3,108 results
All reviews the palm court classic hotel beautiful historic hotel beautiful lobby junior suite lobby bar old school the pearl within walking distance older hotel heart of downtown street noise wine tasting valet parking powell's books pioneer square bed was very comfortable
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Didn’t really look as advertised. Staff was a little demeaning if you don’t look like you should be there. Would be upset if I didn’t get a deal. Won’t go here again. There are a lot of hotels to choose from instead.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels
luizah97034, Guest Relations Manager at The Benson, a Coast Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Hayden,
Thank you for your comments. We are all truly sorry that your stay did not go as you'd hoped. I would appreciate a chance to speak with you and learn how we might regain your confidence in The Benson. I hope to be able to contact you or you can call the Executive Office to reach me. I am available at your convenience and hope to speak to you very soon. Again, we are very sorry that you felt your stay was subpar and hope you will allow us another opportunity to show you the level of service and hospitality for which we are known.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

What a stately, elegant hotel! great restaurant, great bar!! wonderful, friendly staff. The room was immaculate as were the hallways and elevators. Loved the Benson!! DEfinitely stay there if you go to Portland!! Center of city - close to Powell's and also to shopping areas. Frankly, we paid almost as much for other hotels that we're even in the same ball park!!! Good value and luxurious stay!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

Thank you for the 5 star rating! We are grateful for your kind comments! It is gratifying to hear that you liked our hotel, bar, restaurant and staff! Thank you, as well, for recommending the Benson to others on TripAdvisor and for sharing your perception of the value we offer. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Walked in way underdressed we had just arrived from the Amtrak station. The staff could not have been more inviting checked us in promptly and we were joking at the front desk. The lobby is beautifully done, great woodwork, nice chandeliers, and a beautiful ceiling. I don’t know if it is all original but it is grand. We had a nice corner room with good views out two sides. The room could have used a hassock or something to put your feet up on. That is about my only complaint. Went down the morning we were leaving to make sure of checkout time. When I told the front desk person that we were going to wait in the lobby for an hour before going back to the train station she graciously extended our checkout time until 1 pm. The really appreciate you as a customer here.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and comments. We really appreciate it! We are glad you liked your room and the view. We are also pleased to hear you were happy with the late checkout provision. It is nice that we were able to help you in that regard. Thanks for staying with us. Hopefully you will be able to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The entire hotel was gorgeous, as well as the view looking out onto the city of Portland. We ate at the 'El Gaucho', located within the hotel itself; We were astounded at the impeccable service and delightful food. The stay and room itself were fantastic, the Benson truly went out of their way to create a great 30th wedding anniversary for I and my wife.

Dear Ed,
We are thrilled that your 30th wedding anniversary went well! Thanks for giving us the chance to play a part in it. It is nice to hear you were happy with the view, as well as your room and that you liked your experience at El Gaucho. We wish you and your wife the very best for the next 30 years to come! Hopefully we'll get a chance to have you as our guests many times before then!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I visit the Benson fairly often for meals and meetings. The front door staff and valet attendants always remember me! They call me by name and make me feel important on each visit. The wait staff is equally friendly and engaging. The food and the building are amazing, but the people make the difference. Ian, Jason, and Vid at the front always make me feel welcome. Thank you!

• Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Scott,
Thank you for the 5 star rating! We're glad you appreciate the service you receive from Ian, Jason and Vid on our valet/door team. They will be thrilled to hear your comments. So, too, will our wait staff. We are honored and extremely grateful for your accolades! Thank you for your patronage. We look forward to having you visit again soon.