“An old beauty needs new vim”
Review of Benson Hotel

Benson Hotel
Ranked #17 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the Benson over Christmas. We weren't sure whether to use the valet parking but the attendant promised it was the best option and we would be able to retrieve our car very quickly with in and out access. Unfortunately, this proved to be inaccurate. Often, we were not able to reach the valet by phone and no one was at the station. We even waited for 20 minutes on one ocassion and finally had the parking costs removed from our bill due to their inability to retrieve our car in a timely manner.

We were on the 12th floor overlooking Broadway, which meant looking out onto the roofs of other buildings (not attractive), and there was a lot of road noise. In addition, the windows let in a lot of cold air even when closed. The room as dark even with all of the lights turned on. On the plus side, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the shower was wonderful-hot and awesome water pressure.

The gym was adequate, though one of the elliptical machines is completely broken and there is any floor space if you intend to do anything other than exercise on a machine or bench weights.

What surprised me the most was how noisy the people cleaning the rooms were--at 8am, when some people like to sleep in while they're on vacation. I snuck out to the gym at 7:30am and when I came back to my room, a cleaning person yelled "good morning" to me from down the hall. I understand she was trying to be friendly, but I felt badly for anyone who was trying to sleep in.

I also have to say that it's a bit tacky having breakfast in the bar at a hotel as grand as the Benson. I understand that they have a dining room that is used for Sunday brunch: why not everyday? And, because breakfast is in the bar, which is a small space, it's crowded. On Christmas morning, we waited for about 15 minutes to be seated. In fact, it was about 10 minutes before any staff even checked with us to see how many were in our party, etc.

On Christmas Eve, when the entire lobby and bar were full with people celebrating, there was ONE waiter serving everyone.

Overall, this hotel seemed to be under-staffed. Mostly, it seemed to be a shadow of its former glory.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dkFiona

Reviewed December 25, 2012

We would always go to the Benson for a first class gourmet meal. This year we decided to spend Christmas Day at the hotel & have Christmas dinner & spend the night. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! The food was not the first class quality it used to be & the folks sitting next to us who got married at the Benson years ago also confirmed what we were thinking. PLUS they no longer serve dinners in the London Grill room & now they are served in the bar...REALLLLY???

The Benson has lost their first class status (in my opinion). I know I won't be going back & neither will the folks sitting next to us...VERY SAD!!!!'

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank chadelm
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Came with another couple to experience the end of the world on 12-21-12! We wanted to do it in style. It is such a great place. Old world charm. We stayed in a jr. suite and loved the space and comfortable bed. Had a corner suite which was a bonus. We had breakfast in the Palm and thought it was very good.
It is starting to show some wear here and there, but I'm sure the owners won't let a fine asset like The Benson deteriorate.
We will return again.

Room Tip: They have some great packages. Make sure to look into them. Better value for sure.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We have stayed at the Benson Hotel several times over the years. It used to be my favorite four star hotel in downtown Portland. I still like it, but it has deteriorated a bit and is no longer in the top five. It still has a lot of positives attributes to bring us back, including the perfect location, competitive price, friendly and attentive staff and the elegant and cozy hotel lobby. On this most recent visit, our room had a strong electrical-type odor, so we asked to be moved to a different room. The only room available was on a low floor and was noisy the next morning with traffic noises and garbage collection. And, I noticed the cleanliness of the hallways, elevators and bathroom ceiling (mildew) was not what it has been. The continental breakfast buffet in the hotel lobby was okay, but we probably wouldn't choose that again. Overall, our experience with this stay at the Benson was good but not great.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ESNODs
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Nicely restored hotel, conveniently located downtown within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants and transit. Very comfortable and quiet rooms -- and the beds were incredibly comfortable! The lobby was comfortable and an elegant spot to wait for friends or to sip wine and enjoy the scenery.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Ron G, General Manager at Benson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Benson Hotel during your time in Portland. We are pleased to read you found our location convenient to local attractions and transit. Additionally, we are pleased that you enjoyed the quiet comfort of your guest room and bed. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Benson is a beautiful hotel that has the character and charm of an older building that is still elegant and well maintained. Everyone from the person that parked my car to the front desk, made you feel welcome – they genuinely cared.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stay at a lot of hotels in many countries. The Benson is one of the best. Beautifully appointed, outstanding service, reasonable prices. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. I can alwAys find something to complain about. Not here. Plus: my wife left her clutch purse in the lobby restrooms and didn't realize until we were at the airport. I called the front desk, they found the purse and had an employee drive out to the airport with it! Need I say more about the level of service?

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your loyalty to The Benson Hotel during your trips to Portland. We are very pleased to read your satisfaction with our service and staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon and appreciated your review!