“I Really Like This Place”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport
Ranked #29 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I live 3 hours from the Portland airport. Often if I'm flying somewhere, I need to spend the night coming, going, or both. After not having a good experience at another hotel, I tried Country Inn and Suites. I have stayed a total of 6 nights for recents trips. This week my friend and I flew into Portland at midnight with the temperature at 28 degrees. After a phone call, our shuttle driver was very prompt and cheerful. In my 6 stays with this hotel, I've always had very positive experiences. I definitely will continue to stay with them.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BJBMB
Write a ReviewReviews (1,213)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

If you're visiting Portland, have a car, and don't mind driving to get to downtown Portland, this place is a fantastic value.

My room is clean and very comfortable. I was apprehensive about the noise from aircraft due to the proximity of the airport, but in my 4 days here I was never disturbed by the noise. They are noticeable during the day, but not loud. And I never noticed them at night.

Breakfast is provided, with a great selection, including Belgian waffles. There's also a couple of other hot items (eggs, sausages, etc), a nice selection of bread and pastries, cereal, oatmeal, fruits and drinks. There's plenty of seating, and the staff keeps the counter well stocked, even when it is near the end of the period when they serve breakfast. Real plates and utensils are provided, not the disposable stuff.

There's a small but adequate gym on the ground floor. There are cardio machines as well as one multi-function weight machine, all pretty new and works great. There's an indoor pool as well but I did not try it. There's also a laundry room with 2 washers and 2 dryers.

A shuttle to the airport is provided. For those driving, it's a bit of a drive to get to Portland. But if you're going to Vancouver, WA, or to one of the many attractions along the Columbia River, it's actually very convenient. Bonneville Dam is definitely worth a visit, especially when the salmon are swimming up the ladders, and the waterfalls there are beautiful.

When I visit Portland next time, I'm definitely staying here again.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Alderwood Road might be a little quieter, but aircraft noise wasn't a big issue...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Brad B, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about the hotel for others. We really appreciate it and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The appliances are obnoxious as Hell (very very noisy). The staff that people would come into contact with are very rude ( kitchen and front desk) the other staff is quite nice. The hot tub isn't hot and has dead mosquitoes in it ( I have yet to see mosquitoes outside?...) Room keys hardly work. I can go on all day.....

• Stayed: January 2013
Brad B, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

I am terribly sorry to hear of your stay as this is not up to our standards and I will be using this as a training tool as no staff member should ever come across as rude. I do want to make sure this was the right property though as we have had to have our hot tub out of order and taped off as a ADA lift is being added so the hot tub shouldn't of been usable. But regardless I will be looking into this to the best of my ability to ensure our customer satisfaction.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Getting in at 2 am from a flight, I was exhausted and hoping for some sleep. Not only was it quieter than expected, but the bed was oh so comfortable. Thinking I would get only coffee and a muffin for breakfast, I was more than surprised and very pleased to find an array of delicious food, from make-your-own-waffles, to not overly dry scrambled eggs, sausage, gravy, freshly cut grapefruit, bagels, toast, juices.... It was so good I raved about it to my friends. One of the best I've had. Very polite desk and so much more than expected. Very pleasant experience. I plan to return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Brad B, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thank you very much! I really appreciate you taking the time to let new guests know of your great experience. Hope we see you again soon!

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have never taken the time to review a hotel, however after just returning from staying at this property I want to take the opportunity to write a review. My trip was one where everything started to unravel and I was scrambling to change airline reservations, meeting up with my family to say goodbye to my grandson leaving for the service, just barely on the recovery mode from having the flu, and experiencing anxiety and severe fatigue.
The staff was the most supportive staff I have encountered in a very long time. They bent over backwards to accomodate me and my family through all of our changes. They helped us with an extended check out, our beds were comfortable, the buffett breakfast was more than what we expected and very good. That is saying alot when you have teens to feed. The shuttle service was very dependable, friendly and efficient. Our room was very clean (a bit small but it was what we expected from the pictures) and I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling and wanting to stay in the area of the airport. Thank you Country Inn staff for your support during a challenging time!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Brad B, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you and we hope everything is well! Take care and hope we see you and your family again soon!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my husband from Dec 18th-21st. I didn't except too much cause it was a 2.5 stars hotel by the airport. But it turned out much better than I thought! The location was convenient, close enough to the airport. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Yes, the building is slightly old, but our room was clean and spacious. The free hot breakfast buffet was really good. There were lots of choices in terms of the food. They also offered free hot coffee and many kinds of free tea bags in the lobby. That was really nice because the weather was really cold.

Room Tip: Ask for king size bed if you prefer bigger bed.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I recently booked through expedia for this hotel. Wanted a park and fly - called exedia to see if they could book this. They put me on hold and came back short to say it was all confirmed. My reservation showed this. BUT get to the hotel for the classic bait and switch. The hotel claims they have told expedia they don't do this and then want to charge you additional for parking. There were three other families checking in at the time that had the same problem -- this is not coincidence!! Then tired and ready to end the day we make the next big mistake and paid for extended parking. When we returned from our trip we call for pickup. 25 minutes later we called again - 45 minutes later we called again and this time demanded to know when the bus would be there. They said the bus was just dispatched 2 minutes ago and didn't have a comment when asked why the bus wasn't dispatched 45 minutes ago!! After finally arriving - turns out there were 3 families needing transportation - all of which had been waiting 45 - 60 min. One of these was an older gal in a wheelchair - forced to wait outside in 32 degree chill all this time. DO NOT USE THIS PLACE - you will pay in ways you would not expect!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Susan M
Brad B, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

I do apologize the guest felt misled but we do not offer a park and fly option through any third party booking site only if you book directly with the hotel. I would strongly suggest travelors always call the hotel directly to get this type of information. We would not tell expedia anything different as they call all the time to get the explanations from us. Also due to a injury to the normal driver I was actually the one driving the shuttle the night in question and I do very much remember the elderly lady in the wheelchair as it was cold that night and I felt bad as they said they had been waiting for some time. I do know I had been through there about three times that hour as I didn't really stop as calls were coming in. If somehow I missed these guests I do very much apologize