“cozy with some quirks”

Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station
Ranked #50 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was my first Aloft hotel. I liked the aesthetics of the common areas and the rooms. And I found the bed to be the most comfortable I've ever encountered at a hotel. I did not like the nearly see-through pane that separates the shower from the sleeping area. And I also found it strange that food was not fully available at 6 a.m. -- this is an airport hotel, after all. Still, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ieateverything
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your review ieateverthing!

We are so glad you liked our vibe and our comfy beds. We do have food available 24 hours at Re: fuel, including continental breakfast...muffins, bagels, cereal, yogurt and more. On weekdays hot food, like breakfast sandwiches, omelets, burritos are available to order from 6am - 10am, and on the weekend from 7am - 11am. We're sorry they weren't open at a time convenient to you.

Thanks so much for staying with us and hopefully we get to have you with us again soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The front desk check-in, Emily, was great! She gave me a rundown on the facility. This was the only good part of the stay.

1) went to print Boarding Pass and found there was no printer. Found there was one at the front desk, odd in itself. So, printed the Boarding Pass and went to the front desk, where 5 people were checking in (only 2 staff to check them all in). Now I had just spoken to the staff (I believe her name was Crystal, but could be wrong) and she knew I was going to print, so I just stood there. Nothing, so, I waited in the long line to get my printout, that was there on the printer. All very odd. Put a printer by the business office computers!!!

2The bathroom had a quarter roll of toilet paper remaining and no additional roll in the room.

3) The bed was hard

4) I hate A/Cs where the compressor kicks off and the fan doesn't run. Eventually the A/C never came back on. Fortunately I played background sound on my iPhone.

5) there was a musician in the bar area, which is the main lobby and it was too loud that you couldn't hear yourself think. No way to relax or get any work done, so, went back to my room.

6) check-out went well with an eFolio bill sent to my E-Mail.

In conclusion, if you have business and require ready printouts, forget it. Check-in takes a long time and not enough staff to handle any volume at one time. Noisy lobby.

Next stay will be at a different hotel for sure.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank scpirvine
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you so much for writing us a review! Customer feedback is the greatest gift we can receive.

I want to apologize personally for not getting your print out to you as quickly as you would have liked. It sounds as though we were busy at the desk so this must have delayed us. We do our best to check in our guests as quickly and efficiently as possible and we are sorry you had to wait.

I have spoken to our Operations Manager in regard to the toilet paper and she has followed up with her team. If you have time it would be great if you could give me a call so I can get your room number and we can follow-up with maintenance in regard to your AC unit.

We do have live music on Friday and Saturday nights in our lounge. I apologize if it was too loud for you. You mentioned wanting to stay at a different property when you return to Portland, and it seems to me that you may be happier at a more traditional property, like our sister property, the Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel. They have a separate business center with printers near the computer and do not have live music. They have a great team over there so definitely give them a call.

Thanks so much for staying with us.

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here many times for business since its opening. Convenient, great housekeeping etc but theres always something goofy with the staff. This time I went to front desk to borrow a corkscrew. I was told there were none in the hotel. I suggested maybe they could look behind the BAR and was told with a straight face that the bartender had one but it was his personal property and he carried it with him at all times (i am not making this up) since the bar did not open for 2 more hrs we were out of luck. Doesn't seem like that big an investment for a Starwood property but what do i know? Should've bought a screwtop:)

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank KJDbiz1

Hello! Thank you so much for your review. I want to apologize for not having a corkscrew available. We sorry for the oversight, but we do now have them on hand now. We are so glad you like our hotel and hope you have a chance to stay with us again soon.

Thank you for staying with us and have a beautiful day!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is in a great location for visiting Portland....the light rail is just down the block. There is ample shopping, including IKEA within walking distance. IHOP is open 24 hours for early AM departures. The lobby bar is a fun place to grab a bite and enjoy a beverage. It's also fun to watch the airplanes land from your room.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review Julie! We are so glad you enjoyed our bar and location and hope that you can stay again soon!

Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night and while hotel stay was pleasant enough, Marriott Residence nearby was just as great or even better. I left a personal item in the room and followed up right away with an email the same evening, turns out only 1 e mail address contact I found online was outdated and and hotel strangely had no other email address for general contact info on their website. For a W hotel and hotel that wants to leave an impression as a classy business hotel, this is not up to par with other W or SPG hotels. Then I called long distance to request a search and update on the item but I did not even receive a return email or phone call from the lady Crystal whom I talked to twice. Request is simple to inquire with Housekeeping, yet again no reply to my e mail to her given e mail address. Manager needs to better train front desk staff to be courteous enough to reply to requests as agreed. They say they keep items for 3 months, yet within a day, the item was gone. The worst was the lack of responsiveness from the front desk staff. Would pick Marriott or Hyatt next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: You may want a bigger room as standard room due to design made me feel like I was in a box.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Michelle W, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Truly2013,

As communicated through our private emails - I am very sorry that this breakdown in communication occured. Crystal had relayed the message about your goggles on Tuesday night and we had done a search for the missing item on Wednesday morning but failed to contact you with that information. I feel that we resolved this through our emails but once again I apologize for the lapse in communication on our part. We strive to provide excellent customer service and we clearly did not in this situation.

You have my email, and number, so if you need further assistance please contact me.

Michelle
Director of Operations

Reviewed September 24, 2013

A group of us stayed here over the long weekend and we still able to get ours rooms at a very reasonable rate. The rooms were very comfy and spacious. Really good location especially if you are looking for a place near the airport. The hotel provided complimentary internet in our rooms which is nice in comparison to many hotels that only provide complementary internet in the lobby. The hotel is not located too far from downtown Portland and Cascade station is right outside the hotel.

There is a small pool and gym in the hotel. The pool is not very big but it was enough for the kids in our group to have fun in. Many of the adults in our group where happy enough playing on one of the 2 pool tables they have next to the bar.

Parking was free during our stay. We were extremely happy about that as we had more than one vehicle and those extra costs can really add up. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are wanting to stay in Portland.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Hello Rup00!

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and are happy you got to take advantage of many of our amenities, like the pool, reee wi-fi and pool.

We hope to have you with us again soon!

Sincerly,

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Aloft brand of the Starwood properties (actually the offspring of the W Hotels- bargain version)won me over after my first stay in Tempe, AZ location.
So this is part Aloft review and part Aloft Cascade Station.
Now I've been in about 20 of the Aloft Hotels including flagship in Dallas (which is the only I've seen yet that is in a historic building vs. the fairly standard architecture which verges on boring but not quite).
What I have come to like is what I'd usually find to be a negative attribute-every Aloft is almost the same. And what I mean by almost is really more exactly, with some variations regarding amenities such as pools, but all have special features only slightly different from the next. But somehow this formula works for me.
From the checkin desk there is a nice bar with live music a regular feature, computer terminals for use, and what amounts to a small grocery store with items perfect for preparing in your room (at better than 7-11 prices) which comes equipped with an empty fridge and microwave.
After staying in all types of fancy places it's nice not to get nickel and dimed to death!
Internet is free and pretty fast too.
The PDX location is exactly as I described with the absolute certainty of the room layout.
But it's very smart-right down to the smallest detail and that type of predictability I'll take over pricier brands any day. Every detail was considered, with a great workspace, comfy beds (two queens or a king), bathroom area separated by a large wall/headboard with tons of smart storage without one drawer. Two windows on each side of a large screen, wall mounted TV with a padded bench underneath from the edges of the symmetrical desks/tables which are facing windows.
PDX is unique in that you can spend the night before a flight or use it as a city hotel alternative, as MAX's Cascade Station is literally outside your door and whisks you downtown in 20' or so.
Also, being Portland and all they have a walkable neighborhood they've created and you can walk to Target, IKEA, Best Buy and many smaller eateries and retail establishments.
In my opinion, it all just works.
Way to go SPG, Aloft, and PDX!

Room Tip: Make a reservation and decide one bed or two. THAT IS IT! One side faces runway and train tracks (so...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Timo M

Thank you so much for your review Timo57! It sounds like you like our vibe and "smart" design! The Park & Jet package is definitely a great deal with the ten days of parking included when you reserve the package.

We hope that you get a chance to come back and stay with us on your next visit to PDX! Thank you so much for staying with us!