“Not Quite Up-to-Par”

Ranked #47 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Denver, Colorado USA
“Not Quite Up-to-Par”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Older hotel, from the layout - it was another hotel before becoming a Courtyard. Rooms are smallish and the noise from the road out front (Airport Way) was very loud. Exercise room is very small (2 treadmills, 1 elliptical, some free weights) and does not have a bike - bummer. Overall, this place looks a bit worn and could use a good update. On the plus side, the food at the Bistro was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd-numbered room, as these will face away from the road.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with the TA community. We are in the process of renovating our guestrooms at this time. Upon completion our guestrooms will have a new look and feel. Additionally, we are replacing windows to address the noise issue. In just a few months we will complete this project. I hope you will return to us and allow us the opportunity to be of service to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Rainier, Oregon
Reviewed June 7, 2014

If I have an early flights, 5-7 am, I prefer to stay near the airport so is don't have to get up at 2 am and make my travel that much worse. That said, yes being near an airport is noisy, but they have done something special with noise abatement here. I sleep well, which is a boon for my travels. They have a wonderful staff, nearby good inexpensive restaurants and good food inside the hotel. It's a great option at reasonable prices

Room Tip: Lower floors less noise
Green Features: Thoughtful Eco friendly processes in place. Who likes to drink out of plastic cups yuck!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great feedback. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to being of service to you again soon.
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 15, 2014

The hotel has a free 24 hour shuttle, so it is easy to get back and forth to the hotel. My room was at the back of the hotel, which on the days I stayed allowed me to see planes flying by as they were preparing to land. You get a few seconds of noise when planes fly that near to the hotel but it very brief and you get a little advance warning so you can view the planes, landing gear down, heading to the runway. I found this interesting and fun. If you have kids, it is a cheap diversion. I am very noise averse generally and yet these brief interruptions were not annoying.

There is a bar and they sell several tasty local Oregon beers. The food menu is standard Courtyard, so if you have stayed before you know what you will be getting.

There was free Internet that came online quickly and without a password. I experienced good network speeds during my visit.

If you like walking, you can walk to the Cascades MAX light rail station in about 30 minutes. Leave the hotel, walk left, and then turn left onto the first street. That winds around the back way to the light rail. Keep IKEA in sight and you will not get lost.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank DaveRB49
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Portland. We hope to see you again!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The Lobby is Marriott standard, the rooms are "budget inn" standard at best. Not at all anything that compares to any Marriott lodging. I would stay here you again for any reason. The rooms are small, dated, moldy and do not smell clean. I stay around a100 nights a year in Hotels and this one gets the lowest rating of them all.

• Stayed April 2014
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for staing with us at the Courtyard Portland Airport. I am sorry that we failed to deliver a satisfactory stay for you and that your guestroom was not as you expected. I will be sure t share your comments with our Housekeeping Manger to ensure we are properly cleaning and inspecting all guestrooms prior to being placed in "guest ready" status. As for the decor of our rooms you are correct. We are in the process of renovating our guestrooms at this time. We anticipate completion by early winter. If you find yourself visiting Portland in the future I hope you will think about returning to us. We would welcome the opportunity to be of service to you and show you the changes we have made.
Oregon
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Check in was a breeze. Our room was very nice. Service from Connor in the Bistro was outstanding. When telling him how much we loved our dinner he suggested the breakfast tacos in the morning. Upon learning of our 4:30am departure he put together a breakfast box for us to take on our flight. Great customer service.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for your feedback! It is great to hear that Connor was attentive to your needs. I will be sure to share your comments with him and the entire staff. We look forward to being of service to you again soon.
Plesant Prairie, WI
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The rating system goes from average to poor. In this case let's call poor "below average."

This is not a horrid property. Compared to most other Courtyard it is inexcusably below average. When other Courtyards underwent remodeling this one did as well but only part of the job was done. The rooms were pretty much given a superficial makeover. A lobby display shows that rooms will be upgraded sometime in the future but begs the question why it wasn't done a couple of years ago? There is no refrigerator or microwave in the room. No armoire. Basic furniture. The room could have been cleaner and fresher, too. It did not meet the "clean and everything works as it should" basic test.

The rating is as it is because in the Portland area -- as well as around the country -- this is one of the lesser Courtyard properties. It's as is the owners felt airport travelers were captive customers or something and they could get away with a lesser standard. It's OK for a night but Marriott properties can and should be better. Why not here? Why weren't these improvements made a couple of years ago?

The staff is always friendly, the location fine but it isn't always clean and everything doesn't always work as it should.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank 6530bx4
I am sorry that your stay with us was not more enjoyable. I would like to know more about the cleanliness issues you experienced during your stay. We want to provide you and all of our guests with a safe, clean, comfortable stay. Knowing where we failed would be very helpful to me. As always, you are welcome to contact me at the hotel. Unfortunately, our guestrooms were not renovated at the same time as our lobby level. However, we are in the process of renovation at this time. We are very excited that we will be one of the first properties to install the new CYnergy design package. I believe it is refreshing, soothing and very comfortable. We hope to complete this process by the 4th quarter of 2014. I invite you to come back and visit us later in the year. We would welcome the opportunity to be of service to you and provide you with a memorable stay.
Bandon, Oregon
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Without a doubt the worst Marriott Property I ever stayed at .. staff is rude and unfriendly .. the pool and hot tub was "broken" .. The maids were knocking on my door 1/2 hour before check out time even though I had the do not disturb sign on and then when I called the front desk for a later check out the lady was so rude and told me no way could I stay until 2pm, 1 was the max!! Gold members dont seem to mater to these people. It was dirty and smelly. I am a very loyal Marriott customer and always stay at one if its in the town I am going to but next time I go to the Portland Airport I think I will stay at the La Quinta .. much nicer staff and quite a bit less money. The franchise should be taken from these people by Marriott.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jim D
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
I am so sorry that your stay with us was so unpleasant. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. I admit I am shocked by what you have written. Your's is not the experience we strive to provide. Unfortunately our spa was out of order during your stay due to mechanical issues. As our pool is outdoor it is only open during the summer season. Clearly your stay with us was less than satisfactory and I sincerely apologize for the lack of attentiveness and friendliness you experienced. I will follow up with department managers regarding the associate contact you encountered. Again, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding the specifics of your stay. Please feel free to reach out to me should you like to discuss this further.