“Really Liked It!!”

Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station
Ranked #46 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I recently stayed at Aloft for a week. I loved they vibe they had going on there. I was there for business. The location was great for me. Plenty of places to eat. It also had the train right there for easy travel. The one and only complaint I had with this hotel was the lack of cell phone service. Don't know why it is, but everyone I talked to that was staying there, including the staff said the same thing. Other than that, I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank slarocca02
Crystal S, Manager at Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your review! We apologize for the difficulties with your cell phone service. Some cell phone carriers are better than others at our property. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and got to take advantage of our great location!

Please come back again and stay soon!

There are newer reviews for Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Football fans will appreciate this analogy. The hotel left me with the same feeling as watching my beloved football team drive 85 yards, throw away three opportunities for a touchdown, and then miss a chip shot field goal. The hotel left me feeling deflated.

At seemingly every turn, the hotel showed how it could rank among the elite mid-tier hotels. And then, just when you’ve had a glimpse, the hotel shows why it is sub-par. Let’s start with the check-in. I arrived shortly after midnight, exasperated after a delayed flight. I approached the welcome stand, and the front desk attendant already had one foot out the door. I liken her sense of hospitality to what I would encounter if I had appeared at her doorstep. At 2am. She uttered about seven words – “credit card, please” and “room down the hall”. After taking a wrong turn – surprise, surprise with such explicit directions – I landed in my first floor room.

Let me state unequivocally that I abhor first-floor rooms. This one confirmed my worst fears. I heard luggage carts, boisterous kids, the air conditioning unit, the light rail, the gardening crew, and airplanes – all before 8am. What bothered me was that I had specifically requested a high floor room. Not only did the hotel fail to honor the request, the front desk attendant failed to even acknowledge the request.

The rude awakening inspired me to turn on the flat screen TV. It is centrally mounted in front of the bed – an ideal spot. Unfortunately, multiple channels were hazy. Why is it always the channels that you want to watch? Murphy’s Law strikes again. I crossed television off the list and decided to pursue a more active endeavor. I entered the hotel gym and was quite pleased with the modern equipment. I am a runner and was thrilled that the treadmills faced a window. Unfortunately, the fitness center doubled as a sauna. Suffice to say, it was warm.

After completing a run, I decided to explore the hotel surroundings. I passed by the front desk, and neither attendant acknowledged my presence. In fact, one was intently counting bills. I then discovered the hotel garden which was one of the finest botanical collections I’ve seen in some time. There were several gardeners attending to the grounds. I returned to the lobby and passed by the front desk again. Another fumble. One of the associates looked up only to return to what I can imagine was a highly competitive solitaire game. I couldn’t help but think that if the hotel applied this same level of attention to guests as the botanical garden, it would be exceptional experience.

The room itself revealed the hotel’s potential. The flagship component was the glass shower with turquoise tiles. The shower felt more reminiscent of a luxury hotel than a mid-grade option. The other highlights are two, distinct work stations which face two, large windows. There is also a bench directly under the TV. The placement is not particularly conducive to reading (no lamps nearby) or watching TV (directly overhead), so it seemed to be more an afterthought than intentional relaxation space. I use the word “potential” because even the room left some to be desired. The bedside lighting controls were not working, and I found a long hair in the bed.

In summary, disappointment does not begin to describe my stay at the Aloft Hotel. The only aspect that met my expectation was that the bill was correct. This also reminded me that the rate was $50 lower than the Residence Inn or Hyatt Place. While I would rarely endorse paying $50 more per night for another mid-tier option, this is the exception. This hotel leaves me with the same feeling as watching my alma mater march 85 yards and come up with zero points. That, my friends, is the tired feeling of defeat.

Pros: Glass shower, lower rate versus comparable properties, beautiful botanical garden

Cons: Impersonal front desk staff, fitness center temperature was set for a sauna, a few non-working components in the room, first floor room was hub of activity and noise

Room Tip: First floor is hub of activity - and noise. A higher floor room would offer greater solitude
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank scl44

Thank you so much for your detailed review. We are sorry that your stay wasn't as you had hoped. Did you get a chance to report the issues with the Manager on Duty? We do our best to make sure all of our guests are happy with their stay and would have done our best to make it so. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel fee to contact me at your convenience.

503-935-5660

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights with our two kids while sightseeing in Portland. The location was perfect because it is half way between both the Columbia River Gorge attractions and downtown Portland. It is also across the street from a shopping center with restaurants and retail stores. With kids, this was an ideal location. It kept us out of the busier downtown but gave us a classier, upscale feel of a downtown hotel. The fridge, microwave and pool made traveling with kids easier as well! Kayla, at the front desk was very welcoming!

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad you and your family enjoyed your visit to Portland! Kayla was tickeled to hear she was able to help make your stay a good one. We hope you get a chance to visit again soon!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great pantry if you arrive late or wake up early. Modern, healthy snacks.

Super fun bar scene. Good for working in lobby after the day is done.

Helpful service. Told me about local trail for running.

Cute rooms. AC works great. Nice desk working space.

Up-to-date gym.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thanks so much for your review! Hope you got a chance to listen to some of our live music! Come back and visit soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the aloft hotel in Portland. We stayed for one night prior to a flight out. The hotel has a very European feel which we like. The room was spacious and well configured. The service was friendly and excellent. The only down side was some noise to to air traffic which is to be expected from an airport hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for the review, Mike! We love to provide excellent costumer service! Just pop on by and let the front desk team know that you are a light sleeper and we would be happy to provide you with some complimentary ear plugs to help you rest easy.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice this year - once in January and once in March. The January points for Make a Green Choice posted 6+ weeks after the stay. Many SPG hotels have the points post with the stay.

The March points never posted. 2 e-mails later and promise of 5-10 days, the points were still not posted. SPG said they asked the hotel to do it but someone dropped the ball somewhere.

Finally, I asked SPG to just forget the hotel and give me the points. They did.

I generally do not have my room serviced anyway. Still, if a hotel offers this option, then the points should be honored timely.

I am posting the original rating.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for your review! We are sorry that your green points were not posted in a timely manner. Please feel free to call and ask for me at the hotel and I will be happy to research this for you and make sure that all of your points have been posted. We have recently implemented a new Make a Green Choice procedure that will give our guests a much faster turn around in reward redemption, so we believe you will be happy when you return to stay with us.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

503-935-5660

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Clean and near the airport, Aloft does not seem weird enough to belong to Portland. The metro station, located adjacent to the parking lot, made it convenient to go downtown for dinner and a walk. Shopping and Starbucks was located across the street, although it was an anywhere USA generic strip mall. I liked the convenience and safety of the hotel. Also, I got a special rate for my Portlandia dvds, beer glasses, and guide book. I dig the lounge and live music in the lobby. Overall, a great stay. I stayed here twice and would return again. Put a bird on that!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Put a bird on it, indeed! Did you know "Portlandia" has been filmed at the property several times! We are thrilled that you had a great stay and hope you can come back soon!