“Airport convenience”

Ranked #47 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Lihue, Hawaii
“Airport convenience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Great place to stay if you fly in late to PDX, or need to leave early in the morning. Shuttle driver was prompt, courteous and friendly. Front desk clerk was professional and friendly. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Lobby was updated, rooms were not. This place has horrible surrounding traffic. Close to a major freeway entrance that everyone is trying to get on. No free breakfast. Dining options are limited if you don't want fast food. Far from city center. Clean rooms, easy going staff.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thanks for your post. We have experienced delays in renovating our guestrooms, however we should begin the process very soon. The traffic you experienced was worse than normal and I am sorry if that created an inconvenience for you. The city is in the process of constructing a new on-ramp to help with the congestion. We are looking forward to its completion. Additionally, dining options can be limited if you do not have a car, however, we offer a fantastic selection of items in our Bistro, including Steak, Seafood and Pasta. Next time you are with us stop in and give us a try. It would be our pleasure to be of service to you in the future.
Manhattan Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel has the worst staff I have ever encountered in any Marriot property. Both check in and check out staff were unpleasant.

The woman who checked me in was abrupt and unfriendly. My Marriot profile was ignored and I was given a room at the far end of the hall. I was standing alone in the lobby with 6 large heavy travel cases. There were no luggage carts available. I had to make 3 trips from my room to the elevator.

When I got to my room it was hot. I looked at the thermostat and it was set to 72 degrees. I had to lower it to 64 degrees to get the AC to turn on.

The amenities in the room were good, nice TV, fresh looking furniture and carpet.

I ate at the properties bar, restaurant. Even though the menu is Identical to other Marriott properties the food was not good in comparison. Buffalo chicken wings were overcooked and very dry. The soup I got was cold...not warm...cold. I used the lobby microwave to heat it up rather than sending it back.

I got back to my room and it was still warm. I maxed out the AC.

The toilet in the room was leaking and ran to refill every 10 minutes. It was loud enough to wake me several times at night.

My maid knocked on the door at 8AM, I loudly replied "just a minute" and the door was immediately opened. I just got out of the shower and had my underwear on. Why wouldn't they give the maid a list of checked out rooms to start with if she is going to start so early? At least she apologized.

I told the check out clerk about the problems with the room's toilet and AC even though she didn't ask about my stay. She barely acknowledged me. No apology, no "thank you" no "goodbye."

This hotel needs new management.

5 Thank Mid-40-married
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that your stay with us was so unpleasant. It is clear you encountered a variety of problems during your stay. Your experience is not what we strive to provide and I am so sorry that we failed to deliver an outstanding stay in the true Marriott tradition. Please be assured that your TA post will be shared with all of my staff in their upcoming meeting. The issues you have touched on will be reviewed and training energizers will be conducted with our staff. Again, I apologize for your experience and please know that we will work hard to make improvements as we move forward.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed here recently for two nights on business. Beware of the king suites if your a lite sleeper! I initially had one and it turns out the suites are only on the side of the hotel facing a four lane road. Mine was at the end of the hall which was near a red light on the road. As the cars / trucks would speed-up the sound was quite pronounced. I was lucky the hotel was not full and I was able to change my room to the backside which was much more quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms on backside are much more quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I am sorry that your first night with us was less than comfortable. I realize that the noise can be diturbing to some guests. Like you, I am glad to hear that moving to the south side of the hotel proved much more quite and comfortable. I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to be of servcie to you in the future.
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I chose this hotel based on rate and proximity to the airport. I thought the younger front desk guy that checked me in was great, maybe Nathan? The guy working the Bistro was very nice too, but the rest of the staff could use some pointers! None went out of their way, not even when the fire alarm rang at 8am! I could just see them laughing as they were exiting, nevermind we were clueless guests hoping there wasn't a real fire! Rooms look a little old, shower head was coming out of the wall, finish on the tub was peeling, carpet was messed up, mattresses didn't feel right at all! Lobby and Bistro area were pretty, food at the Bistro wasn't half bad. Would definitely recommend more staff training!

Room Tip: If you get a high floor facing the street you can see Mt. Hood.
1 Thank SCNick1217
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Portland. I am sorry to hear that your experience was not more enjoyable. Your concerns regarding the our decor will be addressed in the next few months as we begin renovating our guestrooms. Until then I will be sure to have our team address the specific issues you mention including training. We want to do our very best to provide you with an outstanding stay. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you next time you visit Portland.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

It is an OK hotel, close to I-205, left from the exit. Thus, it is not as close to the airport as the other Marriott property. This is not the best place to stay in Portland (go downtown for that!) but is good enough for the business traveler. The coffee is good, food was not tried. Staff is very helpful in getting the rental car or other short hop. Beds are ok. Noise on the north (road) side of the hotel is pretty loud early due to airport starting up. Request south side for better sleep.

Room Tip: Stay on the south (non-road) side. Also avoid elevator areas.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thanks for staying with us during your recent visit to Portland and sharing your comments with the TA community. I appreciate hearing from our guests. I'm glad that you enjoyed the coffee. Next time you are with us give our Bistro a try. We have a wide variety of options to chose from and quarterly promotional items as well. We hope to see you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The location was great, the room was nothing special and the new food service stunk. We went down the street to Shari's after one experience with the food service "bar". Really missed the breakfast buffet option. Easy access to the various interstate highways.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad to see that our location was convenient for you. Unfortunately, I am sorry to hear that our Bistro service/offerings did not meet with your approval. We do have different promotional offerings in our Bistro quarterly. I hope that if you are with us in the future you will find something to your liking. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to be of service to you again soon.