“Very good food, small portions and high prices.”
Review of Urban Farmer

Urban Farmer
Reserve with OpenTable
Urban Farmer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 4,420 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: between 5th and 6th Ave
Transit: We are located right on the Max Line at the Pioneer Place stop as well as the Steetcar Pioneer Place stop.
Description: Urban Farmer redefines the modern steakhouse with an emphasis on Northwest, sustainable ingredients and simple, straightforward preparations within a farmer chic environment. The menu honors national and local culinary traditions sourcing ingredients from some of the Northwest’s finest eco-friendly producers like Sudan Farms, Wooden Bridge, Nicky Farms, and Cattail Creek. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, weekend brunch and happy hour, Urban Farmer remains a reliable and approachable destination amidst Portland’s bustling food scene.Designer David Ashen of D-ASH Design in New York created a unique restaurant space within the 8th floor atrium lobby of the Nines Hotel. The space makes use of organic, reclaimed and modern materials such as a 20-foot communal table sourced from an old-growth Douglas Fir. The spacious “Deck” captures the light-hearted feel of outdoor dining and is accented by a field of wheat grass in the center of the room. A video installation by one of Portland’s favorite experimental artists, Matt McCormick, rolls stunning images of the city’s rural and urban landscapes. The “Pantry” offers an intimate setting with walls of steel and reclaimed timber, as well as shelves stacked with vibrant jars of pickled fruits and vegetables. The Library , adjacent to Urban Farmer in the lobby, is the ideal venue for guests to host private parties, play a game of pool or enjoy a quiet cocktail.
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We had been contemplating a visit here for a long time and finally got around to it last weekend. It is located in the lobby level of the Nines Hotel in downtown Portland. It is in a huge atrium with a ceiling about five floors high. It is quite a unique atmosphere and very modern. We found that like most restaurants located in a hotel the prices are higher than elsewhere. We ate the bar and had good service. The food was very good but the prices were absolutely at the top end of reasonableness. We are glad we went and are able to say we've been there but it just wasn't enough to bring us back in a hurry. Portland has too many specialty restaurants that are more reasonably priced. I guess this would be very convenient if you are staying at the hotel.

Dan M, Manager at Urban Farmer, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thank you very much for your recent dinner review of Urban Farmer on January 9. I am pleased you enjoyed the food but and am disappointed that you felt the experience did not justify the price. If you are willing to provide us with you contact information I would be happy to send you a gift certificate in the hope that you join us again so that we may deliver an experience worthy of the price.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Ok. This place looks as fabulous as it is. I'd never heard of a steak tasting menu, but they had one. Turns out, the meat tastes different based on what the cows are fed and where they are raised. They tell you all that when you order. But you can also get a meal where you can taste three kinds against each other. Sides are terrific -- I could eat the brussels sprouts every day. Spinach terrific. Potatoes oohlala. They have a very full wine list and things are priced as you'd expect. The wait staff was invisible in a GOOD way -- you;d be thinking about "I might need more water soon" and then notice the glass had already been filled. We had a group of ten and they handled it like we were much smaller -- again, a complement. I love that they really do strive to live up to the locavore/omnivore name: even the CANDLES they use come from the cows they are serving us. The dungeness crab wasn't as strong as the steak, but I'm a Maryland crab person so maybe I'm not a good judge. A great night out, and a special place. Oh! and name your cocktail -- it will be a standout there.

1  Thank janebeard

Dear Jane,

Thank you very much for your kind dinner review of Urban Farmer on January 8. We are delighted to learn you had a great experience. I am pleased that the steaks and sides met expectations and the cocktails were outstanding. I am also very pleased the service made you feel that you were in an intimate setting. Thank you again for your feedback. Reviews like this one truly motivate and inspire us. We look forward to seeing you again next time you visit Portland.

Dan

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We went to UF for brunch on Christmas morning and everything was top notch. Casual relaxed atmosphere but service was spot on. Very accommodating to our needs and made great suggestions as we had difficulty picking from so many choices. Atmosphere is beautiful and we can't wait to go back for dinner soon.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

If you are looking for a nice steak house which we go to on every trip we take over the past 20 years this is one that is about 2 out of 5. The ambiance is not that great and the price is pretty high. The other thing I did not like was they added 20% automatic tip which I have no problem paying 20% if the service is great but I would like the option and the service was average. The steak was a very good i think they have a good quality product but the amount of food was more like a fine dining French restaurant and the price was above Morton's. I did not try breakfast or lunch so I can't speak for that. When I return to Portland I would not eat here if I am thinking of steak.

Dear Michael,

I am very sorry that your dinner experience at Urban Farmer was a disappointment. I'm sorry you did not care for the feel of the restaurant and you felt the service was only average. If you are willing to provide with your contact information I would be happy to send you a gift certificate toward a return visit. Once again I apologize for not meeting your expectations and I hope you decide to give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Dan

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Wonderful breakfast at the Urban Farmer made us want to go back for dinner. Everything was prepared perfectly. When we asked about the outstanding bacon we learned they butcher, cure, and cut all their own meats and you sure could tell from the quality. Another thing we appreciated was that we were not cramped and it was not terribly noisy -- both situations we often deal with in Portland for breakfast. This was a great find and we will return!