“Great Value”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Value”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

A group of us stayed here over the long weekend and we still able to get ours rooms at a very reasonable rate. The rooms were very comfy and spacious. Really good location especially if you are looking for a place near the airport. The hotel provided complimentary internet in our rooms which is nice in comparison to many hotels that only provide complementary internet in the lobby. The hotel is not located too far from downtown Portland and Cascade station is right outside the hotel.

There is a small pool and gym in the hotel. The pool is not very big but it was enough for the kids in our group to have fun in. Many of the adults in our group where happy enough playing on one of the 2 pool tables they have next to the bar.

Parking was free during our stay. We were extremely happy about that as we had more than one vehicle and those extra costs can really add up. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are wanting to stay in Portland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Hello Rup00!

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and are happy you got to take advantage of many of our amenities, like the pool, reee wi-fi and pool.

We hope to have you with us again soon!

Sincerly,

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Aloft brand of the Starwood properties (actually the offspring of the W Hotels- bargain version)won me over after my first stay in Tempe, AZ location.
So this is part Aloft review and part Aloft Cascade Station.
Now I've been in about 20 of the Aloft Hotels including flagship in Dallas (which is the only I've seen yet that is in a historic building vs. the fairly standard architecture which verges on boring but not quite).
What I have come to like is what I'd usually find to be a negative attribute-every Aloft is almost the same. And what I mean by almost is really more exactly, with some variations regarding amenities such as pools, but all have special features only slightly different from the next. But somehow this formula works for me.
From the checkin desk there is a nice bar with live music a regular feature, computer terminals for use, and what amounts to a small grocery store with items perfect for preparing in your room (at better than 7-11 prices) which comes equipped with an empty fridge and microwave.
After staying in all types of fancy places it's nice not to get nickel and dimed to death!
Internet is free and pretty fast too.
The PDX location is exactly as I described with the absolute certainty of the room layout.
But it's very smart-right down to the smallest detail and that type of predictability I'll take over pricier brands any day. Every detail was considered, with a great workspace, comfy beds (two queens or a king), bathroom area separated by a large wall/headboard with tons of smart storage without one drawer. Two windows on each side of a large screen, wall mounted TV with a padded bench underneath from the edges of the symmetrical desks/tables which are facing windows.
PDX is unique in that you can spend the night before a flight or use it as a city hotel alternative, as MAX's Cascade Station is literally outside your door and whisks you downtown in 20' or so.
Also, being Portland and all they have a walkable neighborhood they've created and you can walk to Target, IKEA, Best Buy and many smaller eateries and retail establishments.
In my opinion, it all just works.
Way to go SPG, Aloft, and PDX!

Room Tip: Make a reservation and decide one bed or two. THAT IS IT! One side faces runway and train tracks (so...
Green Features: Very green from ground up. Points for choosing Going Green, where you don't get daily sheet changes or new towels unless requested.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Timo M
Thank you so much for your review Timo57! It sounds like you like our vibe and "smart" design! The Park & Jet package is definitely a great deal with the ten days of parking included when you reserve the package.

We hope that you get a chance to come back and stay with us on your next visit to PDX! Thank you so much for staying with us!

Sonoma County
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My friends thought it was weird that I was staying at the airport on my road trip through the Pacific Northwest. But the price and the convenience of self-parking lured me to this spot, and I'm very happy I did it! Our first night was incredibly loud from the planes flying over -- to the point of interrupting our sleep. Our second night we stayed on the side facing the shopping center and it was much quieter. The staff was very accommodating when we asked about switching rooms. Our initial reason for moving was because we didn't like the beds in the first room. We had an ADA accessible room with low beds which were very uncomfortable -- I woke up with a backache. When we asked if the mattresses were different in the standard rooms, the friendly desk clerk offered to show us a room and help us move our luggage if we wanted to switch. We did switch and the mattresses were much firmer (and the shower much more pleasant). The room happened to be on the other side of the hotel, and the lack of noise was a bonus we didn't expect.

Both rooms were clean and included handy features such as a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and safe. The ADA room had a lower "closet" and a huge roll-in shower with a fold-down bench. The undulating floor in the shower/toilet area was actually difficult to walk on for a person with no mobility problems at all -- not sure how this works for someone with problems. The shower in the standard room was lighter and felt cleaner because it had a glass door rather than a shower curtain. I've posted pictures of both bathrooms.

We paid $122.55 for 2 double beds with free parking and free internet. We booked it about 2 months ahead, so maybe that's why we were able to get a good discount. At this price, I was thrilled with the room. We had plenty of space to set up 2 suitcases. There was ample counter space in the bathroom, although a towel bar next to the sink would have been helpful. I've seen negative comments about the furniture arrangement and it does seem odd to place an upholstered bench under the tv. It didn't bother us because we watched tv in the evening from our beds. There was also a desk chair in the room. Actually I found the bench handy for our smaller pieces of luggage.

This location works well if you have a car and are planning side trips around Portland. We didn't go downtown, but if we had we probably would have used the nearby train. We ate breakfast both mornings at the Starbucks just down the street. The hotel sells a wide variety of breakfast and lunch items in a self-serve area of the lobby. This looked like a good option, but we didn't need it.

I had trouble deciding on the rating -- I would have given 3.5 if possible. This isn't luxury, but it's clean and functional and a bargain. I'll stay here again, as long as I can get a room on the quiet side.

Room Tip: Rooms facing shopping center are much quieter.
1 Thank aprilwalkr
Thank you so much for your very detailed review. We are so glad we were able to accommodate your room move and that you enjoyed your new room so much. When you make a reservation with us in the future please give us a call and we would be happy to add notes to your reservation so that we get you on the side of the hotel that you like the best.

Thanks for staying with us and I hope you have a beautiful day!

Washougal, Washington
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We booked this room online because it was so reasonable, and it was way nicer than we expected! Love the minimal modern décor, and the well thought out design. The bed was super comfy, and the shower was amazing! Great location right across from Cascade Station and near the airport. We will recommend this place to our friends for sure!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Spent 3 nights at the hotel in August and mostly loved it. My 9-year-old son says it is his favorite ever--I think he liked the funky decor (it really is cool) and the overall modern feel of the hotel. The service was what I would expect...nobody went out of their way to exceed expectations but that is okay, all staff were friendly enough. The room was clean and well decorated. The use of space in the room is excellent but if you expect a real closet, forget it. I personally liked that space wasn't wasted to create a closet and the creative use of wall space for hanging and stacking clothing. it totally worked for me. My only complaint about the room was that sleeping was as comfortable as I would like. The bed was fine but the cooler is on the wall and blew directly on our faces throughout the night. It was too warm to turn the cooler off so I just had to live with the breeze. I would probably stay there again.

1 Thank Tamsnow22
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review TamSnow22. We are so glad you and your son enjoyed our vibe! I'm sorry that you had issues with your cooler though. Was it something our maintenance team could have taken a look at and fixed for you? Next time your with us if you have any issues at all don't hesitate to contact the front desk and we will send someone up to assist.

Thanks so much for staying with us!

Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Having stayed at Alofts before I did not hesitate to stay here. There are numerous eateries and shopping centers within walking distance to include an Ihop right next door. The hotel is located next to the local rail as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thanks for your review! We are so glad you liked our location. It's so convenient to be near restaurants and close to the MAX line so getting downtown is a snap!

Hope you get a chance to stay again soon!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Booked room last minute. Room was ready that afternoon and came with two free cocktails.

Rooms- hip. Clean. Everything you need. Bliss products!

Location- amazing. 10 minute ride to airport via train.

Service-top notch. Enjoyed the front desk assistance. And bar was fun. Entertainment and happy bar tenders.

Close to outlet mall and restaurants.

Elevator has cool floors. :)

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you so much for your review BrantleyC! I love those Bliss products too! Their scent is so nice! We are happy you had a perfect stay and we hope we can have you back again soon!