and I recently spent 3 days and nights, the staff was so friendly and helpful. We didn't rent a car, but the shuttle drivers were great about taking us places and picking us up. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to be made to feel like you really are important.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Staying here for three nights - the staff are very accommodating to all of our needs, with an easy accessible room, great room service (great coffee), and their restaurant, Jantzen Bar and Grill, has to have the best crabcakes around! I can't wait to explore the rest of the menu!

Room Tip: Ask for a Columbia River view
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Great hotel and staff, really liked everything so close by. Overall thought I got a steal compared to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
redlionjbpdx, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2012

You can "steal" from us any time that works for you! Thank you for being our guest and telling others about your stay!

See you on your next trip!

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed here for a night during a continued learning conference. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and comfortable without a ton of bells and whistles. Plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby and easy access to I-5 to go right to downtown Portland (where all the best shopping and food is).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
redlionjbpdx, Director of Sales at Red Lion Hotel on the River, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel. From free WIFI throughout the hotel, free parking, in-room microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator and our Stay Comfortable bathrooms and pillowtop bedding the Red Lion Hotel on the River is proud to serve those business travelers who need a place to Stay Comfortable and do it at a cost that is Comfortable for your wallet as well!

We are honored to have you as our guest and thank you for taking the time to let others know about our property.

Kindest regards,

Lori Main
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed February 27, 2012

Stayed with a friend who had obtained a package rate at $59.
We decided to upgrade to the "Club Level" for an additional 20 bucks, and it was definitely worth the price: the room had a view of the Columbia River, happy hour included two drinks per person and an appetizer, there was a continental breakfast available on the Club floor plus we were given vouchers for breakfast in the restaurant overlooking the water. With the vouchers, we were allowed to order anything in the breakfast menu--even the most expensive item.

The room was spacious. Bath had a huge walk-in shower and ample toiletries. There was an additional sink in the entry--across from the microwave and refrigerator--so it could be used as a wet bar, if needed.
The beds were comfortable and had a selection of pillows; there was a flat-screen tv with many channel selections and a desk large enough to place your laptop and lay out all your stuff. Too bad it was not warm enough to spend time on the balcony!

We would stay here and do the upgrade again; what a nice deal !

Room Tip: Ask for top floor or 'Club Level' and not view of the parking lot.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank gary053
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed my third stay at Red Lion Hotel, Jantzen Beach. There for a seminar
on the new Spring/Summer Scentsy product line I was given excellent service and effeciency
with a smile. Everyone was out to please us even though we were one of many people
there for the same seminar. The food in the restuarant was excellent and we so enjoyed
the free appetizer and well drink at Happy Hour. I give them a four out of five and would
have given a five if I had a river view. Who could ask for anything more.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, but a river view is really nice.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Donna S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Best Western Inn At The Meadows
Courtyard Portland North
Courtyard Portland North
#71 of 144 in Portland
Rodeway Inn & Suites Jantzen Beach
Radisson Hotel Portland Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland

Been to Red Lion Hotel on the River? Share your experiences!