“Great breakfast spot”

Ranked #46 of 4,473 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Petite Provence Bakery and Restaurant caught my eye on Yelp when looking for a breakfast spot. They have four locations in Portland including the airport, but I chose the Alberta St location.I had read the reviews on Yelp for the best breakfast place in town and even though Petite Provence was rated #5 on the list I had a feeling it was the best for what I was looking for. I wanted a place that had extraordinary food with a local flair and found it here. Many reviewers raved about the salmon hash, a dish I would probably like, but I had just cooked up some of my Alaska salmon the day before and wasn’t craving it. What caught my eye was the Risotto Cakes with home fried potatoes and butternut squash. Here’s the description from their menu:
Risotto Cakes & Eggs*
Slow simmered risotto rice with sautéed bacon, asparagus, mushrooms, red onions, and fresh basil, gently formed into patties, lightly breaded and grilled to perfection. Topped with two poached eggs.
Served with Provençal Potatoes & Butternut Squash. 8.95
This was one yummy breakfast meal, and even though I didn’t have the eggs it was plenty for me since I ordered a croissant on the side. The risotto cakes were cooked perfectly and the red onions carried a slight taste of red wine. It was one of the best breakfast meals I have had anywhere in the US! The croissant was as good as most I have had in Paris which is rare indeed. It was flakey, fresh, buttery, and served with a little bit of raspberry jam. The other bakery goods there looked great, but I resisted the urge to buy and bite as I had miles to go yet.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

we returned here with 2 friends, and began with a session lager, an ameretto sour, and 2 shared a bordeaux from france. next we shared escargot, a cheese plate, steelhead, roughy dish, tuna nicoise, quinoa with asparagus....all were delicious...our friends had french onion soup, veggie white bean soup, cornish game hen, beef medallions, and beet salad....they loved their dishes...for dessert, they had chocolate trio, and a monkey love....another dessert was ordered, don't recall which one....excellent staff, efficient, and friendly....

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Excellent waitress (also the barista) and excellent food!!!
We came in for brunch. Both dishes were fabulous! My sister got the Rissoto Cakes and Eggs and I got the Eggs Provencal. Add a side of avocado for both and wow! Plus, my mocha was delicious and my sister said her latte was the best she's ever had- better than starbucks!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

On a rainy morning in Portland this is a great place to nestle into. Lived in France and loved the food so was pleased to find this place. Don't know how French my breakfast was, but it was awesome!!...poached eggs on polenta cakes with a roasted tomato sauce. There were lots of great choices and had a hard time making up my mind. All four of us were very pleased with our meals and the pastries were wonderful and again impossible to decide on just one!!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

On a rainy afternoon, nothing sounds better than a late lunch with a bowl of exceptional Onion Soup with French bread for dipping. The tuna sandwich was great with fresh fruit. We followed our pleasant lunch with two sweet treats, one was a chocolate with delicate lemon flavor and I chose an old favorite, a cream puff swan. Oops, I quickly found the swan pastry puff was not as fresh as I expected. It might have been a cream puff thawed with great whipped cream added before it was put in the pastry case, but it was more like a bread than a puff when I ate it.. If you have one, and you will love it, ask if it has been made that day, and avoid getting one that has been thawed.

1  Thank JanieandWes