5 people are viewing this hotel
Zacharooni
San Jose

GROSSSSSSSS

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jan 30, 2008
This place is not a 4 star! We checked in and looked like they never swept the bathroom floor (hair and stuff all over). Gross stains on the walls, mildew in the bathroom, sheets thinner than saran wrap. Tempurpedic beds were comfortable and good location but that are the only positives from this rattrap. Tried to even change rooms, but the staff says they are all booked. We never saw one other person on our floor the entire stay and the lobby was empty! Stay someplace else....
Date of stay: January 2008
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2.0 of 5 bubblesValue
1.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
4.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
1.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
2.0 of 5 bubblesCheck in / front desk
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
2.0 of 5 bubblesBusiness service (e.g., internet access)
$101
0.4 miles from The Benson Portland, Curio Collection By Hilton
0.6 miles from The Benson Portland, Curio Collection By Hilton
View more hotels in Portland
3,985 results
All reviews the palm court classic hotel beautiful historic hotel beautiful lobby junior suite old school lobby bar within walking distance the pearl wine tasting street noise valet parking powell's books pioneer square bed was very comfortable corner room voodoo donuts
Selected filters
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Nice lobby but it ends there. Old tired rooms and very noisy. Avoid this hotel!

Date of stay: December 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank Dan P
Reviewed December 31, 2007

Our group stayed at the "Grand Hotel" for Davis Cup. Rooms where dirty and anciently decored. Food was cold, took forever 45 min. to an hour for sandwiches, and when we asked to speak to management no one could locate them. We expected a 4 star experience and left wishing we had stayed home. We will not recommend this Hotel to anyone. We will never return.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank forddrivers07
Reviewed December 25, 2007

The hotel was immaculately clean and very hospitable. We got a very reasonable rate using Priceline and by calling ahead, it was no trouble to upgrade our single-bed room to 2 beds for an additional $25. The room itself was spacious, clean, and warm in the soggy winter weather. It's clear that rooms at the rear of the hotel overlook a "courtyard" filled with mechanical equipment, but we didn't expect an optimal room with the rate we got so it was fine, a bit noisy but not enough so to keep us awake. Although we found it was near the service elevator, the staff were careful to be quiet.

We were there to attend a game at the Rose Garden, so we had appetizers and drinks beforehand and didn't return to the hotel until fairly late. We found that late-night dinner was not only available in both the lobby bar (where there was live jazz) and adjacent El Gaucho, we were astonished to find many people having a large dinner at 11pm! (Perhaps this was reflective of the holiday season.) The beautiful lobby space was rented for a private event which made it a little crowded in the evening, but everyone seemed to go with the spirit of the occasion. Earlier in the evening, there was a free wine tasting in the lower-level wine cellar.

When the fire alarm was set off, reportedly by steam from the laundry, at 7:30am there was a PA announcement to stay put until they checked it out and an update that the alarm was cleared, rather than making everyone in the hotel traipse out into the heavy rain in their PJs. When we did go out into the rain later to shop, we were loaned courtesy umbrellas. I also noticed the doorman tells people "Welcome back" as they return to the hotel. He probably gets tired of saying this hundreds of times a day, but it's a nice, welcoming touch.

Date of stay: December 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2007

I originally booked this reservation on Priceline and after reading several reviews I got a little worried about what room my husband and I might end up with. So, I did contact the hotel and explained the situation. Fortunately, I was able to change this reservation by upgrading and was upgraded to a junior suite on the 8th floor. This room was beautiful and very spacious with a nice view of the city. Yes, I will agree that the bathrooms are small, however this hotel was built in the early 1900's and to me that is part of it's charm. We had excellent service and the lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas. We hope to return to Portland and will again book the Benson, just not on Priceline. (lesson learned).

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank mauisun
Reviewed November 27, 2007

I am originally from Portland and I visit the city a few times a year. I always stay in the downtown area because I love the close proximity to shopping and restaurants. I usually stay at the Hotel Monaco (5th Avenue Suites), but decided to try for a "deal" through Priceline. I requested a 4-star hotel in downtown and was booked at the Benson for $112/night (a decent price for downtown Portland). I have stayed at the Benson before and knew that the rooms were small and a bit tired; which is OK with me because all the public spaces are large and attractive. Unfortunately, the hotel's infrastructure has major problems. I stayed for 2 nights. The first morning there was no hot water at 7:00 am, so I went to my meeting without a shower. According to the hotel staff, the hot water system's pump broke. I was able to take a shower when I returned to the hotel at noon. The next morning I turned on the shower at 6:45 am and again no hot water. I called the front desk and they told me that I was the first to complain about the hot water. I dressed, went to the front desk, and was again told that I was the first to complain (although I could hear the other front desk person telling other customers the same thing). I checked out of the hotel and went to a local gym for a shower.

Since I prepaid for the hotel through Priceline, I wasn't able to get a refund, but the hotel did comp my parking and the dinner I had charged to the room (about $100).

One other thing - the lobby furnace doesn't work very well anymore and everyone had to wear their coats in the lobby bar.

Next time I'll skip Priceline and return to the Hotel Monaco.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SouthBay