“First Time, Last Time??...The Jury is Still Out.”
Review of Crystal Ballroom

Crystal Ballroom
Ranked #4 of 215 Nightlife in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: A swing music nightclub.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

In all the years I have lived in Portland, I had not been to any activities at the ballroom, so when George Clinton and the Parliaments came to town, I had to get tickets. Well, as my title states, first time, last time...?? not sure yet.

This review is difficult to write because was it the band or the venue? I think my bad experience was a combination of the two. The concert started by a staff person from CB stating that the venue was smoke free, all acts require exiting the building, etc...BUT! within 5 mins of the announcement, we start smelling weed. The quantity that saturated the air by mid starring attractions was so bad and so heavy, we had to leave, we couldn't take it anymore.

The other downer was the bar, the drinks were so watered down it was ridiculous. One cool thing was the bouncing floor, which freaked me out, I hadn't heard it prior, so I thought the floor was going to give way.

So as you can see, was it the concert, or the venue....or both? I won't be rushing back to CB anytime soon, it was a horrible experience...considered asking for my money back.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Went to see Big Head Todd and the Monsters here and it was worth every penny. We stayed upstair where there was plenty of room and great bartenders. Downstairs as packed and we much preferred being upstairs. We'd heard about the bouncing floor and actually saw people falling down because of it! Glad to be upstairs. The acoustics were great and we'd defintely attend another concert there.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

McMenamin's has done it again, they restored and renovated this old ballroom and it is the best place to see a show in Portland. Big enough for some great bands, small enough to be intimate and did I mention a mechanical bouncing wooden floor! You have to see a concert here!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Went here to see Keane. Nice venue, very old school ballroom which made for interesting accoustics. Great to be see close to the band. Good mixed crowd, proper beer on tap and reasonable pretzel and pizza to snack on!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The floor bounces literally. The crowed has always been great, dont have drink-only upstairs (roseland f.u.) and just a cool looking place. Cant leave once enter but they got big smoking patio can use.