“Contempo, fab & a great value”

Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station
Ranked #45 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Honolulu
“Contempo, fab & a great value”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife, two teenaged sons and I rented a room here in October 2012 for four nights while visiting college campuses in Portland. It had been on my radar during the planning phase of the trip, mostly in part to the many positive reviews on Tripadvisor. While shopping on a discount-hotel website that does not give the name of the property until you commit, I was offered $70/night for a property that sounded a lot like the Aloft; it turned out that it was indeed the very hotel.

There really is not much I could add that others have: the hotel is convenient to the airport and rail line, very clean, modern, friendly with a young (energetic), helpful staff, and has lots of free parking; the room was well-appointed and spacious, beds very comfortable; the property had a clean and well-equipped workout room, and a funky lobby/snack bar area. And if you wanted to go "green" and forgo having the room cleaned for a day, you would get a $5.00 coupon to use in the snack bar. Cool.

Since there are no restaurants or shops on property, the shopping complex adjacent to the hotel was a bonus. While we did not have time to do a lot of browsing, we did have a couple of good meals there and stopped by the Ross' Store. The restaurants in the complex included, among others, IHOP, Panda Express, Red Robin, Buffalo Wild Wings.

With all that said, the best thing about the property was its location. After arriving at the airport and retrieving our baggage we were at the hotel via the Sheraton hotels shuttle in minutes. We did not have a car the first two days so we ventured into town on the rail service where a stop was not more than a hundred yards away from the property. On our third day at the hotel, we took the airport shuttle to pick up a car for a couple of days and had a memorable trip through the Columbia Gorge and up to Mount Hood. Not a cloud in the sky!!

Our next destination was Seattle via Amtrak, so we just loaded up our baggage onto the rail that took us to the train Station after just one connection. It was a lot easier than I imagined it would be.

We would definitely stay at this property again, even if we paid the regular rates, which I believe is still a good value at like $120-$140 a night. That's certainly less than most decent places in downtown Portland.

If you've stayed at a W hotel and liked it, then you will also like this place. Same hotel chain overall, but more affordable and not as pretentious as the more well-known brand. If you don't like funky and sleek and modern, or dim lights and clean open spaces, then this might not be for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Radmen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Aloft is the budget line of the W Hotels, and this is my first stay at one of their locations. Assertively mod and stylish, in sophisticated greys and woods accented by pops of bright color, Aloft reminds me of the W hotels, just considerably scaled down in size and less lux. Everything from room to public spaces has an almost outsized contemporary vibe, which plays down the economy employed here.

The standard room is divided by a wall, bedroom on one side and just about everything else on the other, the latter being bathroom, closet, and appliances.

The good and bad:

+ Smart use of a smaller space, high ceilings, big windows with sky views, long bench (can double as seating, luggage storage, or even an extra bed for a smaller person), good desk space, walk-in shower only (possibly a minus if a tub is desired), lots of outlets, expected appliances (safe, microwave, refrigerator), free wi-fi, free parking, free bottled water

- Limited closet/drawer space (expect to live out of a suitcase), no bathroom vent, minimal onsite eateries

Close to the airport (with free shuttle service) and a short stroll to the TriMet MAX Red Line Cascade Station, along with a standard mall. There is nothing else of interest nearby, but the rest of Portland may be reached via the MAX line.

Aloft is not for traditional North American travelers expecting the space, layout, and storage real estate of standard hotel rooms. But for low-maintenance travelers or those not staying long, Aloft is an affordable and pleasing place to stay. And for the one night I was there, perfectly satisfactory.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for five nights...great price, good location very near the airport and close to some chain-store shopping including the Portland IKEA. They were very welcoming to our dog, provided a bed and bowls and treats for her. The lobby is very cool, with a hip bar, stylish furniture, even a pool table. Nice workout facilities and a small indoor pool. The rooms are a bit small but very nicely laid out, with all the cool techno gadgets. I was able to borrow a cable from the front desk and jack my iPad straight into the big flat screen TV, then streamed a Netflix movie over the free Wi-fi. We'll definitely be coming back.

Stayed January 2013
1 Thank John T
Seattle
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Really didn't spend much time on the property, just needed a room before an early am flight out of PDX. Newer property, good location with plenty of dining options, close (free shuttle) to the airport. The place is trying to be different, and in this cookie cutter world of hotel rooms, maybe that is a good thing. Staff was friendly, if you need a room near the Portland Airport, this is a solid option.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 007DAWG
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at aloft for a one night stay before an early morning flight home out of the Portland International Airport. This was a great hotel! It was very close to the airport, clean, with a nicely equipped room. It was certainly on the trendy side and newer which were both nice. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I visited Christmas Eve with my boyfriend and LLOVVEEDD the hotel! The person at the desk at 1130pm when we checked in was super nice! They were able to accommodate my top floor room request which was great too!

The look and the feel of the hotel was FLAWLESS!! VERY contemporary and modern.

If I HAD to nitpick, the bathroom could do without the sliding door and perhaps use an exaust fan. My partner didnt enjoy the bed and bedding (said they were both too rough).. but thats really the only room for improvement I can see.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PepsiCub
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed December 24, 2012

...they got it going on! On checking in, I discovered my room was near the elevator which I prefer to stay away from to avoid noisy late night guests coming "home". I called the front desk and they had me moved in 5 minutes. The lounge is hip & comfortable for having clients pop in. Live jazz during the week. I'm not a TV watcher but decided to rent a movie on my first night. The TV was having problems. When I called the front desk to let them know about it, they were very polite and had Dave, the hotel engineer, up to the room in a flash to address and repair the problem. I always recommend aloft as THE place to stay in Portland - close to the airport and rail, plenty of restaurants nearby and the most courteous staff in the hotel industry. I'm looking forward to trying more aloft hotels in the future!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business