2,595 results
All reviewsthe palm courtbeautiful lobbyclassic hoteljunior suitebeautiful historic hotellobby barold schoolthe pearlwithin walking distancean older hotelstreet noisewine tastingheart of downtowngreat downtown locationpowell's bookstorevalet parkingpioneer square
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Benson for work. I chose this hotel specifically because I love beautiful, historic hotels. When I told locals I was staying there, I heard gushing praise about the service and "old Portland" charm. However, as much as I wanted to love it, I merely liked it.

Location: The location is good and right in the middle of downtown Portland. There were bars, restaurants, and coffee shops all within easy walking distance. I was also able to take the light rail directly from the airport to within a few easy blocks of the hotel for a $5 all-day pass! The light rail took
just as much time as the cab I took on the way back, but I know this varies by time of day. I understand that the the light rail usually takes more time.

The hotel itself had a gorgeous, old-world lobby that I did love. However, the rooms did not feel anything more than average. The size was fine, the bed was comfy, and I did not hear a peep from the other rooms. However, the bathrooms could have been more updated just to allow for modern comforts, such as a nicer shower head. I was also fascinated that there were actually pull-down blinds on the windows, which did not feel as much historic as it did strange. In general, there was nothing particularly interesting about the rooms.

My real criticisms were with the service. I had asked a specific question about my bill when I checked in, and I was told there was no issue. However, upon check-out, when I had less time, my original concern was validated and we had to spend time sorting things out. Things happen, but I would have appreciated dealing with my concern when I first raised it.

The second issue was with taxi service. To be fair, I had not ordered a taxi ahead of time, as I generally find it
unnecessary when I stay in a major hotel in a big city. When I left the hotel at 8am, there was no one available to help me hail a cab. Someone did eventually appear, but, in the end, I waited for 18 minutes before getting in a cab. I found this be highly unusual.

So, I liked it, but I really wanted to love it! I may just have been there on an off-day.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank MaureenHBSurfCity
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was ready to give the Benson a 4, mostly because I like historic hotels. I was quite disappointed in the morning when I had to stand in line to check out. There was no option for key drop, which we asked about. I, and other patrons, had to wait in line for at least 15 minutes to check out. If you require a check out, you should make sure you have enough staff to handle the rush at check out time.
About the room: we had a two double bed room. It was spacious enough, but the bathroom was quite small. There were no robes, either. I did appreciate the eco products in the shower. No need for the individual small bottle products. The doors were very loud - closing. A product of the old hotel.
We had a very nice, helpful bellman.
Good location in Portland. Close to Powell Books. Not as many vagrants around hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vacatrip1
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I now live in Portland so I do not need to stay downtown however that was not always the case. When I was away during my first year at University I needed to stay someplace in Portland for Christmas because my families house was completely full and I was married at that time. SO my family had me do a deal maker on priceline or hotwire or some such service. Anyways we got a night at the Benson for under $100.00. I have stayed at 5 star hotels and Resorts. I can truthfully say that the Benson is a grand Dame Hotel that has aged gracefully and is very enjoyable, it has abundant old world style luxury and the food is incredible. El Goucho is one of the finest steak houses I have ever been to. The room was a bit small but the bed was ultra premium and the bathroom while small was sparkling clean. For 100 bucks a night it is unbelievable. Also it is worth noting that its location is second to none, it is on Broadway in Downtown Portland within easy walking distance of great sales tax free luxury and normal shopping as well as the worlds largest book store Powells. Another noteworthy feature is that it is within a couple blocks of both the Portland Street Car as well as the MAX light rail system effectively connecting it with the entire metro area including service to the Airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin H
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We wanted to see the Saturday Market and other Portland sites. We found the Benton to be a great experience. Room was spacious clean and comfortable. We had a free wine tasting in the afternoon and used the Bar when we returned from dinner. Over all one of the nicest properties we have stayed at in quite a while. We do travel a lot so that is an indication of how impressed we were of their property.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed in July and had a wonderful stay. The room was comfortable and clean, had mints on our pillows and our bed turned down every evening.

Delicious breakfast, wine tasting in the lobby on Friday afternoon.

Great location, accessible to all parts of town. We walked everywhere.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family