“A real delight”

Ranked #16 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Juneau, Alaska
“A real delight”
Reviewed May 16, 2007

I was very pleasantly suprised during this, my first stay at the Benson. It's an old hotel, but has a great deal of polish and class. It doesn't feel old or kitchey. It feels elegant.

The room was average size, but everything was spotless. The carpet was thick, the towels had quality, the terry robes were comfortable. I really enjoyed the special tempurpedic matress. I had seen them in stores, but never had the chance to try one. It was a real treat.

I loved the restaurant. It has been ages since I had breakfast with white linen, quality china and silverplate. The service was outstanding. Oh, and the food was superb. They have a talented kitchen, which seams a rarity these days. Nothing I ate came out of a bulk pack or ever saw a microwave. I was at a business meeting, and even the catered meals were excellent. The pastry was absolutely superb.

Best of all were the staff. They were extraordinarily polite and constantly asked if there was more they could do for me. It was done just right - not annoying and not toadying.

My room was scurpulously cleaned at least twice a day, and then turndown service was every night. The temperature controls performed quickly and accurately. I'm a fresh air fiend and the windows were big and opened wide.

The only less than perfect aspects were the wireless Internet cost $10/day instead of being free, and my view looked at what was obviously an ugly phone company building.

For this type of service I have paid three times the price, and not been as satisfied. The Benson is a delight and a bargain. I look forward to returning.

• Liked — The staff was absolutely first rate
  • Disliked — The view from my room stunk - ask for something decent when you check in
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Cheechako2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington State
Reviewed April 30, 2007

After Priceline gave me The Benson Hotel as my 4-star choice, I then read previous reviews and got a little worried. My 2 sisters come every year for 4 days and we hang out but it's my job to find the accomodations and day spa's etc. Walking into the lobby of the Benson is like going back in time - very ornate and beautiful! But the rooms are nothing to speak of.... small, dated and very few amenities (no fridge or microwave) plus very little light. The beds are comfortable, the location is great, and the service is exceptional. We ordered in breakfast twice and the food was incredible. Valet is over-the-top with exceptional service but it is pricey at $25 per night. With the price we got the room for at $104 per night, I wasn't too disappointed. But I couldn't imagine people paying over $200 for what you get in the rooms.

• Liked — the exceptional service
  • Disliked — the dated rooms and lack of amenities that most newer hotels have
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank shellym111
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 12, 2007

I would take this review with a grain of salt, but I was not all that happy with this place.

This is a charming, historic landmark that makes you feel like you're stepping back into the early-1900s. Despite being an old hotel, it is in wonderful shape - almost in brand new shape. The furnishings are nice and it's a nice place with a cool lobby.

But, I won't stay here again. It's oldness is what makes it great and what makes it a less-than-ideal place to stay. My room was TINY (NYC Tiny), but I don't think all the rooms are that way. I suspect mine was a result of my Priceline status. A lady on the elevator was complaining about the size of her room as well so it's not just me. Also, it is very loud. When water runs when a neighbor is showering, it sounds like Niagra Falls and when someone opens/closes their room door, it's very loud. Also, even though I was on a non-smoking floor, I still smelled smoke. I suspect age/lack of structural isolation is a factor here.

The TV is tiny and there's no in-room Internet service supplied by the hotel, but you can find some wireless signals. In fact, I'm writing this as I am in my room here.

The location is great - close to Powell Books/Great Shopping/Great Restaurants in the heart of Downtown Portland.

I've stayed at the Marriott right down the street on Broadway and would go there over this place. That said, some people probably love the old-world charm of this place, but it's not for me.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank mulled01
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed April 8, 2007

I booked a 4 star hotel on Priceline for $60 and got a room at the Benson Hotel. I was very nervous when I read some of the reviews posted on tripadvisor. However I feel like a lot of the reviews are incorrect and cause me unnecessary anxiety. I thought this was a great hotel. It was clean, comfortable, very traditional, not modern, but still very tastefully decorated. I usually like to stay at the Westin, but this was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up. It was perfectly fine, the staff were helpful, especially the concierge. Upon arrival they wanted to put me in a room with one queen size bed, but I was travelling with two children and my husband I requested two double beds instead, she said usually that would be considered an upgrade, but with very little persuading she gave it to me for free. My sister had also booked through priceline and unfortunately received a room near the airconditioner, she requested to be moved, and they put her on the tenth floor, no problems. So yes all in all a successful booking, I would definately stay there again.

Stayed April 2007
San Rafael
Reviewed April 1, 2007

Front desk staff was attentive, great location near Pioneer Square, Pearl District and Powell's books.
Room was good, but they are in the process of renovation.
The one bad note was that we saw room service trays outside rooms for several hours even though maids were on the same floor.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank meklof
Ashland,Oregon
Reviewed March 31, 2007

My family and I had a wonderful time at the Benson Hotel during late March. I admit I was not that impressed at first, we were tired & hungry and had a horrible time finding the hotel due to road construction blocking off an important road, and had to park at a garage 1 block away. We walked up to the Benson with luggage in tow, but the valet people (4 to be exact) ignored us, even when prompted by me letting go of the handle of my suitcase and standing there for several seconds, quite confused at that point because nobody offered to take our bags we made our way up several stairs into the front lobby; yes the lobby is in the middle of some type of remodeling, but looks as though it will be done soon. Check-In was pretty quick and easy, and they were friendly enough. We were given a 10th floor room with a wonderful city view, and it was relatively quiet for a city in the downtown area. The rooms were a bit small but was prepared for this because of the reviews, however, I was surpised that the bathrooms did not have an out take fan, and I thought hmmm, so this is what "historic" means. Well, soon enough the charm of the place and heavenly beds won us over. It was walking distance of many to-do's on our list & the staff always responded quickly to our needs and inquiries. My two girls were happily spoiled by the London Grill and Housekeeping, lots of free chocolates and candy. If you decide to order room service, it is pricey but the food is delicious and has very ample portions, nicely served too. Parking, definetly park at the garage right next to the Benson on SW Broadway, the max. charge for 24 hours is $17 and the hotel has it's own entrance thru the garage, which is a lighted/carpeted corridor that takes you to the London Grill area. The wine that is served during tasting time is lovely, and cheddar, brie, jack cheese and crackers too, not saltines but Pepperidge Farms assorted mix. Cannot comment on the cookies and tea, we missed that. I realize that this review is a mixed bag, but the hotel did win us over, and we were treated well even though we had "Priceline" reservations.

• Liked — The Beds, Location, Service, Food, Safety, Extras & Comfort
  • Disliked — Construction & No Bathroom Fan
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank RoyalTraveler
Seattle
Reviewed March 25, 2007

As a priceline. customer they still accommodated my daughter with asthma in a nonsmoking room, though after booking they said they couldn't guarantee this, it all worked out. The rooms are nice, the memory foam mattress lulls you to a deep sleep, lots of pillow choices (I liked the squishy one). The rooms are are just too dim. No matter if we turned on all of the lights they were low-light...at least we looked "flawless" to eachother. The bathroom had been newly remodeled, pedestal sink no counter space, but nice and clean and neat and new-feeling. Nothing special for view from 337, "oooh! a pigeon" on a roof was the extent of that excitement. The door porter wearing a boler and cape gave me pause to think I was in too elegant of a hotel for our needs, but he was friendly. The valet parking was intimidating at first but not after the first go-around---self parking is a nonstarter. It's a swanky hotel, and if you want to dress up and go to a downtown restaurant or attend an event in style, this is great. It's not that it's unfriendly towards families, it's just not too much fun for kids. The staff did a good competent job, no snoot treatment ever (though I half expected there would be). We're more of a pool and Denny's-near-by type of family, but there's really no criticism to be made whatsoever of the Benson. The lobby is awesome, amazing woodwork, free apples/coffee/tea/cookies I think there's winetasting but we missed that. The location is downtown, so there's a lot of nice restaurants within walking distance, book stores, grocery store, and the usual "characters" but we had no problem. Would recommend for honeymooners, anniversary celebrations, 4 star resort-class travelers, high-end business.

• Liked — Downtown location
  • Disliked — Dim room lights, having to pay for internet when it's free in the city
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)