“Only rating the bar”

Ranked #713 of 4,404 Restaurants in Portland
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We just had cocktails here - so this rating only pertains to the bar. The building and restaurant portion look beautiful. Fun old building. The cocktails we had were overpoured, far too strong, and just not that good. Disappointed.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went on the ghost tours here which is another review. But while we waited, we visited the bar. It was so fun with dark lighting, red lights, creepy lady picture on top of the piano and spiders/halloween decor. It felt like we were back in time when it was open to old town westerners and prostitutes. The drinks were reasonable. Actually, our waiter was so nice as to buy us another round of drinks. We tipped him extra. He says he does that twice a night to great folks who visit the bar. Very fun place for Halloween anyway. Also, encountered the famous drag queen that had a show next door. The neighborhood was a fun night out.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been a fan of Hobo's for years. My brother worked here. My best friend worked here. I worked across the street. I know the staff and rarely I'm surprised.
Well, until recently that is.
My wife recently celebrated a birthday and wanted to dine and dance with her friends. We were scheduled to meet at one venue but it was closed for a private party...on a Saturday...in the 'kinda' club district. We messaged the guests and tried another venue. Another private party. Odd. After gathering at a nearby bar I made an executive decision (with some support), Hobo's it is.
The set up a long table on the mezzanine for roughly 20 people. No reservations just a short wait for arranging. Well, that was convenient.
I made it upstairs a touch after most due to greeting the owners and some staff to explain the situation and they were very accommodating and genuinely pleased to see us.
Food and drink was had. All of it very good and I recommend both the menu and the bartenders. Steve, our server was attentive and spot on.
Towards the end of the meals and while deciding where to dance, a DJ starts to play...good music, of all things. At this point my wife declares that with a little room, we could stay here and try to dance. Note here, not a dance club, merely a great restaurant/lounge.
I inquire to the owners and Steve about moving the tables to the walls of the mezzanine, to which a hearty affirmative is given. Hurrah, and dance party Hobo's for wifey's birthday is on!
She had a blast. Her friends were greatly entertained. Hobo's shined in every way.
If you visit Portland, want to be in the heart of the more rambunctious part of downtown and are comfortable with a little alternative flavor to your evening, come to Hobo's.
They've accomplished a difficult task. Improved and adapted on a good thing to make it great.

1  Thank josh w
Reviewed April 1, 2012

To be honest, I didn't expect much, mostly due to the location. Old Town Portland in general doesn't seem to offer much (at all) in the way of restaurants with ambience, in fact I've had a hard time locating a place for lunch or dinner that I really like. But for a drink with co-workers, Hobo's was ok. Better ambience than expected and how can you screw up a beer?

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have gone to Hobo's on many occasions. They hosted my wedding. They did everything to perfection. The food was great, which it always is. They have a large menu and they have daily specials made with locally grown veggies and meats/fish. This is the best restaurant I've ever been to. They never disappoint.

Been to Hobo's? Share your experiences!