“worst Marriott property”

Ranked #48 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Bandon, Oregon
“worst Marriott property”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Without a doubt the worst Marriott Property I ever stayed at .. staff is rude and unfriendly .. the pool and hot tub was "broken" .. The maids were knocking on my door 1/2 hour before check out time even though I had the do not disturb sign on and then when I called the front desk for a later check out the lady was so rude and told me no way could I stay until 2pm, 1 was the max!! Gold members dont seem to mater to these people. It was dirty and smelly. I am a very loyal Marriott customer and always stay at one if its in the town I am going to but next time I go to the Portland Airport I think I will stay at the La Quinta .. much nicer staff and quite a bit less money. The franchise should be taken from these people by Marriott.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jim D
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
I am so sorry that your stay with us was so unpleasant. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. I admit I am shocked by what you have written. Your's is not the experience we strive to provide. Unfortunately our spa was out of order during your stay due to mechanical issues. As our pool is outdoor it is only open during the summer season. Clearly your stay with us was less than satisfactory and I sincerely apologize for the lack of attentiveness and friendliness you experienced. I will follow up with department managers regarding the associate contact you encountered. Again, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding the specifics of your stay. Please feel free to reach out to me should you like to discuss this further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Came to Portland to help my daughter move into a new home. Worked all day on Friday in the cold, cold wind!!! (damn, it was cold!!!)
Got to the hotel around 10:00 p.m. Check-in was a breeze. Got to our room in minutes. It was clean and neat. All was ok. The shower took a while to get the hot water going, but when it did, it was a welcome water pressure. We asked for a quiet part of the hotel and indeed got that.
Didn't do much except clean up and sleep, so for this purpose, the place was very good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to share your review. I appreciate your feedback and am glad we were able to provide you with a warm space to lay your head and a nice hot shower. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.
Seattle
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have stayed in other hotels near Portland Airport over the years but not this Courtyard. First let me say I am a big Marriott fan and stay in Courtyards as my choice when I can. This one however proved to be a budget type hotel disguised as a Courtyard and worse at Courtyard rates. Take for example, an in-room heater/ac, small chrome bar to hang clothes on, small sink outside the bathroom, noisy bathroom fan, rough towels, institutional coffee, powdered creamer, peeling wallpaper, small fridge and microwave. Sounds more like a budget hotel right? I am far from a hotel snob (!) but please, charge me a full Courtyard rate and offer me this?? I suggest you look at one of the other Marriott properties next door or one of the 3-4 competitors at the same location. You will pay less, get a free breakfast and have no worse of a room than this Courtyard.
To be fair the staff were really nice and the bed restful but this property does not live up to what I have come to enjoy as a great reliable brand and offered far less than other Courtyards I have stayed in recently including a really nice one in Clearwater Florida.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank ProMetalSales
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It is our goal to provide a quality stay for each guest and we clearly failed to deliver this to you. We are a conversion property and do not have the traditional "foot print" of a Courtyard by Marriott. With our current renovation we will be addressing many of the items you mention. I appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff and will make a point of sharing these with them. It is my hope that you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Greated at the front buy two charming young clerks. Very helpful in getting to our room. I had to do laundry, they made sure I knew where the laundry is, had quarters, soap. They did everything but the laundry. Bar tender is great as well. Perfect hotel for an airport stay. Breakfast made to order, very early in the am.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for the great review! I am delighted that our staff were friendly and helpful during your stay. Next time you are in town we would welcome the opportunity to provide you with an outstanding stay!
Farmington, Michigan, United States
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were small. Nice contemporary restaurant-bar area, very cozy. Food selection is somewhat limited but nice options. Food was good. Wine reasonably priced as was the room. Free shuttle to airport. Good for a quick stay.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. I appreciate hearing from our guests and value your input. We hope to see you again soon.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night before a flight home. This is an average Courtyard. Old and needs updating, but clean, friendly and convenient to PDX. Don't dismiss it on looks. Easy access to downtown and freeways north and south. Several pretty good resteraunts within easy driving.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your input. We are in the final phase of planning for our upcoming guestroom renovation. I am very excited to reach the finish line as we will have a whole new look and feel. Combine that with what you have come to expect from a Courtyard and it is a winning combination. We would welcome the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I recently spent one night at the Marriott Courtyard at the PDX Airport. First, the location of this hotel is great if you want to be close to the PDX Airport. Driving up the first impression the hotel gives off from the outside is a dated feeling. The exterior paint and look makes this hotel look like an 80's hotel. Luckily the lobby has been renovated and has the typical modern Courtyard feel and amenities. The check-in process went very smooth and everyone was very friendly. The hotel does of an in-house full service restaurant for dinner, but my group choose to eat at the nearby Cascade Center full of shops and restaurants.
Going up to my room again the hotel has an overall feeling of being dated. The hallways, carpet and doors are old, but at least clean. The room itself again has a bit of dated look and feel to it. But again it was very clean and comfortable. The bed especially is typical Courtyard comfortable. I found the free wifi to be fast and easy to use.
If I have a complaint about the room, it is the layout of the bathroom. I really don't like when the sink is outside o the bathroom and this sink was particularly small.
In the morning, the breakfast area was crowded but the food was tasty and having Starbucks coffee is always nice. The breakfast is not free, but I'd rather pay for a fresh healthy breakfast than a free nasty one!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
I am delighted that your experience with us was what you expected from a Courtyard. Our goal is to provide you with a comfortable, relaxing stay. I am delighted that our staff and amenities were to your liking. We are in the final phase of preparation for our guestroom renovation. We are excited to complete this renovation and provide our guest a fresh new look combined with what you have come to expect from Courtyard. We hope to see you again soon.