“We shall return!”

Ranked #16 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Modesto, California
“We shall return!”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The Benson Hotel is a lovely, elegant, comfortable hotel in an excellent location of Downtown Portland. The rooms were so beautiful. Decorated lovely! The hotel was spotless. The hotel was very classy. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and spent the weekend at the Benson. Had a junior suite which was very spacious and gorgeous. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The concierge made some excellent recommendations for restaurants. The Benson was three short blocks to Pioneer Square and not too far from the Pearl District.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Very nice old school hotel feel in the lobby and lounge area. The rooms are a bit small and furniture and fixtures are a little dated, but not worn or dirty. I would stay here again. Great downtown location.

McMinnville, Oregon
Reviewed July 19, 2011

The rooms are comfortable and quiet. Location is great. Right in the heart of downtown. Restaurant is beautiful and the food is excellent. Very easy to get a cab if needed.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I reserved this trip through a reservation site that only shows the properties after you book. I wonder if the fact that I used a reservation service that offered a great room deal influenced the quality of the room I was given. I specified a "4 star and above" and was excited when I learned that my reservation was at what was supposed to be a really nice hotel.

Instead of a king bed as requested, I received two queens in a very outdated, dimly lit, sparsely furnished room that smelled of mold. The door had gauges in it, the hangers in the closet were torn (the fabric hangers), there was no hallway light, and the outside noise was loud - the TV couldn't cover it. The hallway to the room looked like a hallway from a run down apartment building - dingy, run down and poorly lit.

I arrived after a long day and called room service to order dinner. There was no answer, and eventually, the hotel operator picked up the phone. She advised me that she'd have Room Service call me back - and what seemed to be the lone Room Service employee (?) indeed did call me back. When the food arrived, there was not even a glass of water served with the tray. The plate of food (steak sandwich and salad) was OK, nothing special. I also ordered a "Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail". What I received was a cup of salad shrimp that smelled fishy and were mushy (for the bargain price of $15). I did not eat any of it. I do hope the staff checks the trays that are set outside the rooms...

Oh! One plus: they offer free in-room wifi.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank mmirandm
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We had a loverly 3 night stay at the Benson. The live jazz in the lobby lounge added to the very enjoyable atmosphere. Our room was a nice size, very comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. The location was great and we walked nearly everywhere we wanted to go. Watch for the monthly fixed price special in the restaurant - we had an excellent meal at a very reasonable price.

USA
Reviewed July 15, 2011

A group of us girls got 2 adjoining rooms for a girls night out on the town. The Benson was in a central location to the places we wanted to go to. And the doorman was very helpful with our bags and made sure we all had umbrellas when we headed out for the night. The room was very clean and had everything we needed. It was the perfect place to stay for a night out on the town.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Tinley Park, Illinois
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We got the Benson for $100/nt for 2 nights on Priceline. After reading reviews, I was a little sad we didn't get a "better" hotel. But, after staying at the Benson, I was happy with our win.

Pros:
Location - it was close to everything we wanted to see/do
The staff - everyone we interacted with was pleasant and very helpful
The lobby - gorgeous
Wifi - FREE!
The Tempur-pedic beds - we didn't know if we were going to like them or not, but we ended up loving the bed.

Cons:
The rooms - could use some updating and I would LOVE if every hotel bathroom had a fan.
The hallway - smelled a little musty, but no smell in the room
Noise - heard some street noise, but it quieted down early so it didn't bother BUT we could hear everything that went on in the hallway. I was woken at 3 am by some slamming doors (so loud that it sounded like our door!) so that sucked.

Overall, the Benson is a solid choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jwolfgirl