“Good for overnight stay, great staff”

Courtyard Portland Airport
Ranked #48 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Kenai
“Good for overnight stay, great staff”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed overnight for the first time at this Courtyard near the PDX airport. First off I will say that since the refresh of the Courtyard brand several years back I have avoided these like the plague. I do not like the Bistro concept nor do I need a large interactive Go Board in the lobby, I have my own technology for that!

During evening arrival hours the shuttle is on-call, so once you get outside be sure and give the hotel a call and let them know you are there. It was about an eight minute ride to the property. Check in was efficient, my gold status was recognized and the staff was very polite and we had a good conversation about the Courtyard brand. The agent was very proud of her hotel, which is a trait that I love to see.

The positive aspects of this stay included great staff both at the desk and in the bistro, a spacious very clean room, good fast wi-fi and microwave/refrigerator in the room. I know there was a fitness center and meeting rooms in the hotel, but I was there for a 12 hour turnaround and did not have a chance to visit them.

Honestly my only complaint is the Bistro. The agent told me on check in that they had an "enhanced Bistro" because they have a kitchen and food was made to order. It was, I had a sandwich and it wasn't bad, and it wasn't great. I had no other food options and that did the job of a meal until I had to fly out the next morning.

If you have other dining options in your trip, this is a great property. I would have preferred a full service property for this turn around trip, but there were none in very close proximity to PDX which is what was needed on this trip. Great value and wonderful staff!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AKDan
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your opinion of our hotel and your stay. I appreciate hearing from our guests and I take their input seriously. Our goal is to exceed your expectations. I'm sorry that your Bistro experience wasn't more positive. As a Courtyard with an Enhanced Plus menu we do offer steak, seafood and pasta dishes. We are fortunate to be able to offer a wider variety than most Courtyard. We will be undergoing room renovations this year. If you are traveling through Portland again later in the year we would love the opportuity to serve you. Maybe you can try out one of our heartier entrees in the Bistro. You have several delicious options to choose from. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was a pretty average Courtyard but the worst part was I could have stayed at the ALOFT right down the street for $10 cheaper. For the money, I'd head to another chain for more comfort and a better scene. The bar was pretty good and the bartender was really cool. The food was OK but I'd have rather had something at a regular restaurant for the cost. I found the room to be very drab, no extras at all and laid out similar to a cheap line hotel room. For the money, I'd have expected a nicer room. I did really appreciate the free wifi but I could have gotten that at ALOFT too. I'd expect this to have been at least $25 cheaper per night, if not more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. After the completion of our renovation I hope you will return for another stay. We would welcome the opportunity to change your mind about us. Also, thank you for the compliments on our bartender. Again, thank you for your input. I appreciate your candor.
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My first stay at a Marriott without a refrigerator or a microwave.
The bathroom counter was so small I had to place my soap and other accessories in the drawer in the bedroom.
The Staff was friendly.
This property needs to be remodeled to look like todays Courtyard properties.
It is old and run down.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean newer room with new carpet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank elliott99362
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I apologize that you found your room to be less than you expected. That can be very disappointing. I have good new for you though. We will begin a renovation of our guestrooms this year! It is an exciting time for us as we begin this process. We look forward to updating our rooms and providing a comfortable relaxing space for our guests. I hope you will allow us an opportunity to be of service to you in the future.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and have found it to be clean, comfortable and extremely convenient to the airport. I recently stayed at the hotel ahead of an early morning flight and left behind something valuable in my room. When I called the hotel after realizing what I had done, they retrieved the item right away and the general manager of the hotel went out of her way to take responsibility and make sure that the item was shipped back to me. Many thanks to the alert and helpful staff!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am delighted that we were able to return your item to you in a timely manner. Thank you choosing to stay with us at the Courtyard Portland Airport when you visit our fair city. We look forward to connecting with you again soon. All my best...
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Great service. Only minutes away and a complimentary shuttle to the airport. Rooms are good. Very clean. They provide an alarm clock you can plug your iPod into and play music. Free and fast wifi! Great stay overall.

• Stayed November 2012
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Not a train wreck but my suite was circa 1990 wallpaper pealing from bathroom shower area and just the look of a tired courtyard with the deception of the redone lobby. Hallways have that familiar green carpet (think 1980 Courtyard) with depressing brown doors Check in only so so and they forgot to tell me that shuttle was by appointment only and I had to take a cab to airport even though I arrived downstairs before the top of the hour at 5am and the sign at check in says shuttle runs every 30 minutes. Restaurant service as excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MONYLINE
Dawna R, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
I am excited to share with you that we will begin guestroom renovations later this year. With the dramatic change in Courtyard's appearance over the past few years our 2007 renovation is now outdated. I am looking forward to the refreshing updates coming soon. I apologize that our shuttle service was not clearly communicated to you upon check-in. I will take the opportunity to use your experience as a training tool for our desk associates. I want to insure we are providing you with all of the important information needed upon your arrival. Thank you for choosing Courtyard and for sharing your experience.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We checked in for a one night stay for easy access to the airport. The access might have been a bit too easy, as we were directly on the landing flight path---which proved noisy until late evening--when the flights stopped.

The room was nicely sized, but with a wall mounted air-conditioning unit which was noisy. The bathroom was good with separation of the toilet and the small sink. There was a mirror outside of the bathroom which aided my wife with her make-up chores. The room needs more wall sockets, but was equipped with a hide-a-bed---if you had more people sharing the room.

This is one of the new styled Courtyard's that offers cocktails and bar food in the lobby w/o having the travel outside the hotel---much appreciated. The hotel was only 17 minutes from downtown and had great access to rental car return, along with a nice shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family