“Got that feeling like I was in a whole different world”
Review of Benson Hotel

Benson Hotel
Ranked #16 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am not from Portland, and I only spent 2 nights in the city during my stay, but I really didn't get a great sense of security from the city. Portlanders probably will disagree, and perhaps you can chalk it up my lack of familiarity with the city, but when I was in the hotel I felt like I was in a whole different world (a good thing). I felt like I was in Rome (ancient times, of course) and the rest of Portland was Germania and the Barbarian lands. It is a beautiful hotel and very well maintained. The ONLY knock I have against it is the floor tile in the bathrooms - they are the standard 1" by 1" square tiles that you would most common find in a public restroom. Yes they are a brown color as opposed to the white you would find in public restrooms, but a bit of a turnoff for me. Otherwise the hotel was perfect. Complementary coffee, lovely shower, clean rooms, SUPER comfortable beds (felt like memory foam), spacious rooms, lovely lobby, doormen out front, complementary wine tasting at dusk, great views from the hotel, within walking distance of all the car rental companies and the public transit, all the little niceties in the bathroom (including mouthwash).

I would definitely stay here again if I ever come back to Portland. It can get a bit expensive, but AAA and military discount rates are pretty good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,349)

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We've stayed at the Benson twice. First time we stayed over a Saturday to Monday in the Spring of 2010. We had a interior room that was very cramped and the "old world charm" was not working for me. I was a little concerned when we landed the Benson again via hotwire.

This time we checked in late on a Friday night. We booked two rooms and both were on the 8th floor with a street "view". I should have listened to the previous reviewed who said to sacrifice the "view" in order to minimize noise, as we had full on volume Saturday night during the Starlight Parade. I would have asked for the rooms to be changed but given our tiny interior room the first trip, I wanted to see the difference. Our rooms were comfortable with a king bed, arm chair and ottoman. Yes, you can see some aging in the paint but I've seen much worse in hotels. All in all, this stay was much more pleasant, even with the noise from the Starlight Parade.

We didn't use the pool passes (about 6 blocks away and $15 a person- no thanks) or eat at any of the restaurants. PDX has too much to offer in terms of food and activities for me to spend it in a hotel. My husband did use the gym while the rest of us were sleeping off our travel weariness. He thought the gym was perfectly ok.

I enjoyed the plush robes and towels, the room size and central location. The bed was super comfortable, as were the sheets. The bathroom had an extra towel to place all our towels and amenities. Without that, it would have made the two glass shelves rather cramp. Lighting was on the poor side in our room. Our friend who stayed in the other room we booked thought her water pressure wasn't very good.

We had several issues with our safe. It wouldn't lock on our first morning, throwing things off for my husband. That same night it wouldn't open. We had maintenance come both times and they fixed it, but that was an inconvenience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Leslie C, Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for giving The Benson Hotel a second chance. We are very pleased to read you enjoyed your return stay. It is our goal to provide legendary experiences for our guests and we hope we were able to give you that during your recent visit. Thank you for taking the time to supply this review, we look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed at the Benson for 3 nights during the Rose Festival and Kink Concerts. Location is great. Just seemed a short walk to anyplace we wanted to be. The lobby is as impressive as everyone has already said. Beds very comfy. I have only one complaint and that is coffee. There isn’t a coffee maker in the room. There is some in the morning by the front desk..but I saw them take it away at 8am. Maybe it is a “We only make One pot thing” and not a time thing. I felt bad for those late risers who miss out. Should at least be there till 9 something. Coffee in the lounge is 3 bucks and it does come with very nice waiters. There is coffee shops just a couple blocks away.. so it is not like you have to do without exactly.. and we are early risers so we did manage to get our free cup before it was gone..Plus we have no problem playing for coffee.. I’m not so sure why it bugged me so much.. just seemed like such a cheap move for such a lovely hotel. . it is just that I know not everyone is up and at it before 8am. Other than that I loved the place. Whomever you take here will feel like they have been taken someplace very special because of the decor.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Benson Hotel. We appreciated your comments about our location, lobby and comfortable beds. We also appreciated your candid comments about our coffee service, as they help us improve our service for other guests and your next stay! Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Grandiose old-fashioned styling (which I love), friendly staff, nice big airy rooms. Yet the whole hotel comes off as stale. It isn't that the decor or anything is used, worn or ugly; rather it gives the impression of a grand old hotel way past its glory days.

Breakfast is served in the bar, inexplicable since there is a fabulous dining room downstairs, the food is also bland, and not of a terribly high quality, the only exception being the signature 'Potato Souffle'. The London Grill used to be a Portland favourite, yet I have not seen it open these past 2 weeks.

Rooms service is friendly and affordable, but the menu is bland and uninspiring.

The entire hotel can be summed up in one word: 'Almost'.

2  Thank Ze_Abron

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Benson Hotel during your time in Portland. We are disappointed to read you did not have the legendary experience we strive to provide, but appreciated your comments as they help to ensure your next stay lives up to our Benson Hotel standards. We now offer dining at the Palm Court and El Gaucho , which we hope you will be able to enjoy on your next visit. We do hope to see you again at The Benson Hotel for a much more memorable and enjoyable experience.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our room was quite nice, while not terrifically roomy. It was clean and we had no problems with noise. Those working the front desk were quite friendly. I slept well, and had a lovely time. I'd definitely return.

Room Tip: I suppose the higher the floor the better when it comes to noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I really appreciated the service at the Benson. It was super clean, it was well maintained, the staff were very friendly. I most appreciated the little touches ... like an umbrella in the room for Portland ;)

Great location for Trimet ... close to trains, streetcars and buses.

I can't recommend this enough.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a perfectly nice old hotel. Given the reasonable rate and the downtown location, I'd say it's a very good value. I didn't try the hotel restaurant, but there are plenty of options nearby (try the Portland City Grille on the 30th floor just a few blocks away). Room was on the small side, as was the bathroom, but I think that's to be expected in a "classic" older hotel. The only drawback (a fairly slight one) is that the windows aren't very soundproofed. Street noise (people, buses, crosswalk signals) easily reached the 5th floor.

2  Thank FlyGuy47

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and appreciated you taking the time to share your comments. We hope you will stay in touch with us on Facebook and Twitter, and we look forward to your next visit.