“Not up to expectations” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Wisconsin
“Not up to expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

My daughter choose this property based on location near her home in Portland and our desire to have a full kitchen. Their website does not show a kitchen as an option and she found it by calling around. With tax the rate was a pricey $140/night. We stayed there for five days.
While the room was spacious, and the free breakfast exceptional, varying some each day, the facilities had a few problems. The full kitchen lacked basic needs, such as silverwear, utensils, cups, dish towels, detergent for the dish washer, a drain plug in the kitchen sink, etc. Plus the trash had not been emptied from the previous guest. We generally rent facilities with kitchens and it was evident that Country Inn's heart really wasn't in to supporting a kitchen. The staff was cooperative in correcting the problems, but it took three calls and a trip to the store by the maintenance supervisor to get everything we needed.
The pool was small but nice, the excercise room looked like it was well equipped. Free shuttle rides were offered to anywhere within five miles, not just to the airport, which was good if you wanted to visit or eat elsewhere. A golf course is next door.
We expected some noise from the adjacent airport, but did not expect that the hotel would be the target of low level flights several times a day and evening by dual fighter jets from the Air Base next door. The first couple times were exciting, after that, not so much.
And, as long as I am nit picking, the entry sign is modest in size and dwarfed by the sign for the restaurant, which has a different name. We missed the driveway the first time we drove there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Corvallis, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I didn't stay in room and management still decided to charge me half of the gold points used to book room. The front desk was not knowledgeable. The managers were greedy. Will never stay in Carlson Club Hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Dan G
Brad B, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We are truly sorry that this guest feels misled but we actually went beyond what we needed to in order to try and make them happy. This guest tried to cancel a room at 2:30am way after the 4pm cancellation policy stated at the time of booking. I tried to be curtious as our guests are very important to us and meet him in the middle but that wasn't far enough. Again I do apologize but that is the policy that is in place.
Salem, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

The staff for the Country Inn are superb. We were greeted wonderfully and ate cookies at a very efficient check-in process. The waitress in the on-site restaurant was johnny-on-the-spot and accommodated extra requests even though she was the only one working the room (late hours). Due to a mix-up in timing on our part, the shuttle driver made a separate trip to the airport for us, first having been armed by the office staff with a sack-breakfast provided in lieu of a restaurant breakfast that was offered with our room. The room itself was adequate and clean. The hotel could stand to update the country decor to 2012, but all in all, it's an older, clean and quiet property. For the money, it was a very good experience to get us off on our trip the next morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
tempe, az
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is a great location. About 2 miles from airport. They offer a great shuttle service (and will even take you to the nearby mall). Free breakfast is super nice. Nice beds and linens. Mini fridge and micro in room are great! Sink in outside of bathroom (it's in the main part of the room), which was fine. Not the largest room, but adequate. Pleasant staff. Indoor pool and great hot tub! The only issue was that my toilet backed up and overflowed after using it in the middle of the night. :-(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I spent one night at this hotel while waiting on a flight and I chose it because I got a great price on the room. The hotel is conveniently located to the Portland airport. The room was comfortable and clean. Bed was comfortable, the bathroom large and clean, and a microwave and fridge are provided. There is free Wifi but my signal was so weak it wasn't good for much. A shuttle service to and from the airport runs regularly if you need it. The most important thing about this hotel is the staff. Every employee that I encountered was polite and professional. Check-in was quick and courteous. When I went back later for a question, I was greeted by name. I ate two meals in the small restaurant. The food was good, not great, but again the service was fantastic. It'e becoming rare to see employees smile! But there are plenty of smiles at the Country Inn and it makes a big difference. I recommend this hotel for anyone in Portland. One other quick note: I see in other reviews that some people complain about aircraft noise. This is an airport hotel so obviously from time to time you will hear aircraft. I found it to be no big deal and I was not awakened even once by aircraft noise.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel faces a golf course so it may be quieter. Having said that, my room faced the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Taylorsville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed before an early-morning flight back to the Eastern time zone, for an unbelievably low rate offered through an e-mail to Club members (about $61). My room was perfect: comfy bed, free wifi, fridge/microwave, nice bathroom, friendly front desk staff. No complaints about my room at all -- perfectly up to Country Inn standards.

However, the sandwich/salad I ordered for pick-up from the on-site restaurant was not the best: pre-bagged, iceberg lettuce salad, on the same plate and right next to my hot sandwich, covered by plastic wrap ... yuck. But it was cheap, and the bar/pick-up server was so nice that I'm sure if I had complained, she would have replaced the whole meal, no questions asked. I was just too tired to complain.

I will definitely stay here again the next time I fly out of PDX. I just won't order a side salad next to a hot sandwich.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have found that Country Inn usually has the lowest price for a room and 14 days of parking. Among the best free breakfasts I have found. Prompt shuttle to and from PDX. It is the third time I have stayed here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple