“Concert hall with a bar atmosphere”
Review of Crystal Ballroom

Crystal Ballroom
Ranked #4 of 215 Nightlife in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: A swing music nightclub.
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This could be a great place to go to concerts because of the size but the way the walls are make it far to noisy. I felt badly for the performers because there was so much talking you couldn't hear them singing. You could also hear the noise from the club down stairs throughout the concert. You have to climb 3 flights of stairs to get there with a narrow top and I was a little worried it might be a fire hazard to get out in an emergency. This was our 6th concert this year and the first time at the Crystal Ballroom. I won't be back.

There are newer reviews for Crystal Ballroom

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I've been to this place a million times and have usually enjoyed myself pretty well. Contrary to what other posts say, the acoustics are not bad. Or at least do not keep the music from being decent and audible. Sillyness. It's spacious and can pack a decent enough amount of people. The staff are usually alright and the location is central. It's what you'd expect from a venue. Nothing less and nothing to complain about.

1  Thank CaptainAwethume
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Would have enjoyed Joshua Radin immensely if I could have heard him. Tried both sides of this room, plus the balcony. I couldn't tell you if it was acoustics or the total lack of respect as people talked over the music. Plus, it was extremely hot and it was a cool night outside. I can't imagine if it was in the heat of the summer. Picked up a cd on the way out and didn't even stay for the headliner. Why a musician would want to play in this venue is beyond me. A+ for all the employees we encountered. Huge D- for venue. B+ if you can find a place to stand under the fan in the balcony or in front of the fan by the pizza!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We got there early and actually found a place to park. When you get in the floor actually moves like your bouncing? Everyone comes in and starts jumping up and down:) Bar was in the back, and slow. Mcmenamins is next store, so we stopped in before we went in the concert. Big open floor and a great place to see a show.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went to see Pentatonix here. The ballroom is about what you'd expect from a venue of this size and type. It was beastly hot in the room and there was no air flow at all. The room was packed and this kept the floating dance floor hopping. The building has some pretty neat history, and the posters everywhere really drove home what all this building has been through. It seems like everyone has played the ballroom over the years. Again, it was ok for this type of concert, just nothing special