“Beautiful historic hotel”

Ranked #16 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington
“Beautiful historic hotel”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a one-night stay at the Benson Hotel. The lobby and facade of the hotel are both beautiful and really allow you to get a peek at the past historical details of the hotel. Surprisingly, it was quite busy the whole time we were there - there were always crowds in the lobby or checking in. We enjoyed our room - we had just a basic king room and it offered ample space for us for just one night. While I realize this is a historic hotel, I do think that the rooms could use a bit of freshening up - there were parts of the room that were a bit updated, while others just seemed unnecessarily outdated.

In terms of the location, I really can't think of anywhere more ideal than the Benson Hotel. It's just on the edge of Downtown and the Pearl District. These two neighborhoods are not that large, so it's completely reasonable to travel around the area by foot. We easily walked to some shops and restaurants in the Pearl District, as well as Voodoo Doughnuts and stores/restaurants in downtown. It's also pretty close to the river for a nice stroll.

My one and only complaint is that it was quite noisy - we stayed on the 5th floor and were surprised to have been woken up several times in the night due to noise on the streets.

One other note for families traveling with children - there is no pool/hot tub on site.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ron G, General Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Benson Hotel! We are pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and appreciated your comments about our location, lobby and historic elements. We apologize for any disturbance the noise surrounding our hotel caused. We hope to see you again in the future for another lovely stay at The Benson Hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked this hotel, for my parents, through travelportland.com. AMAZING VALUE. My parents have been before, but this time they were treated to a much larger corner suite, early check-in, later check-out, free breakfast, and free parking! I mentioned in my comments that it was for my mother's birthday, and she felt like a queen. Thank you Benson! As a side note: we stopped in the morning of check-in to warm-up from touring Portland on foot, and we enjoyed hot tea, coffee, and cocoa by the fire in the lobby. This hotel is celebrating their 100th anniversary this year, and the hotel is filled with old world charm. What a wonderful treat and treasure for the city of Portland! This hotel is within walking distance of shopping and restaurants. Very romantic place to stay for couples; classiness lost on younger children.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner suite
Vancouver
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I spent one night at the lovely Benson Hotel in Portland during. Road trip. Our room was spacious, large and quiet. We really enjoyed the room and the extremely accommodating staff. We will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor, lovely view and fairly quiet for a city hotel.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our visit to the Benson was our first visit. We had heard about its reputation and expected to arrive at a first class hotel but we had no idea that we were going to have probably the best hotel stay experience we ever had. We have stayed in lots of beautiful hotels before, even five star but we never experienced a more friendly and helpful staff. The history, the gorgeous Walnut walls and columns, the Italian Marble, the beautiful bar and excellent breakfast buffet for $15 and generous drinks served in the bar and the more than friendly staff really made our stay the best. We will make the Benson Hotel our first choice in Portland and give it the highest recommendation to our friends.

Dempster Boyd....Puyallup, WA

• Stayed February 2013
bellevue WA
Reviewed February 22, 2013

No question, The Benson has a long and glorious history. I first met her in 1975, just after arriving home from ten years in England and Europe, and felt immediately at home. Many stays over the decades have resulted in the same elegantly comfortable experience.

Indeed Lady Benson has aged a bit and could use a bit of tidying and refreshing in places;
though not badly so, no.

Noticed an arm chair in the lobby where the connecting joint had pulled away from the back, that sort of thing. Not serious, though. And yes, the Wi-Fi is a little sketchy; especially on the 11th floor where I was staying; perhaps a tad too far from the home base modem, I wonder?
Buy hey, folks, it's provided FREE, unlike some other hotels with the same issues, that charge anywhere from $15-$30 a day, depending on the city.

The room was clean and welcoming, and I adored the huge Panasonic TV! A comfortable chair by the window, with ottoman, was perfect to park with my laptop and catch up on communiques. The bathroom is smallish, though linens are immaculate and plentiful, as well as a quality array of soaps, lotions & potions.
There's a large rain-style shower head, which I found to be 'hollow' in the middle so that it was hard to rinse hair easily.
The bed was festooned in succulent sheets and ample pillows; manna of the gods to one who adores such. Talk about comfy nights!

Yes, people can be heard in the halls, and indeed can be quite thoughtless of others, though that is hardly the Benson's problem.
The same is true at home . . . loud kids, TVs blaring and teenagers revving the car in the drive are just as annoying, though we seldom think much about that?
Cities are predominantly noisy places, especially in a canyon-like downtown such as Portland, where traffic noise resonates between the buildings. Personally, I was more aware of the endless late night trains howling and wailing in the distance; not sure why there cannot be an in-city ordinance to preclude that, such as truck air horns are often banned from inner
city venues?

One of the joys of the rooms which front on Broadway is people watching, and the distant views toward the hills. However, if you need silence, there are other locales in this hotel; just ask for the quieter areas. The higher floors help that, though I suspect Wi-Fi weakens as the numbers go up~~

Room service excels. I was fighting a bad cold and was spoiled totally by the fast, friendly delivery from the kitchen and bar. A GREAT cosmopolitan really boosted lunch my 2nd day, and by the time of departure, El Gaucho and room service had made a new person out of me!

There is valet parking available, and every imaginable thing to do in Portland.
You cannot go wrong basing at The Benson . . .
which remains Portland's most charming and delightful downtown destination ~~!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ch00seyon3
Crossville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I am a frequent business traveler staying at a variety of hotels 4-5 times/week. I had to write as I am SHOCKED at the service I just received this morning. I was dining solo in the breakfast area, and was wrapping up my breakfast sipping coffee and reading the newspaper. I had already settled out my bill. The server came up and asked me to move out to the lobby area because of the breakfast wait. I hadn't been "lingering" or hanging out--I just finished a $15 breakfast and tipped the waiter $3. Funny how he asked me that AFTER he saw the check. Never experienced this--EVER. I had to get up and leave in front of other guests, who were not dining alone. Embarrassing as they heard the guy ask me to leave as if I was loitering!
Also, ate lunch there yesterday upon arrival and had a server who coughed constantly--a productive cough--in the dining area all the time. Gross. Wonder what sickness she had/has and how many utensils and plates/cups she coughed on. When your employees are coughing, don't let them be serving food. Unexpected with a property that prides itself on being a Portland historic gem.
I'll never stay here again nor recommend it to my colleagues--who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on travel and hotels annually.

Room Tip: Stay at a Hilton!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank blueroanvet
Ron G, General Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are very disappointed to read about your experience and sincerely apologize for the lack of service and hospitality you received. It is certainly not reflective of the level of service we expect from our employees and will be addressed immediately. We truly appreciated your review as it gives us the opportunity to improve. Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you again so we may have an opportunity to provide you a more enjoyable experience and regain your confidence in The Benson Hotel.
Bartonville, Illinois
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at the Benson during a work function, I do not believe it to be a good value for the money however. The front desk staff was helpful and the bellhop courteous, the bed was comfy, and the bathroom reasonably clean....however, this is where the good things end. First, the walls are extremely thin, so I heard every car, truck, siren, and noisy pedestrian on the street. Second, I was unfortunate enough to also have noisy neighbors across the hall who added to my discomfort with their rowdy behavior at 2am as 4 or 5 came in together loudly cursing and talking about obscene acts....unfortunately I could still hear them even after they were inside their room with the door closed. On top of the noise, my eyes started burning from the cannabis smoke issuing from the room. Third, although the bathroom was fairly clean, the tub had chunks gouged out and paint chips, there was some mildew in the tile, and the shower head had hard water build up. Add all of the previous with the fact that the Internet worked sporadically at best and was always too slow to even load email and you get one very dissatisfied business customer. I have stayed in Super 8's and Econo Lodges that I have found more to my liking than this place, as such, I cannot recommend this particular hotel, especially if you are a light sleeper or prefer dependable Internet access.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank J_S_2011_S_J
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Benson Hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by noise and rowdy activity, and wish our staff had been notified at the time of your stay so we could have addressed the situation immediately. It is always our hope that our guests are able enjoy a restful night’s sleep. So in those rare circumstances when there are disturbances, we try to react as quickly as possible to mitigate issues. We truly appreciated your comments and will address the housekeeping concerns as well as the Wi-Fi challenges you experienced. We hope to see you again in the future to show you a much more comfortable stay.