“Great stay at the Benson”
Review of Benson Hotel

Benson Hotel
Ranked #18 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Nashville,TN
“Great stay at the Benson”
Reviewed April 21, 2006

I stayed at The Benson on April 21, 2006. I was a little worried because I had secured my room through Priceline at $89 for the night and I had read several bad reviews on Trip Advisor. However, I was very pleasantly surprised. When I arrived, I asked about upgrading to a king size room and they offered a JR suite at only a cost of $30 more over above what I paid through priceline. The room was great. It had a wonderful view of downtown Portland, one of the bridges (can't remember the hame), the Columbia river, and Mt. Hood. It was room 1017, so if you can get that one. It had a nice sitting area with a loveseat, chair, tables, and the armoire with TV in it. The king size bed was absolutely wonderful!! Because it is an old hotel, the lighting can be a little dim, but it was fine for me. The ONLY complaint I have is that the bathroom is too small. It has a pedestal sink so there is no room for your makeup and stuff. Otherwise, I thorougly enhjoyed my stay. Also, customer service was EXCELLANT. I didn't expect that because I have stayed at other 4 star hotels by going through priceline and they have always treated me different than a person that would pay the full rack room rate. But hey, I'm willing to give up a little bit of customer service to stay in 4 and 5 star hotels at 1/2 the price!!

3 Thank TravelkidNashville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Laguna Beach
Reviewed April 18, 2006

The Benson Hotel costs $25/night for valet parking. Right next door is a 24hr parking structure. Only $17 for 24hrs. Safe and close.

5 Thank seremarcus
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 5, 2006

The hotel is in a great location in Portland, but then again, there are lots of hotels in downtown Portland, so that is hardly exceptional. It is nice, and was very clean. I liked it well enough, but it was the small details though were what bothered me--inconsistent maid service, a front desk guy who claimed stupid drunk people were "epidemic" when I complained about the noise in the hall at 1am, etc. Twice I was awakened by a maid knocking on the door wanting in (at 8:30 am) despite the do not disturb sign. They say papers are complimentary, but charge on Sundays. If they charge almost $200 a night for a room, why charge me for the Sunday paper?

Bottom line, dont pay full price for this. I got my room through priceline for about 40% of the listed price. And valet is $25/night, with in and out privileges, but you can park up the street overnight for less.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank LadyoftheMoon
seattle
Reviewed March 28, 2006

The Benson in downtown Portland is an excellent hotel at a reasonable price, within walking distance to most things you might want to see in the city. Two couples of us spent two nights and were very happy with our choice. The rooms are very comfortable and up-to-date, the ones facing the outside wall have the most light. Everytrhing provided with the room, e.g. TV, furniture, personal care items, are of good quality. The staff is friendly and helpful, but will let you take care of yourself if you so choose, e.g. take your own bags to your room. There is a very pleasant lobby downstairs where there is free wine tasting, free apples, free newspapers, including the Wall Street Journal. See what I mean? Good restaurants in the hotel and nearby make this the perfect place from which to visit Portand. Hooray for the Benson!

4 Thank drelde
Salem, OR
Reviewed March 26, 2006

The bottom line is that this was a “mixed” experience. This hotel is a Portland institution and the lobby is gorgeous. There’s a bar in one corner of the lobby, but it closes (on a Saturday night) at 12:30 am. The front desk staff person who checked us in was cordial, professional, and efficient, even as she attempted to charge us more than the agreed-upon upgrade price. Although politely remarking that she was glad to take my word for it when I offered to show her my notes, she couldn’t help but express (fairly haughtily) how surprised she was that our upgrade was “discounted.” On first blush the rooms were decorated in a way you would expect from a 4-star hotel, yet on closer inspection the condition of the rooms looked a little worn and rough around the edges. The pedestal sink in the bathroom looked nice until you tried to do hair and makeup and realized that the only room to set curling irons, make up, etc. was a 4 inch deep shelf over the sink that tilted down ever so slightly so that most items rolled off into the sink, and that was half taken up with a rather ordinary collection of sample bathroom amenities in a battered plexiglass holder. The shower/tub had plenty of hot water and great pressure, but the tile grout was grungy looking. The towels were fluffy and wonderful, but there was no sign of the bathrobes advertised on the website. One room had extra blankets and pillows but there were none in the other room (where they were actually needed.)
The details: As I have been anxious to try Priceline after reading about others’ experiences, I figured I couldn't go wrong with a 4-star facility so I booked two rooms. I was delighted when my roll of the dice netted two rooms at the Benson as I felt it was the perfect place to celebrate my daughter’s birthday. Fortunately after I made my reservation I called the hotel directly to confirm the rooms and found to my shock that the rooms I paid for were Queen rooms, rather than the King rooms shown on the hotel’s website (Queen rooms were not listed as available for that evening on the hotel’s reservation website.) I was told the upgrade would be $20 per room so my price for a $179 room went from $109 to $129, which I still thought of as a decent bargain. However, after staying in the rooms I think the price was no bargain. It appears that they set aside rooms in need of remodeling and in poor locations (one room’s view consisted of a solid cement wall across the street) as their “Priceline” rooms. It’s an understandable policy but in our case a mistake as we will not return to find out if the quality of a regularly priced room is in fact any better. In the future we won't use Priceline and as we plan to stay frequently in Portland, we will simply choose other 4-star hotels with better reviews.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank Deborah G
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Unfortunately The Benson's glory days are behind it. With the exception of the wonderful tempurpedic mattress, the hotel is definitely not 4-star quality as listed on Priceline. Coast Hotels & Resorts is the owner, and the quality level of their other hotels are the same as a Holiday Inn. They simply do not know how to run a sophisticated establishment -- allowing vast amounts of dirty grout in the shower surround, playing cheesy dentist-type music in the elevators--the place simply did not feel fresh. On the plus side, the staff was very friendly, and I appreciated a 1 PM checkout.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank polka party
Portland, OR
Reviewed March 5, 2006

... but not 5 star. First, the hotel is "small" by modern standards, but this is because it is an old place. The lobby is a beautiful wood-paneled area and the rooms are generally very small. Service is good but not great. IF you can have such a room, ask for a corner room facing SE so you can look up Broadway (and try to be on the 5th floor or higher).

I've stayed there 3 times: once for a birthday and twice for their New Year's Eve party. All stays were very nice but not "great." On two fo the three visits they messed up my bill checking out.

They have a variety of packages available, though none are cheap. The restaurant (in the basement) is the classic "London Grill" which is very nice. A good package stay will give you $100 to spend there, and surely can spend that for two. Their New Year's Eve party is fun though a bit crowded and one can easily end up standing most of the time; and if you want to do this, be sure to reserve a couple of months in advance.

All in all, nice, but not great.

• Stayed December 2005