“Wonderful backdrop to visit family”
Review of Benson Hotel

Benson Hotel
Ranked #17 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I usually stay in chain hotels, but for a few dollars more this was a delighful experience.
I had arrived prior to the usual 4pm check in time. The desk was flexible and said they would call me when a room was ready. The concierge relieved me of my bags so I could go to lunch. I stepped out to eat at Portlands iconic food carts. Soon the desk called with a room. The Benson is a great hub from which to explore Portland. Nice to be surrounded by elegance and an attentive staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I grew up in Portland, but never stayed at the Benson. Now, at age 65, I finally had the opportunity to stay there for the first time, and gladly took it! It was everything I had thought it would be for all those years. It is what a fine hotel should be. Elegant grace combined with a first rate staff, and you have the makings of a wonderful experience. The room was large, the bed, very comofrtable, and the small amenities, plentiful. Thank you, Benon, for a wonderful stay, and we will be back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We booked The Benson for one night of our 3 day mini-honeymoon to Portland. The staff was very friendly and the concierge upgraded our room for free upon finding out we had just recently gotten married. The room was clean and spacious. The location was perfect and was within walking/transit distance to everything we wanted to check out. It would have been nice to stay another day but we had booked another hotel on the other side of the river (my new sister-in-law works for Marriott). Upon check-out they held our bags until we could check in at our next destination. A great experience overall.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Very friendly and efficient staff. The room was nice and the bed comfortable. A nice surprise in the bathroom was full size shampoo and conditioner to use. The bed had lots of pillows and a fluffy comforter. They also provided a wonderful road and slippers.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I am spending a weekend at the Benson. I usually prefer W-type hotels to grand dames, but I am staying here with a group of colleagues. The lobby is old world elegant and inviting at the same time. I requested a very quiet room, and in my tenth floor room overlooking a wall I can hear my heart beat. The bed is VERY comfortable. I would prefer brighter lighting in the room, but that is my only complaint. Powells and VooDoo donuts are close by.

Room Tip: I believe that the rooms with the best views (this is Portland and you won't see anything anyway...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Soccer D
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I live in Eugene and my daughter lives in Seattle, so we decided to meet in PDX to do some shopping and visit. The Benson is in a great location if you are interested in being downtown. Powell's Bookstore is a couple blocks away, as well as some great places to eat. The service at The Benson was top-notch. The room was clean and comfortable. Parking is a nuisance;there is a lot just south of the hotel that was reasonable.

1  Thank Rip S
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This place was awesome. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Great place to stay. The hotel was within walking distance to everything one would like to seen in Portland. Great deal on breakfast and the food was as it should be. Delicious!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business