“Great Place to Stay!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport
Ranked #29 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed here from 4/24 to 4/30 and was very impressed with the overall friendly attitude and cleanliness of the hotel. Check in and check out was handled quickly and with a smile. The Business Center was very handy for printing out my boarding pass. While I didn't try out the pool, I did visit the spa and both were clean and had lots of towels available. Several people were utilizing the exercise room.

Hadn't planned on eating at Brenner's so much, but the breakfast was so well done, that I decided to try other things. It was excellent quality for a hotel restaurant and had a nice range of prices. The bar was limited and closed at 10 PM, but that kept it on the quiet side which was nice.

If you are looking for a fancy resort experience, this isn't it. BUT if you are looking for a friendly, comfortable place to base your trip, you should definitely consider this hotel! It provides an excellent value in a customer service oriented atmosphere.

Room Tip: No ice machine on 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CARGRM
Brad B, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Thank you and look forward to seeing you in the future!

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portland Airport

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed here this past weekend. The hotel was nice and clean, the first night (Saturday) we were tired from driving from Seattle, so we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant, Brenner's. The food was excellent (I had the Cajun Salmon Fettuccini), our server/bartender was very attentive and nice. The drinks were also very good (Yazitini and Blueberry Lemonade).

The next night, we went to dinner at a place on Alberta which was very close to the hotel, and when we came back, decided to have a few drinks at the bar before a dip in the pool/hot tub. When we went to the bar a different bartender was there and when I asked for a drink that my husband had the night before, she abruptly said, "We don't have that here, we never have had that here" I said it was a drink special, it was on the table card and we had one the night before. Then she went on, and on, and on (for 5 minutes) about how they didn't have it. I tried to say something, but she wouldn't let me say anything. She was very loud and belittling. There were several other people in the restaurant at the time (including a family with very young children), her behavior was unacceptable.

Other than that, we enjoyed our stay. The other staff we encountered were very nice and courteous. We also did take advantage of the hotel breakfast, thank-you for being open at 6am on Monday morning, we had to get to Olympia by 8:30 so it was really nice to have a good breakfast option (other than a drive thru) at that time in the morning.

I'd like to see an 'adult swim' time (10PM-11PM maybe?), didn't get to use the pool Sunday night. Too many kids...even at 9:30PM.

Would have given 5 stars, but after 8 hours walking around downtown, and ending the day with a rude bartender wasn't appreciated. I would stay there again the next time I am in Portland, but I will make sure the rude bartender isn't working if we decide to go to the restaurant.

Room Tip: They have several elevators, some are right next to a room, so I would request one NOT next to an el...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LISA L
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Since our usual PDX hotels have become run down over the years, we needed to find a new hotel. This was our first stay at a Country Inn & Suites and we were very pleased with the experience. Check in was easy and fast. The staff was friendly. The room was spacious, very clean (I'm picky) and in excellent condition. There was plenty of parking in the hotel lot. Free WiFi was easy to use and reliable. We did not have time for the hot breakfast, but is looked and smelled good. Great value for the prepaid online rate. Will stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank PixieDustMom
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My friend booked this hotel for $45 and 5,000 points in March 2012. We got in late after a flight from the east coast and wanted to stay nearby. Check in was a breeze with amusing front desk staff. Rooms were spacious and beds and pillows very comfortable (and I'm picky about pillows in particular). Hot breakfast buffet included eggs, sausage, potatoes and better than average continental breakfast fare. Thought this hotel was a great deal--would definitely stay there again if I needed a hotel by the airport.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank stillhouse1
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Close to the airport with good shuttle, but not close to anything else except a 20 minute walk to Ikea and the Cascades Mall ( or hotel shuttle )

Room and public areas well presented. Staff helpful. Very good inclusive breakfast. Pool OK, but no closeby change rooms, or bathrobes in the bedroom. Strong in room Wi Fi.

Early in the evening we had huge plane noise and were worried about airport noise from the runway right behind our room, but it was a one off and no further noise.

I'd imagine that many guests are one nighters, in or out of the airport. Perfect for that, or longer if there is a reason to be in that area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank arlomcc
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We came to Oregon to see our new twin grandchildren, Drake and Mia. We chose Country Inn and Suites because of their reputation. The one at the Portland airport was exceptional and we will stay again when we come to spoil them again. Barb and Bryon Coffman

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Wheater
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We needed a place with easy access to visit our daughter in Southeast Portland. I have not stayed anywhere else near the airport, and will not have to look any further. It was wonderful to come "home" to a place that had warmth in more ways than one. The lobby and staff are welcoming. The restaurant/bar offers opportunities to eat/drink where you are staying. The rooms are good-sized with a desk, sofa-bed and TV. The bed was one of my favorites of all my travels. We also appreciated the Free WiFi although it wasn't always quick and powerful enough. I was amazed and delighted at how quiet it was (even with three buses of orchestra kids staying over night one night during our stay.) I always love a dip in the pool and the special feature of a whirlpool, which was actually appropriately hot. I also got to use the fitness room which was superb, though small. (Very nice features) The shuttle is a deal, goes 24 hours on the half hour upon request, even offering a bag breakfast for those leaving early. (Even though you won't want to miss their breakfast.) Breakfast was awesome, offering healthy options and more fun-fulfilling ones like french toast or waffles. These are not your starchy hard waffles; these melt in your mouth.

Granted the furniture and decor in rooms is dated, but comfortable. I'll take comfort every time. The shower has a water-pik shower head...very nice. One thing I was very impressed with was that the hallways and stairways and our room had the cleanest walls I've seen in a hotel recently.

The service was so appreciated. Any request was met with a desire to help and make us comfortable. Harvey, as mentioned in previous reviews, is a gem. Nancy in housekeeping took care of us well along with Kay and Christina. We ended up staying an unexpected two weeks and the service really made a difference. (Thanks to Kevin for adjusting our rate.) Even on our final night, having dinner and a drink for the first time in the restaurant, the bartender (can't remember her name, sorry) was a sweetheart and tried to make my margarita more to my liking. People at this place are always trying to make your experience a good one.

Lastly, I look most for good value, safety and reasonable comfort. I was very impressed for what we got for the money here. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for what's important to you. Read a variety of sources. Find out from locals if you can. T...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family